The Official Beat the Keaney Blue Rams in Rhode Island Thread

May 19, 2015
Yeah, they saved URI tonight. When it got close, the whistles started to blow.
I'm amazed that most didn't see that, when we fought to get it within 9 points, the refs started calling more obvious BS calls to save uri's arse. Even the announcers were commenting on the lame call on VCU. Yes, the good guys dug a helluva hole in the first half but that doesn't mean they were not entitled the right to dig themselves out in the 2nd half. It just seemed the refs were not going to have it. Just like the ref's weren't going to allow UCF to get the flagrant call against Duke in the NCAA. Even though EVERYONE knew it was a hook and hold, it would have waived off Zion's shot and given UCF two shots and the ball. At minimum, the foul should have been reviewed if in question, but it was Duke. Talk about ensuring a team does not realize an upset. uri is at home. The refs weren't about to bring the house down by allowing a turnaround in the game. Too much energy to allow that to happen.

Reactions: RamDanFan

SwiftyClown

Top Member
Nov 19, 2011
The preseason rankings got everybody's hopes up. We're an average ncaa tourney team which I suppose is ok I guess but likely a 1st game exit. Maybe we'll be better next year with Bones a year more experienced and running the point.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
The preseason rankings got everybody's hopes up. We're an average ncaa tourney team which I suppose is ok I guess but likely a 1st game exit. Maybe we'll be better next year with Bones a year more experienced and running the point.
Preseason rankings are cool and something to be proud of, but the reality is they don't mean squat. Just a bunch of opinions based on nothing tangible that happened in the current season. Everything was based on the expectation that a team that did well the previous season would perform even better the next season since we have a ton of experience with a senior heavy roster.

We still have time to get it together, but the sand is rapidly running down the hour glass.

Nov 26, 2017
If you're on the court stinking up the joint, are you suggesting just keep them on the court? When we were getting blown out, you still want MR to limit his rotation to 8 players? Maybe the play on the court dictates the long stretches players are on the floor. We didn't play better because players were on the court for longer stretches. The players were on the court for longer stretches because they were playing better.

I think people are once again reaching for explanation. Playing zone, shortening the rotation, pressing, not pressing, none of this is going to matter if the players aren't playing with heart, not playing focus, and just overall allowed themselves to get punked on the court. You really think Rhoades instructed guys to just stand there looking at loose balls or not box out for rebounds?
Playing a zone does matter. I think there is a difference between not playing with heart,not playing focused and getting punked than just overall getting beat by a team that you don't match up well with. The reason that we were in foul trouble,got out rebounded and beat to the 50/50 balls is simple. RI is bigger, stronger and quicker than VCU. This all falls on the coach! You have to play to the situation. At least try a zone! One thing I can tell you is RI is not going to consistently beat you by jacking up 3's. Make them change their style of play, don't let them keep forcing their style on VCU. Get them out of their comfort zone. If you let a team beat you the last 4 out of 5, I'm sorry but that all falls on the coach.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
Get in and we'll see. This year of all years, the tournament is gonna be a dice roll.

May 19, 2015
Wow, so the refs couldn't possibly have had a hand in the outcome of the game in the last 8 minutes when we were down 12 with the bogus calls because we should have been able to overcome the extra free throw points and, while you are at it, how about playing without DJ because he fouled out for the first time in his career, as a coincidence. The underlined words are addressing a very specific time of the game.

May 19, 2015
Stop. Going down by 29 killed us.
With all due respect to you Newboy, we had 8 minutes and down by 12 when the refs were calling BS on our team and took DJ out of play. Lots of factors were in play in losing that game, more specifically, we did not show up to play in the first half. But, we brought ourselves within 9 points when the BS calls on VCU were phantom. At that point, when you know you cannot overcome the ref calls, it is over.

Reactions: vcumad
Apr 28, 2009
16-6 is not a "successful" team. We ran the same system last year and made the NCAAs. So if we had taken the minutes McAllister, Ward, and Clark got and played Evans, Vann and Douglas more the outcome would've been different? You also realize we had five guys with four fouls and one guy who fouled out, right?
I like the concept of using the army to wear teams down. A: We did not hit enough shots to get into a rhythm from the jump B: Rhody went straight up the middle (as they always do on us) virtually uncontested and C: We just plainly got outworked. Rebounding is about hustle . I believe they out rebounded us 2 to 1 in the first half. Defense wins games if you play defense. Transition D was not there. Although we can talk about coaching, the older players should know from experience over a couple of years what Rhody likes to do, Therefore be prepared to communicate and adjust to the situation. If you miss a shot make up by playing hard D . Block a shot, make a steal, or just guard the ball effectively to get a stop.