The Official Beat the Greyhounds of Loyola University in the Animal

duncanlamb

Top Member
Apr 22, 2009
Sometimes players don't move without the ball if they don't anticipate getting a pass if there're open. Just saying.
nope. they are expecting the pass...they aren't moving to receive....

something else...they aren't finishing around the rim.. when witchita st was ahead 16-6....Evan's thru passes corey on the screen and roll...one was blocked and the other he get fouled but missed both ft's. that at least one assist and 2 freebies on the table...four points right there.... then there was the backdoor bounce pass to corey...Corey mishandled the ball at the rim and witchita state stole it..Evan's statistically gets blamed for the turnovers....

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
I like the way Jenkins is playing this year. Too many people seem to forget that scoring is just one part of the game. As of now, DJ is playing the best defense of his life. He has career highs in rebounds, steals and FT percentage. His turnovers are down by half a turnover a game, which is a lot; they have been cut in half since his sophomore season. His fouls are also down.

Yes, his three point shooting is down, but even with that his scoring average is lower by one point per game. It is down 1.2 points per game in 2 less minutes per game. In half our games, he has been at least 40% from three. Do I wish he would hit every shot, sure. However, from where I sit, DJ is having a good season so far.

Dr Joe

Top Member
Insider
Oct 12, 2017
that's not true. jenkins and vann were moving with out the ball last year. It's one of the reasons why our offense was efficient during the streak.
IMO Good teams pass the ball with purpose, create spacing through moving without the ball and constantly fine the open man on the weak side. Good teams anticipate that if they get open they will get the ball with time to set their feet and take good shots. We do that some of the time but not enough. Instead, we tend to try to go alone against the defense. Again, that works but is not consistent. We have always been better at transition offense initiated by pressure defense. Again, works sometimes but not always. Last year we added half court defense that is as good as anybody’s. The missing piece is now half court offense that is more team oriented (which is hard to impliment when the players are used to beating people one on one). If we can add offense that takes advantage of a penetrator, a shooter, a slicer, and an undersized post player with great lateral moves we can be really good. If we add that we can bring five more players who can change the whole style of the game we could be even better. The dilemma is to give up the second five for a more traditional starting five with subs. Time will tell which way MR chooses to go but I am sure he is the coach to make the choice.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
10 OOC wins plus a Top 3 or so finish in the A10 usually means 20+ wins and a puncher's chance in the Big Dance....
That being said, our guys have 2 games with Dayton/Rhody/FuR/Davidson....buuuuuuuuut, that's a Future Ram problem, and Loyola should be a pushover.

Let's see 2 complete halves

Go Rams!!!
Two complete halves. Jenkins, Evans, and IV all have to get on track.

Its Go Time and there won't be many easy outs in the A10 this year.

Go Rams!

Phil Braswell

Top Member
Jun 24, 2015
I like the way Jenkins is playing this year. Too many people seem to forget that scoring is just one part of the game. As of now, DJ is playing the best defense of his life. He has career highs in rebounds, steals and FT percentage. His turnovers are down by half a turnover a game, which is a lot; they have been cut in half since his sophomore season. His fouls are also down.

Yes, his three point shooting is down, but even with that his scoring average is lower by one point per game. It is down 1.2 points per game in 2 less minutes per game. In half our games, he has been at least 40% from three. Do I wish he would hit every shot, sure. However, from where I sit, DJ is having a good season so far.
Jenkins overall FG % is not good, however, I do agree he is having an excellent year on defense.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
nope. they are expecting the pass...they aren't moving to receive....

something else...they aren't finishing around the rim.. when witchita st was ahead 16-6....Evan's thru passes corey on the screen and roll...one was blocked and the other he get fouled but missed both ft's. that at least one assist and 2 freebies on the table...four points right there.... then there was the backdoor bounce pass to corey...Corey mishandled the ball at the rim and witchita state stole it..Evan's statistically gets blamed for the turnovers....
So you're basically advancing the theory that Evans' turnovers were mainly the fault of other players, his lack of assists were the fault of other players. So at what point will you claim his missed shots were the fault of his teammates? I didn't think you could top your "DJ Haley could be the next Roy Hibbert" theory but you're entering that territory.

Here's the problem, you could go through that same exercise and dissect video with every player to retroactively prove whatever narrative you pre-determined. You see how that worked out with Haley.

Mar 1, 2015
Evans career tov and ast are 3.2 and 3.2. This year he is 2.9 and 2.3. His career +/- is 3.6 on offense and -0.6 on defense. This year he 3.6 and -0.5. The only thing dramatically different is his fg% from 2, which is 38% (career 52%). Vann, Jenkins, and Simms are down a little, but much more in line with last year and career averages. If anyone is struggling a bit to convert in the lane, its Evans.

Evans is no doubt talented, but fans have built him up in their minds into something he isn’t. I don’t think he is as impactful as many want to believe. He is a good player, but not good enough to play the way he plays. His over dribbling, ball hoarding, and lack of setting others up for open looks and layup are limiting this squad.

As for DJ, he is great in transition. Catch and shoot 3s, euro steps to the rim etc. When he is with Hyland and Curry, he gets a lot more of it. When Evans is on the floor, we clear a rebound, hand it to Evans and he dribbles up the floor behind the defense and starts grinding. Very little fast break offense. I think more VW with the usual starters and more DJ with the usual 2nd unit. You would see DJs offense open up some more.

RonnieDobbs

Top Member
May 20, 2009
Win or lose, I want to see the guys out there having fun. Rhoades made the "walking on eggshells" comment a while back and that stuck with me. As a fan, it's just plain more enjoyable to watch when players are relaxed and having fun. Sure, it's easy for me to say and it's much easier said than done. But that's what I think. In fact, I often think about Shaka's old "ACL" slogan - aggressive, confident, and loose, when I'm playing tennis or another sport, or really just life in general.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Apr 22, 2009
So you're basically advancing the theory that Evans' turnovers were mainly the fault of other players, his lack of assists were the fault of other players. So at what point will you claim his missed shots were the fault of his teammates?
It's not a theory. It's an axiom. An assist consists an 2 players: The player making the pass and the receiver who converts the field goal.

It's not player 1's fault when player 2 can't finish.

Reactions: Celticguy
Mar 1, 2015
It's not a theory. It's an axiom. An assist consists an 2 players: The player making the pass and the receiver who converts the field goal.

Evans has the second lowest FG % from 2 on the roster. Only Crowfield is lower. If he converted more, DJ and Vann may theoretically have more assists. Not realistic though since 95 percent of his shots are one on one.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009

So when player 1 has more assists than player 2, it's mainly just a matter of luck? Player 2 was just more lucky in passing to players who hit shots? We really need to reevaluate John Stockton and Magic Johnson's hall of fame credentials.

SZQ VCU

Top Member
Insider
Dec 5, 2012
Which is why I think he doesn't get the calls some of the times when he thinks he should.
And from what I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong) is refs are calling this "attempt to foul" less. Gone the way of the flop.

Reactions: SpiderRAM
Nov 20, 2019
So when player 1 has more assists than player 2, it's mainly just a matter of luck? Player 2 was just more lucky in passing to players who hit shots? We really need to reevaluate John Stockton and Magic Johnson's hall of fame credentials.
Some of it is luck. For simple math, let's say a shooter in the corner is a 50% shooter from 3. If player 1 and 2 send him the exact same pass (same speed, catch location, timing, etc), he will (based on his average) only make one of them. So one of those two players gets lucky and gets an assist while the other doesn't.