THE OFFICIAL BEAT THE GOOMOOS AT THE STU THREAD

Jan 15, 2020
Smart and Wade also never had us playing national top-10 defense.
No but we were ranked quite a bit. Pretty high no less sometimes. We can play this comparison all day though. All that matters is what happens the rest of the year and then see where things stand next year.
If this were a normal season, we'd have WELL over 20 wins.
I mean you’d think but that’s all hypothetical but yeah that’s probably fair to say. Regardless it is still notable that through Grant, Shaka, and Wade we always got to 20 and honestly usually 25 but we only made it once under Rhoades. Given the first year was a wash honestly with everything that happened. Last year was a catastrophe. Hard to say in this weird year what happens.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I understand that. Last year was toxic. I would know unfortunately too well thanks to certain player’s families. The chemistry is a 1000x better. Having said that we’re entering a awkward realm of transfers now and if things went south there’s a chance it makes some of our guys rethink their commitment possibly. I’d feel much better if we get to the NCAAs. I will say looking at the record it does concern me that only one time under Rhoades we’ve made it to 20 wins when we did that every year since 06. Of course competition has to be take into account with the CAA vs A10. I’m not gonna worry myself too much but it’s noticeable now that I look at it. Like you said though lots of clean up was needed.

Most teams will not make it to 20 wins this year. VCU leads the A-10 with 16 wins. The next closest team in wins in the A-10 is Dayton at 12 wins. UVA leads the ACC with 15 wins. Creighton leads the Big East with 16 wins. Ohio State leads the BIG with 18 wins. Baylor leads the Big 12 with 17 wins.

Other than Gonzaga, who is at 22 wins, the only other D1 teams to reach 20 wins this season are Belmont (23 wins), Drake (21 wins) and Winthrop (20 wins). Outside of Gonzaga, all three schools are mid-major schools.

This season will always have an asterisk (*) by it, but I think Coach Rhoades and staff have done as good of a job as anyone in the A-10 this year.

Feb 14, 2011
Most teams will not make it to 20 wins this year. VCU leads the A-10 with 16 wins. The next closest team in wins in the A-10 is Dayton at 12 wins. UVA leads the ACC with 15 wins. Creighton leads the Big East with 16 wins. Ohio State leads the BIG with 18 wins. Baylor leads the Big 12 with 17 wins.

Other than Gonzaga, who is at 22 wins, the only other D1 teams to reach 20 wins this season are Belmont (23 wins), Drake (21 wins) and Winthrop (20 wins). Outside of Gonzaga, all three schools are mid-major schools.

This season will always have an asterisk (*) by it, but I think Coach Rhoades and staff have done as good of a job as anyone in the A-10 this year.
A good job on and off the court. I get why many fans judge success by NCCA appearances but some also judge the success of the program in the bigger picture. If I were a parent of a scholarship athlete, I would feel pretty confident sending my kid off to VCU under the athletic leadership we currently have and not only Men's Basketball.

Jan 15, 2020
A good job on and off the court. I get why many fans judge success by NCCA appearances but some also judge the success of the program in the bigger picture. If I were a parent of a scholarship athlete, I would feel pretty confident sending my kid off to VCU under the athletic leadership we currently have and not only Men's Basketball.
In fairness to the ones judging by NCAAs potential recruits do care about the success as well as the stability. Look at some programs that are normally powers but had investigation or something happen that devastated their recruiting because of fear of punishment such as NCAA bans. It would be awesome if we could say look at this fine university in VA in the heart of a city and our great athletic facilities and that was enough. Players want to know they can win at a high level and showcase their talents. That’s why winning A10 and making good NCAA appearances are critical. I mean players looked at how many times we made the NCAAs in a row years ago and felt really good about the sustainability because we’re there every year. If we start missing regularly it will put doubt in the minds of potential recruits. That’s unfortunately the reality.

Nov 26, 2017
Your butt-buddy David Cox sucks as a coach and Rhody fans think he sucks too, so I’d console him before you provide half-ass takes about our current coach.
First of all Im not sure how Dave Cox got into this but VCU fans should really have nothing to say about Cox the way he has been whooping our a$$. And if the truth be told if Russell had played the last game they would have won that too.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
First of all Im not sure how Dave Cox got into this but VCU fans should really have nothing to say about Cox the way he has been whooping our a$$. And if the truth be told if Russell had played the last game they would have won that too.
You need a tissue...got a little David Cox on your chin

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Anyone want to talk about how Ace played like he’s been doing this a long time? 6 steals and we might not have even gotten to overtime if he didn’t get that stop and steal to get us that last shot at the end of regulation.

Bones went out and we could have folded like a cheap suit, but we didn’t. Kept fighting and a true freshman PG was the guy who wanted the ball in his hands looking to make the big play.

This result sucks, but I’m downright giddy about Ace Baldwin. Kid missed some but he was taking every shot, making every cut and pass to put us in a position to win the game.

I can’t remember the last time we had a true freshman PG who wanted to put the team on his back and carry it and the moment didn’t look too big for them.

When Ace is a senior he’s gonna be winning a lot of games for VCU in these situations. Heck, might be a whole lot sooner than that.

We had a crap game and a crap result, but I know a gamer when I see one.

We have a big-time floor general in the making on our hands if you ask me.
This post aged amazingly.

A whole lot sooner than that. Try the next game. 🤯

Feb 14, 2011
In fairness to the ones judging by NCAAs potential recruits do care about the success as well as the stability. Look at some programs that are normally powers but had investigation or something happen that devastated their recruiting because of fear of punishment such as NCAA bans. It would be awesome if we could say look at this fine university in VA in the heart of a city and our great athletic facilities and that was enough. Players want to know they can win at a high level and showcase their talents. That’s why winning A10 and making good NCAA appearances are critical. I mean players looked at how many times we made the NCAAs in a row years ago and felt really good about the sustainability because we’re there every year. If we start missing regularly it will put doubt in the minds of potential recruits. That’s unfortunately the reality.
It's an individual thing why and how someone supports the university and the athletics. You could also consider is it Student first then Athlete or Athlete first then Student.

Jan 15, 2020
It's an individual thing why and how someone supports the university and the athletics. You could also consider is it Student first then Athlete or Athlete first then Student.
But again there’s reasons certain colleges will get players. Look at Duke. Coach K and his success. Roy Williams and his success. Coach Cal use to be there but Kentucky’s name alone holds weight. Players want to see you have stability and success. If I’m a player that wants a shot at possibly a national title and get exposure to make it to the next level do I want the program in rebuild that’s not been making tourneys that I could be the star or the one that makes the tourney regularly and I’ll compete for mins but I showcase myself definitely at a high level. That answer is easy for many recruits. As much as I live our fans and new facilities recruits look at coaches and what a college is doing. That’s why UCLA struggles often in major sports. They have a great location, great facilities, etc but they think players will just come there because it’s UCLA. This ain’t the 50s. Players don’t need LA, NY, etc to be seen now. They just need a stable program with big ambitions.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
But again there’s reasons certain colleges will get players. Look at Duke. Coach K and his success. Roy Williams and his success. Coach Cal use to be there but Kentucky’s name alone holds weight. Players want to see you have stability and success. If I’m a player that wants a shot at possibly a national title and get exposure to make it to the next level do I want the program in rebuild that’s not been making tourneys that I could be the star or the one that makes the tourney regularly and I’ll compete for mins but I showcase myself definitely at a high level. That answer is easy for many recruits. As much as I live our fans and new facilities recruits look at coaches and what a college is doing. That’s why UCLA struggles often in major sports. They have a great location, great facilities, etc but they think players will just come there because it’s UCLA. This ain’t the 50s. Players don’t need LA, NY, etc to be seen now. They just need a stable program with big ambitions.
This is poor self-awareness. Big win lots to talk about but I will go back continue to argue in this jinxed thread.

Reactions: PRock

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Insert Erkle GIF here.
I love that guy!

It is Urkel by the way.

Reactions: Newboy