The Official Beat the Keaney Blue Rams in Rhode Island Thread

May 4, 2012
But we had 28 fouls to their 12 fouls. It seemed like they had eight guys out there compared to our five, and that’s not counting the refs.
Tend to foul when you're getting beaten. Frustration mostly.

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
In the first half last night we shot 43% from the field, but were 1 of 8 from three. The second half was a different story - a blistering 69% from the field and 4 of 6 from three. We got a lot of good looks last night, but we rushed a bunch of them in the first half.
The percentages may have been high in the first half but they only scored 27 points in the first half. That is a recipe for getting boat raced on the road vs a team like Rhode Island.

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
I apologize if this has already been covered but I am just getting home from the sports bar from watching that BS. MR is Dave Cox's female dog. Just bend over and take it why don't you. I blame the entire coaching staff because it seems like no one will step up to him and say( man this team has been kicking our ass, can we try something different?). HHHHEEEELLLLLLLLLOOOOO you don't match up with these guys and keep doing the same thing. At least make Russell use his right hand if nothing else. Don't let the guy keep beating with his left hand all night long. That is the ABC's of coaching and I'm sorry but MR does not have it. The blue print has been set on how to beat this guy and unfortunately it keeps happening on national TV. Wichita St banged us on the inside, Dayton banged us on the inside and RI has done it to us twice. I hate to say this but I think the fans just need to get used to being mediocre. MR is trying to reinvent the game by trying to force one style of play, and not calling a time outs when needed. SMH
I don't think the blame can be placed mostly on Rhoades. I honestly don't think he's mediocre or bad, my main issue with him has been his use of timeouts. Re-watch the game with a clearer mind (it's on Mistachill's YouTube), and you'll see Rhoades did try new things. Right off the bat he went with the big starting line up, benching Simms. We defended them fairly well, things snowballed when MSS and Bones missed layups and URI started scoring in transition.

As my previous posts have shown, most blame goes on the seniors. When THEY PLAY HARD, which is apparently a lot to ask of them at times, we play well. That's not all on Rhoades. Last night, we came out playing hard, but like other games against URI, and against Dayton, WSU, etc., once we get punched in the mouth, we allow huge and hilarious runs. Some of these guys showed the same issues when playing for Wade, it's nothing new. It's a mental toughness/attitude problem. Evans's injuries have caught up to him, he just isn't the same anymore. Simms, Crowfield, and Vann are cold more often than consistent. Rhoades is in a hard place due to having so many seniors, most of them Wade's players, but over the course of the season, he's playing the younger guys more and more. I LOVE what I see from the younger guys. Wait for Rhoades to get more of his recruits in over the next two years, then complain. He clearly knows how to recruit great talent. I might bite myself later for saying this, but when more of his recruits come in (who already have college bodies), alongside a more mature Bones, Curry, Ward, McAllister, and a senior MSS, our offense could be straight nasty next season, and our length and quickness will give all kinds of teams fits defensively. I have seen nothing yet that tells me his current and future recruits aren't going to consistently play hard for Rhoades. I've been harsh on here, but honestly can't wait to see a team full of Rhoades's players.

Nov 26, 2017
As I mentioned during the game, a zone requires more focus and discipline than playing man to man. If we're not playing focused basketball playing man to man, playing unfocused basketball in a zone would've been worse. The only way I can justify playing a zone would be under the premise of nothing else is working. But logically, playing a zone the way we were playing would've been disastrous. There's a million things we could've tried. We could've tried an all freshman line up. We could've tried a five guard lineup. The question is what's the likelihood of it working?
I think the zone would have helped out our guards mostly. We couldn't stop them off the dribble. They were getting to the hole at will and as soon as we had a man to help then they dished to one of the bigs for an easy bucket. The zone covers the main area in which they got most of their points last night and in previous games. If they beat us from the outside then so be it. I seriously doubt they can beat us from the outside though.

Reactions: Valley drop step

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I think the zone would have helped out our guards mostly. We couldn't stop them off the dribble. They were getting to the hole at will and as soon as we had a man to help then they dished to one of the bigs for an easy bucket. The zone covers the main area in which they got most of their points last night and in previous games. If they beat us from the outside then so be it. I seriously doubt they can beat us from the outside though.
If....big if.....if the zone is played properly. When it's not played properly and there's no accountability I would bet anything the result would've been players pointing to each other complaining about somebody else being out of position.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
It’s what I’ve been saying all along. VCU’s Press is usually unsuccessful and they should simply play a tight half-court defense. Also they were in rebounded by 16. That is 16 extra possessions for Rhode Island. You will not win a game when you’re out rebounded by that margin.
the press is not going to work on teams with good guards, period.... Stop it, and work on the half court defense.

Nov 26, 2017
If....big if.....if the zone is played properly. When it's not played properly and there's no accountability I would bet anything the result would've been players pointing to each other complaining about somebody else being out of position.
So your answer is keep playing man to man and getting beat like a drum? I can't remember the last time we have been down by that big of a margin in the first half.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
So your answer is keep playing man to man and getting beat like a drum? I can't remember the last time we have been down by that big of a margin in the first half.
Answer is to find a combination that will play our current defense better. People have been calling for a zone as a cure-all every time we have a rough game for as long as I've been in the forum. Guarantee if there were a way to track its success at VCU the times it has worked has been few and far between. We were already getting pounded on the boards in the man to man. How much worse would it have been if we were in a zone?

Last edited:
Reactions: RamFanatic

RamFanatic

Top Member
Feb 6, 2012
I don't think the blame can be placed mostly on Rhoades. I honestly don't think he's mediocre or bad, my main issue with him has been his use of timeouts. Re-watch the game with a clearer mind (it's on Mistachill's YouTube), and you'll see Rhoades did try new things. Right off the bat he went with the big starting line up, benching Simms. We defended them fairly well, things snowballed when MSS and Bones missed layups and URI started scoring in transition.

As my previous posts have shown, most blame goes on the seniors. When THEY PLAY HARD, which is apparently a lot to ask of them at times, we play well. That's not all on Rhoades. Last night, we came out playing hard, but like other games against URI, and against Dayton, WSU, etc., once we get punched in the mouth, we allow huge and hilarious runs. Some of these guys showed the same issues when playing for Wade, it's nothing new. It's a mental toughness/attitude problem. Evans's injuries have caught up to him, he just isn't the same anymore. Simms, Crowfield, and Vann are cold more often than consistent. Rhoades is in a hard place due to having so many seniors, most of them Wade's players, but over the course of the season, he's playing the younger guys more and more. I LOVE what I see from the younger guys. Wait for Rhoades to get more of his recruits in over the next two years, then complain. He clearly knows how to recruit great talent. I might bite myself later for saying this, but when more of his recruits come in (who already have college bodies), alongside a more mature Bones, Curry, Ward, McAllister, and a senior MSS, our offense could be straight nasty next season, and our length and quickness will give all kinds of teams fits defensively. I have seen nothing yet that tells me his current and future recruits aren't going to consistently play hard for Rhoades. I've been harsh on here, but honestly can't wait to see a team full of Rhoades's players.
You’re summation is dead on!

mrA10

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
Our pressure is our strength. Sometimes it works better than other times. Changing up may have been more disastrous.

We lost because uri out hustled us and wanted it more. Their momentum built up from there while we were caught sleeping too often.
The rebound difference was ridiculous (wasn't it 10-30 at one point?).

Nov 10, 2012
Last night was disappointing, mainly the first half. We got out hustled, they were tougher than us, they played harder. And that's disappointing to me because that's not VCU basketball. That's not the VCU basketball I've watched over the years. We've seen it multiple times this season. Im okay with the loss, knew it was going to be tough come out of there with the win. I'm disappointed in the lack of toughness and not playing hard.