The Official Beat the Jacksonville State University Gamecocks Thread

Definitely major trap game potential here, although Jacksonville State graduated pretty much all of their production from their 24-win season last year. They're a well-coached team and seem to have some pretty decent underclassman talent, so it's definitely worth not looking past them especially considering we're probably their biggest non-conference game.
We are back to being everyone's super bowl

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
Agree, would be a nice luxury though for the long term if one or both did.
Going strictly on the current makeup of the team and the 4 incoming freshmen next year, Tre Clark needs to get some run a PG this year. As of today, we have two PG's next year Bones and Ace. The staff needs to know if Tre can fill the role that Crow fills this year or if they need to consider the options

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Going strictly on the current makeup of the team and the 4 incoming freshmen next year, Tre Clark needs to get some run a PG this year. As of today, we have two PG's next year Bones and Ace. The staff needs to know if Tre can fill the role that Crow fills this year or if they need to consider the options

You can get a sense for those things in practice and save a year unless necessary. If a player is going to play less than 100 minutes this year, why burn the year—its better for both to develop mind, body and game

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
You can get a sense for those things in practice and save a year unless necessary. If a player is going to play less than 100 minutes this year, why burn the year—its better for both to develop mind, body and game
Curry played 84 min last year and maybe if he had redshirted things would have still worked out but it is what it is. PJ is a fine young man by all accounts but I feel that the the staff was in a much better position to have the hard conversation with him playing than just practice assessment. HI practice assessment is what got him the 300 min he played last year

Beirne

Elite Member
tumblr_inline_p6kn9qgvRY1smt1iz_540.gif

Personally, I'd hate to be the Gamecocks right now.
I think the boys have tasted a big victory, and now they're HUNGRY!

Looking forward to seeing Ward, McAllister and Clarke again in these next few cupcake games.
So, was St. Francis and North Texas cupcakes too? There's a lot of parity in Div. I basketball, a lot of good players. As soon as you don't bring your "A" game, because you think someone's a cupcake, is when you take it on the chin. I know Mike's not approaching this game as though these guys are cupcakes.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Curry played 84 min last year and maybe if he had redshirted things would have still worked out but it is what it is. PJ is a fine young man by all accounts but I feel that the the staff was in a much better position to have the hard conversation with him playing than just practice assessment. HI practice assessment is what got him the 300 min he played last year

That’s a great assessment of last year’s situation. Definitely see the logic of the perspective. This year, i’d keep the RS option available until one of two things happen:

1) need emerges due to availability challenges
2) player shows they can contribute and should be in the 10 man rotation (or close enough to compete)

Playing spot duty with the other reserves in garbage time has limited value

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
That’s a great assessment of last year’s situation. Definitely see the logic of the perspective. This year, i’d keep the RS option available until one of two things happen:

1) need emerges due to availability challenges
2) player shows they can contribute and should be in the 10 man rotation (or close enough to compete)

Playing spot duty with the other reserves in garbage time has limited value
I can agree with your take and certainly the staff has all the insight. Players 12 and 13 are usually insurance players. You hope you don't need them but should the need arise you want to know your policy has good coverage.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
So last night was my 199th win (in terms of games I've attended... both home & away).... that means Jacksonville State will be my 200th win on Sunday! Don't ask me why I started keeping track of that because I do not know why, but it's cool nonetheless.

So, was St. Francis and North Texas cupcakes too? There's a lot of parity in Div. I basketball, a lot of good players. As soon as you don't bring your "A" game, because you think someone's a cupcake, is when you take it on the chin. I know Mike's not approaching this game as though these guys are cupcakes.
Yes they are cupcakes.
Yes cupcakes cannot be looked past (though sometimes they are either by the team or a few).
But they were scheduled because they should be very beatable. And being favored by double digits settles that.