The Official Beat the Keaney Blue Rams in Rhode Island Thread

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
With last night's blowout loss to Rhode Island on national TV, VCU's at-large chances have taken a legitimate blow, and it will be interesting to see where the premier bracketologists have us placed in their new brackets coming out any time starting today.
I disagree. A win certainly would've helped big time. Not seeing how a road loss to a team Q1 team like URI's is a "blow." More of another missed opportunity. I believe our NET actually went up 2 points if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
With 8:29 left in the first half JMac scored a layup making it 22-17

At 5:19 the score was 39-19

Only one timeout called during a 17-2 run and that was a minute later when it was 26-17.

I get maybe wanting to save TOs, but seems like a Tech might have been worth a try....

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
With last night's blowout loss to Rhode Island on national TV, VCU's at-large chances have taken a legitimate blow, and it will be interesting to see where the premier bracketologists have us placed in their new brackets coming out any time starting today. If VCU misses the Big Dance this year, which would seem very likely if we don't get an at large, that would be two years out of three that we've missed the NCAA Tournament under Mike Rhoades. Shaka Smart took a CAA-affiliated VCU team to the Final Four in his second year. Now whether Rhoades was left with as good of players as Smart was is a fair debate and Rhoades probably was left with a much more bare cupboard, which is being emphasized by our pathetic displays this season against good opponents. After last night's loss, we are now 1-6 in our seven toughest games. That's nowhere remotely close to what you would typically expect from an at-large NCAA Tournament caliber team. We are in a massive mess right now, and for many reasons. Not only does Mike Rhoades have some very worrisome coaching tendencies, including a remarkable lack of ability to get VCU to play hard in the early parts of big games, but we're losing games simply because of a lack of skill. Yes, our work ethic has been questionable, but that's because our players are demoralized from knowing that they're getting their butts whooped by a better team that can simply play the game of basketball better than us. As I've said for weeks and as continues to get underscored by the play on the court, Bones Hyland simply has to start for Marcus Evans -- or at least start Bones in some shape or form. As other commenters have pointed out here over the last 16 hours, Evans is a warrior who we all love, but his body just sadly no longer allows him to play Division 1 high-level college basketball at an elite level. Our other guys last night all largely folded like a deck of cards under the pressure of playing Rhode Island, which is our father. I pray VCU gets it together! RIP Kobe and the other eight souls lost last week.
So your first 5 posts include a Rhodes/Rams bashing. How much things change in 3 days. I'll stick with Mike thank you. We took out a team every bit as good as Rhody on Tuesday walking them off the floor. Stuff happens. Off games happen. I do agree with Bones getting the keys to the car though. Shaka showed up to a fully stocked cupboard. Of this I don't believe we'll have different opinions. Shaka got the squad that the guy coaching the #7 team in the country now left him. Hard not to do well with that.

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
If you're on the court stinking up the joint, are you suggesting just keep them on the court? When we were getting blown out, you still want MR to limit his rotation to 8 players? Maybe the play on the court dictates the long stretches players are on the floor. We didn't play better because players were on the court for longer stretches. The players were on the court for longer stretches because they were playing better.

I think people are once again reaching for explanation. Playing zone, shortening the rotation, pressing, not pressing, none of this is going to matter if the players aren't playing with heart, not playing focus, and just overall allowed themselves to get punked on the court. You really think Rhoades instructed guys to just stand there looking at loose balls or not box out for rebounds?
Yup. Playing 11 guys against UR worked just fine. We got beat on the road by a team that's won 8 games in a row. If you're going to shorten the rotation, there might be a couple of guys going from starting to not playing.

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
As I mentioned during the game, a zone requires more focus and discipline than playing man to man. If we're not playing focused basketball playing man to man, playing unfocused basketball in a zone would've been worse. The only way I can justify playing a zone would be under the premise of nothing else is working. But logically, playing a zone the way we were playing would've been disastrous. There's a million things we could've tried. We could've tried an all freshman line up. We could've tried a five guard lineup. The question is what's the likelihood of it working?
We could've tried making a few shots in the first half.lol

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
exactly. The biggest advantage is they know what we are going to do . Fattss is well suited to break our press every time so his eyes light up and just goes straight full court to the basket.
Yeah, last night I kept thinking it would be nice to have Vince Williams out there to lay the hammer on him. Can't just let that guy continually drive into the paint uncontested. We played soft. Maybe we went a little overboard with the "defend without fouling" last night.

Reactions: mrgeode

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
Yeah, last night I kept thinking it would be nice to have Vince Williams out there to lay the hammer on him. Can't just let that guy continually drive into the paint uncontested. We played soft. Maybe we went a little overboard with the "defend without fouling" last night.
But we had 28 fouls to their 12 fouls. It seemed like they had eight guys out there compared to our five, and that’s not counting the refs.

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
With last night's blowout loss to Rhode Island on national TV, VCU's at-large chances have taken a legitimate blow, and it will be interesting to see where the premier bracketologists have us placed in their new brackets coming out any time starting today. If VCU misses the Big Dance this year, which would seem very likely if we don't get an at large, that would be two years out of three that we've missed the NCAA Tournament under Mike Rhoades. Shaka Smart took a CAA-affiliated VCU team to the Final Four in his second year. Now whether Rhoades was left with as good of players as Smart was is a fair debate and Rhoades probably was left with a much more bare cupboard, which is being emphasized by our pathetic displays this season against good opponents. After last night's loss, we are now 1-6 in our seven toughest games. That's nowhere remotely close to what you would typically expect from an at-large NCAA Tournament caliber team. We are in a massive mess right now, and for many reasons. Not only does Mike Rhoades have some very worrisome coaching tendencies, including a remarkable lack of ability to get VCU to play hard in the early parts of big games, but we're losing games simply because of a lack of skill. Yes, our work ethic has been questionable, but that's because our players are demoralized from knowing that they're getting their butts whooped by a better team that can simply play the game of basketball better than us. As I've said for weeks and as continues to get underscored by the play on the court, Bones Hyland simply has to start for Marcus Evans -- or at least start Bones in some shape or form. As other commenters have pointed out here over the last 16 hours, Evans is a warrior who we all love, but his body just sadly no longer allows him to play Division 1 high-level college basketball at an elite level. Our other guys last night all largely folded like a deck of cards under the pressure of playing Rhode Island, which is our father. I pray VCU gets it together! RIP Kobe and the other eight souls lost last week.
Paragraphs.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
You lost me when I saw your that your username is "vcurams2016fan"

SwiftyClown

Top Member
Nov 19, 2011
Preseason rankings are cool and something to be proud of, but the reality is they don't mean squat. Just a bunch of opinions based on nothing tangible that happened in the current season. Everything was based on the expectation that a team that did well the previous season would perform even better the next season since we have a ton of experience with a senior heavy roster.

We still have time to get it together, but the sand is rapidly running down the hour glass.
To me, I was unimpressed with the first two games and those were wins.

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
We could've tried making a few shots in the first half.lol
Thinking about the games that VCU lost this year the common thread seems to be the offense struggled. Even in the Tennessee game where the percentages where high VCU only had 7 points in the second quarter of the game.

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
But we had 28 fouls to their 12 fouls. It seemed like they had eight guys out there compared to our five, and that’s not counting the refs.
They had 19. 17 of ours were in the second half. The first half is where we just let them walk down the lane and score. MSS constantly had to come up and defend guards attacking the basket because our guards couldn't stay in front of them. Make the first guy who comes into the lane pay.

Plus, a lot of our fouls were ticky tack fouls on jump shots or after we had been beaten.

Reactions: RAMBALLFAN and SWV

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
Thinking about the games that VCU lost this year the common thread seems to be the offense struggled. Even in the Tennessee game where the percentages where high VCU only had 7 points in the second quarter of the game.
In the first half last night we shot 43% from the field, but were 1 of 8 from three. The second half was a different story - a blistering 69% from the field and 4 of 6 from three. We got a lot of good looks last night, but we rushed a bunch of them in the first half.