The Official Beat the Keaney Blue Rams in Rhode Island Thread

RAMBALLFAN

Top Member
Insider
Aug 26, 2016
If we continue to win the games we are supposed to win we will likely finish 3rd behind Dayton 1st, and URI 2nd. We will play URI in the A-10 tourney, for a 3rd time this season, and unless something materially changes, lose to them a 3rd time. So I think the real question is can we win a game or two on our remaining schedule, we’re not anticipated to win, and will that be enough to get a 3rd team from the A-10 into the tourney. If so, then we can hang another banner for a 1 and done NCAA tourney appearance. If not we will be a high seed in the NIT with a chance to be crowned the 69th best team in the nation, our seniors will then depart, and we can turn our eye toward the 2020-21 season where Mike can show us what he can do with all of his own kids. I know there is nothing attractive about the above scenario and I hope it’s not offensive to folks but it’s kinda my “glass half empty” view of things

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Because they have good guards, wings and an aggressive center that respond well to being pressed/trapped and take advantage of fast breaks. When the shot off the break goes up they crash the boards because VCU is still getting back trying to figure out who to pick up.
exactly. The biggest advantage is they know what we are going to do . Fattss is well suited to break our press every time so his eyes light up and just goes straight full court to the basket.

It took MR 30 minutes to figure out that our defenders have to LAY OFF fatts and make sure we stay in front of him so Rhody doesn't get easy layups, dump.off dunks or wide open kick outs.

If you layoff fatts and make it more of a half court game, rhody isn't nearly as effective.

same thing happen in the 2013 michigan ncaa game.

Shaka kept trapping and trapping and trey burke was too quick, sliced our press with briante.weber guarding him for easy kickouts and dump off dunks to the big guy(11-12 on dunks).

I know people dont want to hear this but wade is right. Sometimes you have a better chance of winning if you pull back and just "guard the front porch".

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2009
exactly. The biggest advantage is they know what we are going to do . Fattss is well suited to break our press every time so his eyes light up and just goes straight full court to the basket.

It took MR 30 minutes to figure out that our defenders have to LAY OFF fatts and make sure we stay in front of him so Rhody doesn't get easy layups, dump.off dunks or wide open kick outs.

If you layoff fatts and make it more of a half court game, rhody isn't nearly as effective.

Shaka kept trapping and trapping and trey burke was too quick, sliced our press with briante.weber guarding him for easy kickouts and dump off dunks to the big guy(11-12 on dunks).

I know people dont want to hear this but wade is right. Sometimes you have a better chance of winning if you pull back and just "guard the front porch".
It’s what I’ve been saying all along. VCU’s Press is usually unsuccessful and they should simply play a tight half-court defense. Also they were in rebounded by 16. That is 16 extra possessions for Rhode Island. You will not win a game when you’re out rebounded by that margin.

• Wow
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

AlienAiden

Insider
May 3, 2012
It’s what I’ve been saying all along. VCU’s Press is usually unsuccessful and they should simply play a tight half-court defense. Also they were in rebounded by 16. That is 16 extra possessions for Rhode Island. You will not win a game when you’re out rebounded by that margin.
I do not mind it but it can be employed at various times instead of sticking to it.

May 4, 2012
7 guys beat us again.
The difference was rebounds and freetwrows.
Same problems we have most games.
Hopefully Rhoades will continue to work the two big plan and we can get everyone to rebound.

RAMBALLFAN

Top Member
Insider
Aug 26, 2016

Many dislike Wade for how they have seen him act as a person (I can be counted among them) but as a coach I have to respect the way he looks at the analytics of the game (al la Moneyball) and constructs his game plans accordingly. He also knows how to make mid-game adjustments to those plans based upon his 1st half observations. URI didn’t do any thing different last night then they did to us at the Stu, they just did it with more intensity and like our game at the Stu, we had no immediate answer. But when an answer was found, the task at hand was insurmountable. Point being, I wish Coach and company would take a page from the “nerds numbers handbook” and introduce that into their planning process. Being an “arm chair coach” they may be doing this and I don’t know what I’m going on about. However the approach that I thought I saw to last nights contest was we (VCU) will make changes to our lineup which will thwart the efforts of our opponent as opposed to countering their strengths from last game with the intention of realizing a different outcome.

RamFanatic

Top Member
Feb 6, 2012
If we continue to win the games we are supposed to win we will likely finish 3rd behind Dayton 1st, and URI 2nd. We will play URI in the A-10 tourney, for a 3rd time this season, and unless something materially changes, lose to them a 3rd time. So I think the real question is can we win a game or two on our remaining schedule, we’re not anticipated to win, and will that be enough to get a 3rd team from the A-10 into the tourney. If so, then we can hang another banner for a 1 and done NCAA tourney appearance. If not we will be a high seed in the NIT with a chance to be crowned the 69th best team in the nation, our seniors will then depart, and we can turn our eye toward the 2020-21 season where Mike can show us what he can do with all of his own kids. I know there is nothing attractive about the above scenario and I hope it’s not offensive to folks but it’s kinda my “glass half empty” view of things
I’m very excited about the youth on this team. I hope the seniors are able finish strong as they’ve represented the university well. But, getting the young guys some burn is very important. They are the future and they’re actually better suited to run the system Mike wants to run. The future is very bright - don’t lose sight of the forest for the trees.

Feb 16, 2017

I think your analysis is spot on. If the aspirations are to be the Gonzaga of the East, then we have a long way to go. Our issue is that we don't win enough out of conference games consistently enough to elevate us to that next level which, I think, is the difference between one or two more recruits that would solidify our status nationally and accelerate our progress.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
The idea that somehow changing defenses would have helped last night is wrong. It's the same defense we used to beat this same team last year by 34 points. The truth is this: they played harder and more aggressive than us in both games this year. They got most of their points against our half court defense by being aggressive and either getting 2nd chance points or FTs. The 2nd chance points and FTs accounted for 41 of their points, which is a big number.

RamFanatic

Top Member
Feb 6, 2012
I think your analysis is spot on. If the aspirations are to be the Gonzaga of the East, then we have a long way to go. Our issue is that we don't win enough out of conference games consistently enough to elevate us to that next level which, I think, is the difference between one or two more recruits that would solidify our status nationally and accelerate our progress.
This is true. But the Mark Few types are hard to find. We need consistency within the program. I think we’re on the right track - only time will tell. It’s going to take a few years for Mike to get the program where he wants it. Consistency will help with recruiting. I believe we’re headed in the right direction. This year just might not end how all of us had hoped.

RAMBALLFAN

Top Member
Insider
Aug 26, 2016
The idea that somehow changing defenses would have helped last night is wrong. It's the same defense we used to beat this same team last year by 34 points. The truth is this: they played harder and more aggressive than us in both games this year. They got most of their points against our half court defense by being aggressive and either getting 2nd chance points or FTs. The 2nd chance points and FTs accounted for 41 of their points, which is a big number.
They had 10 more OREB and 16 more FT which both numbers are significant in determining the outcome of a game

VAHills

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2013
What worked against the Sophomore version of Fatts Russell does not work against this year’s version. That guy would be A10 POY if not for Obi Toppin.

Reactions: RAMBALLFAN
Feb 16, 2011
This is true. But the Mark Few types are hard to find. We need consistency within the program. I think we’re on the right track - only time will tell. It’s going to take a few years for Mike to get the program where he wants it. Consistency will help with recruiting. I believe we’re headed in the right direction. This year just might not end how all of us had hoped.
[/QUOTE

Getting whacked on national tv is not helping our recruiting either. We have been on the cusp of getting over the “proverbial hump” for a long time. Not sure we will ever make it if we don’t win some of these games.