The Official Beat the Keaney Blue Rams in Rhode Island Thread

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
What worked against the Sophomore version of Fatts Russell does not work against this year’s version. That guy would be A10 POY if not for Obi Toppin.
The press wasn't the problem last night at all.

Dec 16, 2013
well last night was a disappointment! but just one of what will be 35+/- games. URI approach to VCU is just better than our approach to them. They got our number right now but that worm will turn in the future.
I agree with those of you saying the refs had nothing to do with the outcome. (on balance usually there are bad calls against both teams in a game that relatively balance out but yeah there were two toward the end that they got wrong against VCU)
What impresses me with the URI approach to VCU are two things. 1. they are one of the few teams that when they beat our full court press they attack the basket to make us pay unlike lots of teams that just back it out and run their offense. 2. they pound us on the boards for second and third shots
What impressed me with VCU was we didn't give up and competed until the end (I can admit URI did not play the second half as aggressively as the first) and secondly was Bones got even more aggressive on offense in the second half and took it to the rim and finished - he continues to progress on his path to the Big Kahuna role!!
Go Rams

HTTRams!

Top Member
Jan 18, 2014
It wasn’t helpful either. We didn’t force a bunch of turnovers and we didn’t tire them out.
The press was definitely a problem. Took too many risks going for the ball and completely whiffing. Also, when you press, it’s somewhat frantic and, when playing against fast guards who are shifty, they will easily blow by you....which happened over and over again.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
The press was definitely a problem. Took too many risks going for the ball and completely whiffing. Also, when you press, it’s somewhat frantic and, when playing against fast guards who are shifty, they will easily blow by you....which happened over and over again.
In the first half they blew by us in the half court seemingly every trip. The style of defense doesn't matter if you don't play with energy and aggressiveness. Last night wasn't about Xs and Os, it was about mindset and energy.

Last edited:
May 4, 2012
well last night was a disappointment! but just one of what will be 35+/- games. URI approach to VCU is just better than our approach to them. They got our number right now but that worm will turn in the future.
I agree with those of you saying the refs had nothing to do with the outcome. (on balance usually there are bad calls against both teams in a game that relatively balance out but yeah there were two toward the end that they got wrong against VCU)
What impresses me with the URI approach to VCU are two things. 1. they are one of the few teams that when they beat our full court press they attack the basket to make us pay unlike lots of teams that just back it out and run their offense. 2. they pound us on the boards for second and third shots
What impressed me with VCU was we didn't give up and competed until the end (I can admit URI did not play the second half as aggressively as the first) and secondly was Bones got even more aggressive on offense in the second half and took it to the rim and finished - he continues to progress on his path to the Big Kahuna role!!
Go Rams
Gotta hand it to the kids, they dont quit

Jan 12, 2020
With last night's blowout loss to Rhode Island on national TV, VCU's at-large chances have taken a legitimate blow, and it will be interesting to see where the premier bracketologists have us placed in their new brackets coming out any time starting today. If VCU misses the Big Dance this year, which would seem very likely if we don't get an at large, that would be two years out of three that we've missed the NCAA Tournament under Mike Rhoades. Shaka Smart took a CAA-affiliated VCU team to the Final Four in his second year. Now whether Rhoades was left with as good of players as Smart was is a fair debate and Rhoades probably was left with a much more bare cupboard, which is being emphasized by our pathetic displays this season against good opponents. After last night's loss, we are now 1-6 in our seven toughest games. That's nowhere remotely close to what you would typically expect from an at-large NCAA Tournament caliber team. We are in a massive mess right now, and for many reasons. Not only does Mike Rhoades have some very worrisome coaching tendencies, including a remarkable lack of ability to get VCU to play hard in the early parts of big games, but we're losing games simply because of a lack of skill. Yes, our work ethic has been questionable, but that's because our players are demoralized from knowing that they're getting their butts whooped by a better team that can simply play the game of basketball better than us. As I've said for weeks and as continues to get underscored by the play on the court, Bones Hyland simply has to start for Marcus Evans -- or at least start Bones in some shape or form. As other commenters have pointed out here over the last 16 hours, Evans is a warrior who we all love, but his body just sadly no longer allows him to play Division 1 high-level college basketball at an elite level. Our other guys last night all largely folded like a deck of cards under the pressure of playing Rhode Island, which is our father. I pray VCU gets it together! RIP Kobe and the other eight souls lost last week.

Feb 16, 2017
This is true. But the Mark Few types are hard to find. We need consistency within the program. I think we’re on the right track - only time will tell. It’s going to take a few years for Mike to get the program where he wants it. Consistency will help with recruiting. I believe we’re headed in the right direction. This year just might not end how all of us had hoped.
Consistency played a role in their success as a program, no question. That is a great point. Is MR the type of coach you build a program around in a manner similar to Few? My honest answer to that question is that I believe the jury is still out, but I believe in him.

artRAMinMN

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Scene: March, a locked boardroom in Indianapolis.

Ancient insider 1: ...so next up, what about Virginia... wait, not Bennett's boys... Commonwealth? Like Kentucky? I'm confused...

Ancient insider 2; Oh right, Shaka Havoc something something.

CBS fixer: ...did you know that at a point in the middle of a road game in January they were down almost 30, but they eventually chipped that away by two thirds...

All Ancient insiders: UNACCEPTABLE!

End scene.

May 4, 2012
It seems as if some on here have an answer (changing defenses) in search of a problem. The solution last night was more energy, effort and aggressiveness, especially in the first half.
Or maybe we squander those three on unproductive tactics...

Jan 1, 2010
Box Score can be deceiving sometimes .... It shows we shot a much better percentage overall in the game.... BUT, in the last 5 minutes of play, when game was "in Hand" for URI..... That's when we went 5/7 shooting ( including a "urgency" miss by bones at the 15 second mark).....

....Play by Play is more Telling..Last 5 minutes
WE could not make FREE Throws... Evans /Vann PLUS Turned ball over 2x Jenkins/Simms....
ALL this while URI was in "Play Safe" mode

OVERALL
Outscored by 16 at the Free Throw Line.
Outrebounded by 10 on the OFFENSIVE side. Which resulted in 9 points off putbacks or VCU fouls (FYI 2nd half ONLY 3 points off 2 offensive/fouls)
THAT"S a LOT of Points

Summery: URI was tough and IN-Control / VCU was Exact Opposite... Definitely in the First Half!

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
People that think we redeemed ourselves by cutting the lead in the 2nd half are deluding themselves. For the first 25 minute RI was "playing to win" and they beat us like an ugly step child. After that, RI played "not to lose" and probably did some experimenting as well. Same with the Wichita thrashing we endured.