The Official Beat the Keaney Blue Rams in Rhode Island Thread

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Playing a zone does matter. I think there is a difference between not playing with heart,not playing focused and getting punked than just overall getting beat by a team that you don't match up well with. The reason that we were in foul trouble,got out rebounded and beat to the 50/50 balls is simple. RI is bigger, stronger and quicker than VCU. This all falls on the coach! You have to play to the situation. At least try a zone! One thing I can tell you is RI is not going to consistently beat you by jacking up 3's. Make them change their style of play, don't let them keep forcing their style on VCU. Get them out of their comfort zone. If you let a team beat you the last 4 out of 5, I'm sorry but that all falls on the coach.
As I mentioned during the game, a zone requires more focus and discipline than playing man to man. If we're not playing focused basketball playing man to man, playing unfocused basketball in a zone would've been worse. The only way I can justify playing a zone would be under the premise of nothing else is working. But logically, playing a zone the way we were playing would've been disastrous. There's a million things we could've tried. We could've tried an all freshman line up. We could've tried a five guard lineup. The question is what's the likelihood of it working?

Mar 2, 2014
With all due respect to you Newboy, we had 8 minutes and down by 12 when the refs were calling BS on our team and took DJ out of play. Lots of factors were in play in losing that game, more specifically, we did not show up to play in the first half. But, we brought ourselves within 9 points when the BS calls on VCU were phantom. At that point, when you know you cannot overcome the ref calls, it is over.
Dude, thanks, but we got our a$$es kicked. I hate it when we blame the refs. We played soft defense ala FUR.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
URI is just better than us, and has better players. SLU is going to push us around as well.
SLU is not as good as Rhody, nor as skilled. We may lose at SLU, but that's a better match-up for us.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
With all due respect to you Newboy, we had 8 minutes and down by 12 when the refs were calling BS on our team and took DJ out of play. Lots of factors were in play in losing that game, more specifically, we did not show up to play in the first half. But, we brought ourselves within 9 points when the BS calls on VCU were phantom. At that point, when you know you cannot overcome the ref calls, it is over.
That game was over in the first half.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I'm amazed that most didn't see that, when we fought to get it within 9 points, the refs started calling more obvious BS calls to save uri's arse. Even the announcers were commenting on the lame call on VCU. Yes, the good guys dug a helluva hole in the first half but that doesn't mean they were not entitled the right to dig themselves out in the 2nd half. It just seemed the refs were not going to have it. Just like the ref's weren't going to allow UCF to get the flagrant call against Duke in the NCAA. Even though EVERYONE knew it was a hook and hold, it would have waived off Zion's shot and given UCF two shots and the ball. At minimum, the foul should have been reviewed if in question, but it was Duke. Talk about ensuring a team does not realize an upset. uri is at home. The refs weren't about to bring the house down by allowing a turnaround in the game. Too much energy to allow that to happen.
Here's the question I always ask when people complain about refs, do you also look for BS calls that went against URI? Or do you think all the bad calls were against VCU? I would bet anything if we came back and won that game, the URI message board would be full of complaints about calls the refs made in our favor.

Reactions: Bridgewater83
Mar 2, 2014
Here's the question I always ask when people complain about refs, do you also look for BS calls that went against URI? Or do you think all the bad calls were against VCU? I would bet anything if we came back and won that game, the URI message board would be full of complaints about calls the refs made in our favor.
You know, even though they won, their message board probably still has complaints about the refs, as do all message boards during games.

Reactions: Mistachill

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Yep, calls go both ways typically whether you see them or even acknowledge it. That game was over in the first half, end of story.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
I posted the following in this thread last night.: since the start of last season, including the A-10 tournament, VCU is 22-6 in league play. We are 21-2 against everyone else and 1-4 against Rhody.

Last year, we blew the lead up at their place, crushed them here, and I am convinced we win that A-10 quarterfinal if Evans doesn't get hurt. Probably should have beaten them three times last season. Nevertheless, this year they have DOMINATED us. That's just a fact. In 80 minutes of basketball against Rhody this year, VCU has led for 34 seconds. We led 6 to 5 last night for 34 seconds. We never had the lead and the ball because they got an offensive rebound and score, naturally, to take a 7-6 lead. They have played harder, better and been much more aggressive than us in the two games. Nowhere is that more evident than in two categories: rebounds and FT attempts. They have out rebounded us 81-62 in the two games, including 28-21 on the offensive glass. The FT disparity is massive. In the two games this season, VCU is 18-29 at the stripe; Rhody is 45-55. They have made 16 more FTs than we've attempted in two games. That is an astounding stat. Until we play them with more energy and aggressiveness, then they will continue to beat us. It seems that simple to me. All of you who think some sort of strategy change on defense would help are wrong. The two games this season are about energy, effort and toughness, both physical and mental. I think we'll bounce back fine, and still finish in the top 4 of the league, but we just seem to have some sort of mental block now against Rhody.

Aug 7, 2012
I posted the following in this thread last night.: since the start of last season, including the A-10 tournament, VCU is 22-6 in league play. We are 21-2 against everyone else and 1-4 against Rhody.

Last year, we blew the lead up at their place, crushed them here, and I am convinced we win that A-10 quarterfinal if Evans doesn't get hurt. Probably should have beaten them three times last season. Nevertheless, this year they have DOMINATED us. That's just a fact. In 80 minutes of basketball against Rhody this year, VCU has led for 34 seconds. We led 6 to 5 last night for 34 seconds. We never had the lead and the ball because they got an offensive rebound and score, naturally, to take a 7-6 lead. They have played harder, better and been much more aggressive than us in the two games. Nowhere is that more evident than in two categories: rebounds and FT attempts. They have out rebounded us 81-62 in the two games, including 28-21 on the offensive glass. The FT disparity is massive. In the two games this season, VCU is 18-29 at the stripe; Rhody is 45-55. They have made 16 more FTs than we've attempted in two games. That is an astounding stat. Until we play them with more energy and aggressiveness, then they will continue to beat us. It seems that simple to me. All of you who think some sort of strategy change on defense would help are wrong. The two games this season are about energy, effort and toughness, both physical and mental. I think we'll bounce back fine, and still finish in the top 4 of the league, but we just seem to have some sort of mental block now against Rhody.
4 of our last 5 conference losses have been to Rhode Island.

It‘s pathetic and unacceptable.

Last edited: