THE OFFICIAL BEAT THE GOOMOOS AT THE STU THREAD

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
As you can see above before Rhoades became coach at VCU in the last 11 years VCU won no less than 24 games. Since Rhoades has been there we have only won 24 games once. Each of the last 3 coaches before him won a NCAA tournament game with in the first or second year, Rhoades lost to UCF. For those of you that cant see the decline you have on blinders.
This is what you do. Get on Venmo and send a big chunk of money to the Ram Athletic Fund—-at least five digits left of the decimal....perhaps approaching six if you are serious. Then you will get more attention than you ever would have wanted and can share all your opinions and articles with Ed, President Rao and maybe even Mike.

I can appreciate that you don’t think much of Mike’s performance as coach, you have made it clear. Not sure I understand the incessant posting on the matter since your POV is crystal clear and really very few on this forum have any influence to do anything about it.

You want change, then belly up to the bar, give a sick donation and all the people who can affect the coaching situation will be all ears. Short of that, we know where you stand!

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
As you can see above before Rhoades became coach at VCU in the last 11 years VCU won no less than 24 games. Since Rhoades has been there we have only won 24 games once. Each of the last 3 coaches before him won a NCAA tournament game with in the first or second year, Rhoades lost to UCF. For those of you that cant see the decline you have on blinders.
Yeah and you know what Mike Rhoades has done that neither Wade nor Shaka did while here.... won the outright regular season title for conference. Shaka never won a single regular season title, and the only regular season title Wade got us was a 3-way split between Dayton & the Bonnies. Sure we got the #1 seed in the tourney... but still no outright regular season title.

And honestly, had it not been for an injury to Marcus Evans, one could assume that we would've had a good chance of winning that game in the A10 Tourney and possibly making a run in the A10 Tourney, who knows how far we woulda gone. Which if we had done that, we likely would not have been in an 8/9 matchup against Tacko Fall & UCF which was a match up nightmare.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Apr 22, 2009
The referendum for Rhoades job over 1 loss to Mason is stupid.

Here are facts:

At this point of the season this VCU team was tied for the fourth most sucessful season in terms of won/loss % in vcu history with least experienced team in vcu history.

We are 16-5 and 9-3 in conferencd tied for first and some of you guys want to dump rhoades.

Every team has a flat game.

Lets see how this team responds tonthe last 2 gsmes.

Jan 15, 2020
Sometimes you have to take a couple of steps backwards before moving forward. Especially if you are following someone like Will Wade. One of the first things you do when cleaning out a house is to take out the trash. Sometimes, when it relates to D1 basketball, that can take a couple of years.

I understand that. Last year was toxic. I would know unfortunately too well thanks to certain player’s families. The chemistry is a 1000x better. Having said that we’re entering a awkward realm of transfers now and if things went south there’s a chance it makes some of our guys rethink their commitment possibly. I’d feel much better if we get to the NCAAs. I will say looking at the record it does concern me that only one time under Rhoades we’ve made it to 20 wins when we did that every year since 06. Of course competition has to be take into account with the CAA vs A10. I’m not gonna worry myself too much but it’s noticeable now that I look at it. Like you said though lots of clean up was needed.

Nov 26, 2017
I understand that. Last year was toxic. I would know unfortunately too well thanks to certain player’s families. The chemistry is a 1000x better. Having said that we’re entering a awkward realm of transfers now and if things went south there’s a chance it makes some of our guys rethink their commitment possibly. I’d feel much better if we get to the NCAAs. I will say looking at the record it does concern me that only one time under Rhoades we’ve made it to 20 wins when we did that every year since 06. Of course competition has to be take into account with the CAA vs A10. I’m not gonna worry myself too much but it’s noticeable now that I look at it. Like you said though lots of clean up was needed.
Thanks for being real!

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
played parts of 2 years (freshman and senior year) - benchwarmer - career points less than 70 (no idea why not on roster his sophmore and junior years)
you maybe right that they will pick him but not sure he will be successful and get BC in top half of ACC (will not be hard to improve on Christian tenure)
Personally I would shoot higher if I was BC AD and follow VCU path (Capel and Smart) and find a young, hungry guy in his early 30s and give him 5 years
I think BC is in a tough spot.

A guy like Schmidt has 2 NCAA appearances in 13 seasons which isn’t going to wow donors at BC. I think Schmidt would be a very good hire, but ACC donors don’t care if you do well in Olean, they need to see obvious success.

I think an assistant is their best route too.

Reactions: share the ball

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
This is what you do. Get on Venmo and send a big chunk of money to the Ram Athletic Fund—-at least five digits left of the decimal....perhaps approaching six if you are serious. Then you will get more attention than you ever would have wanted and can share all your opinions and articles with Ed, President Rao and maybe even Mike.

I can appreciate that you don’t think much of Mike’s performance as coach, you have made it clear. Not sure I understand the incessant posting on the matter since your POV is crystal clear and really very few on this forum have any influence to do anything about it.

You want change, then belly up to the bar, give a sick donation and all the people who can affect the coaching situation will be all ears. Short of that, we know where you stand!
These are some stone cold facts right here.

I have a good friend who nancies about MR all the time, but him and his dad have season tickets to the football team that plays football in Landover, MD. Complaining about a college coach, but giving Dan Snyder makes ZERO sense,

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
The referendum for Rhoades job over 1 loss to Mason is stupid.

Here are facts:

At this point of the season this VCU team was tied for the fourth most sucessful season in terms of won/loss % in vcu history with least experienced team in vcu history.

We are 16-5 and 9-3 in conferencd tied for first and some of you guys want to dump rhoades.

Every team has a flat game.

Lets see how this team responds tonthe last 2 gsmes.
Just do not start anymore game threads !!! The rest will take care of itself.

• Haha
Reactions: SWV

duncanlamb

Top Member
Apr 22, 2009
Just do not start anymore game threads !!! The rest will take care of itself.

Lol..Big E was the one who started the official thread in our 12pt loss to west virginia, our 3 pt loss to penn st., 18 point loss to URI and 16 pt loss to St. Bonny.

He was also the game thread starter during
our season ending 8 game collapse last season...

Mason has won 3 out of the last 4 at VCU. I wasnt the thread starter in previous 3.

In other words, it doesnt matter who starts them

But I wont start any more.

VAHills

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2013
Lol..Big E was the one who started the official thread in our 12pt loss to west virginia, our 3 pt loss to penn st., 18 point loss to URI and 16 pt loss to St. Bonny.

He was also the game thread starter during
our season ending 8 game collapse last season...

Mason has won 3 out of the last 4 at VCU. I wasnt the thread starter in previous 3.

In other words, it doesnt matter who starts them.
I've got to say, I disagree with you. Not because it has any impact on the game, but this community has established the rule for this and it's been going for as long as I've been on the board. And you know it too, and chose to unilaterally do your own thing. You take some ribbing, but I think you're generally a respected contributor, so its disappointing you chose not to respect the tradition.

Reactions: TampaKAP

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
It was in an article about him going to Boston College.
This was also said in the article.....
The ACC’s footprint is aligned with Coach Rhoades’s experience and the conference is a step-up from the Atlantic-10. BC as a program is definitely in much worse shape than VCU, but its eventual recruiting potential under the right leader with a good rebuild is higher. Asking a coach to leave a consistently successful program like VCU for a struggling one in rebuild mode is a weak argument. But if the 48-year-old Rhoades is confident in himself and is looking at long-term potential, then he may be interested.

Why it could work:

Rhoades has a lot of experience on the east coast, especially in the ACC’s mid-Atlantic footprint, and has coached high-performing teams. He took over the reins from some successful VCU coaches, sure, but he has the depth of experience to know what to do with them himself. It would take a while to see a program like BC eventually flourish under him, but Rhoades has the tools to make it happen.
Are you really telling me that DC Dan cherry picked from the article?! 😲

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
Yeah and you know what Mike Rhoades has done that neither Wade nor Shaka did while here.... won the outright regular season title for conference. Shaka never won a single regular season title, and the only regular season title Wade got us was a 3-way split between Dayton & the Bonnies.
Smart and Wade also never had us playing national top-10 defense.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Apr 22, 2009
I've got to say, I disagree with you. Not because it has any impact on the game, but this community has established the rule for this and it's been going for as long as I've been on the board. And you know it too, and chose to unilaterally do your own thing. You take some ribbing, but I think you're generally a respected contributor, so its disappointing you chose not to respect the tradition.

I did because it was the day before the game and we didnt have a thread yet. Normally Big E puts one up 3 - 4 days before the game.

That is all.

My only point is the thread starter is not linked to game performance.

I wont start any more threads.

Reactions: VAHills

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
If this were a normal season, we'd have WELL over 20 wins.