The Official Beat the Keaney Blue Rams in Rhode Island Thread

Nov 26, 2017
I apologize if this has already been covered but I am just getting home from the sports bar from watching that BS. MR is Dave Cox's female dog. Just bend over and take it why don't you. I blame the entire coaching staff because it seems like no one will step up to him and say( man this team has been kicking our ass, can we try something different?). HHHHEEEELLLLLLLLLOOOOO you don't match up with these guys and keep doing the same thing. At least make Russell use his right hand if nothing else. Don't let the guy keep beating with his left hand all night long. That is the ABC's of coaching and I'm sorry but MR does not have it. The blue print has been set on how to beat this guy and unfortunately it keeps happening on national TV. Wichita St banged us on the inside, Dayton banged us on the inside and RI has done it to us twice. I hate to say this but I think the fans just need to get used to being mediocre. MR is trying to reinvent the game by trying to force one style of play, and not calling a time outs when needed. SMH

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
I don’t want to say Rhody is our daddy, then I realize that’s where our last name comes from. Checks out.
I laughed. I don't get this they have our number narrative, though. When SLU was really good we never said they had our number. Same for Saint Joe's.

Reactions: VAHills
Nov 26, 2017
Just let Dowtin graduate. They'll be back to relative obscurity in short order.
Obviously you don't know too much about Dave Cox. He was on the staff at Pittsburgh when they beat VCU in the NCAA tournament a few years back. He also was on Georgetown's staff under Thompson. He was the assistant head coach at Rutgers before he moved to the assistant under Hurley at RI. More importantly, he also coached the DC assault(AAU team) in which Kevin Durant, Beasley, Carmelo and many, many more played for. Don't expect his recruiting to drop off at all. He has a direct pipeline to the DVM. Look at his current roster.

Reactions: ATPTourFan

VAHills

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2013
I laughed. I don't get this they have our number narrative, though. When SLU was really good we never said they had our number. Same for Saint Joe's.
We can certainly beat them in theory, we just don’t. Fatts gets them into their offense so fast and they get so many second chance opportunities that it makes us look like a D3 school. I will say, maybe the mantra is “we do what we do”, but it’s probably good to have an alternative approach sometimes, even if it’s only used facing Rhody. Even if we don‘t do it as well, because option 1 isn’t working.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
Obviously you don't know too much about Dave Cox. He was on the staff at Pittsburgh when they beat VCU in the NCAA tournament a few years back. He also was on Georgetown's staff under Thompson. He was the assistant head coach at Rutgers before he moved to the assistant under Hurley at RI. More importantly, he also coached the DC assault(AAU team) in which Kevin Durant, Beasley, Carmelo and many, many more played for. Don't expect his recruiting to drop off at all. He has a direct pipeline to the DVM. Look at his current roster.
I cannot imagine anything I give less of a sh¡t about than David Cox's recruiting unless it's your opinion of it.

AlienAiden

Insider
May 3, 2012
We can certainly beat them in theory, we just don’t. Fatts gets them into their offense so fast and they get so many second chance opportunities that it makes us look like a D3 school. I will say, maybe the mantra is “we do what we do”, but it’s probably good to have an alternative approach sometimes, even if it’s only used facing Rhody. Even if we don‘t do it as well, because option 1 isn’t working.
Well, pressing Jeff Dowtin and Fatts Russell is kind of dumb.

HTTRams!

Top Member
Jan 18, 2014
I know I’ve been tough on ME, and tho he still plays out of control....I thought he had a pretty decent game today. It was insane how many calls they had, like for example, the phantom foul on Fatts three point shot, reminded me of last years phantom call on ME. Sucks he was 2-5 from the charity stripe, but I don’t blame him, ME hustled like crazy!!! He had some dumb passes, and tho some of you think I hate him, I’m so happy he is a Ram.

I wasn’t expecting us to win this game when they hit double digits, not being a pessimist when I say that. Us going down 29 at one point was so rough but, and I told my friends who went to Mason, I don’t care that we were down so much....:I care how we respond, and boy did we respond. Had it not been for some lucky bounces and calls, we could have stolen this game. I’m disappointed in this team overall, and that’s just my competitive side from playing ball all my life, but I am so so proud of how we responded tonight and I think if we make the tournament, we will make noise.

Please don’t get frustrated with me because I’m critical, I come in peace and with respect, I’m just so frustrated and had some pretty high expectations this season, which I didn’t really have before.

Go Rams!!

Last edited:

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
Yeah, I see that both ways. Definitely get where you're coming from. Styles make fights though, and pressing a dual PG lineup is pretty tough.

I'd actually prefer to see us put Dowtin or Russell in a PNR every single possession to pile up some fouls or bury them under the basket if we draw a mismatch and try to deal with it that way.

I also don't much care about the recent record. Two years back I'm good with writing off that whole season aside from recruiting and player development (MSS is a far, far cry from his freshman year). Last year we lost a close one at their place, beat holy heck out of them in Richmond, and had that season's most important player go down with a comfortable lead in the rubber match. Was annoyed by losing at home this year, not too much so tonight other than wanting the rematch.

Reactions: Havoc2Ut2

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
What do you contribute to winning? While ME is having a tough year, I constantly see him coaching up the younger players and cheering them on when he's on the bench. He's a leader. While his results are disappointing this year, he's sewing success into the future of this program. I give kudos for that and will remember his present contributions to our future success.
This is a solid point. However disappointed we are with the results thus far, you can bet ME is much more so. The kid breathes competitiveness. I don't know what our chemistry problem is this year, but it surely isn't due to a lack of effort on his part.

Reactions: share the ball

WI.Ram10

Top Member
Aug 4, 2017
Really hope (like I said last time we played them) that ace Baldwin plays just like Fatts Russell. Love that guy. It’s amazing cuz I can’t stand URI. Fatts is the truth tho

WI.Ram10

Top Member
Aug 4, 2017
It's going to be hard to replace 5 seniors. The young kids have talent, but life is going to get tougher on them when the defense starts keying on them. They are talented enough to overcome, but it's going to be an adjustment.
True, but other than the fact they they are seniors, who cares? Not saying it about this team, but more generalizing, what good is a senior if a senior doesn’t play like a senior.