The Official Beat the Keaney Blue Rams in Rhode Island Thread

80sRamBaseballRugby

Top Member
Apr 20, 2012
exactly. The biggest advantage is they know what we are going to do . Fattss is well suited to break our press every time so his eyes light up and just goes straight full court to the basket.

It took MR 30 minutes to figure out that our defenders have to LAY OFF fatts and make sure we stay in front of him so Rhody doesn't get easy layups, dump.off dunks or wide open kick outs.

If you layoff fatts and make it more of a half court game, rhody isn't nearly as effective.

same thing happen in the 2013 michigan ncaa game.

Shaka kept trapping and trapping and trey burke was too quick, sliced our press with briante.weber guarding him for easy kickouts and dump off dunks to the big guy(11-12 on dunks).

I know people dont want to hear this but wade is right. Sometimes you have a better chance of winning if you pull back and just "guard the front porch".
Pretty sure Theus started guarding Burke vs Michigan. Burke pickpocketed Theus early for a layup. Theus returned the favor a possession or 2 later, but a late whistle rang out and a foul was called. It’s was “ship show” the rest of the way. Briante also covered Burke until the hardest screen I’ve ever witnessed turned his lights out. Michigan that year, really physically tough, with excellent guards. Our kryponite

Apr 20, 2009
Last night was disappointing, mainly the first half. We got out hustled, they were tougher than us, they played harder. And that's disappointing to me because that's not VCU basketball. That's not the VCU basketball I've watched over the years. We've seen it multiple times this season. Im okay with the loss, knew it was going to be tough come out of there with the win. I'm disappointed in the lack of toughness and not playing hard.
It's sad. After the WSU game I posted that this team was "soft" with no junkyard dog mentality. I've followed this program since 1979 and have never heard anyone call any of our teams soft. I hope this year is just an anomaly.

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
We are not soft. We got mowed down by a pretty damm good basketball squad at home on Friday night three days after our guys took a really big quality win. It happens. Thing is I see a lot of folks in here that think losing a road game is the end of the world. I got news for you. Winning on the road in this league is hard even against the bottom half. Did I hate them getting punked. Well yes, we all do. Show up for the next and find a way to take the Fayers out and we're back in the field. Our team is good. Time for them to be ready for the bell every night. Lot of good chances for big wins as long as we don't take any bad losses (we don't have one yet...)

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
It's sad. After the WSU game I posted that this team was "soft" with no junkyard dog mentality. I've followed this program since 1979 and have never heard anyone call any of our teams soft. I hope this year is just an anomaly.
The weird thing is the core of the squad was here last season and nobody thought we were soft (at least not that I know of). What happened?

VAHills

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2013
The weird thing is the core of the squad was here last season and nobody thought we were soft (at least not that I know of). What happened?
I don’t think we are soft, but we have not been the tougher team a few times.

Reactions: mrgeode

Dr Joe

Top Member
Insider
Oct 12, 2017
It wasn’t helpful either. We didn’t force a bunch of turnovers and we didn’t tire them out.
IMO URI right now is a bad match up for what we generally want to do. They only have seven guys so you would think we would want to tire them out. We try do do that with pressure but two skilled guards beat us almost every time. So the other option is to make them play defense for 30 seconds every possession! But that is the opposite of what we generally want to do since our style is usually to speed the game up. The more we speed them up the better Fats looked. Richmond beat them by collapsing on Fats and being slow and deliberate. And as a team URI had an off shooting nite. I think we can beat them but it seems to require a style we seldom play.

HTTRams!

Top Member
Jan 18, 2014
Our pressure is our strength. Sometimes it works better than other times. Changing up may have been more disastrous.

We lost because uri out hustled us and wanted it more. Their momentum built up from there while we were caught sleeping too often.
The rebound difference was ridiculous (wasn't it 10-30 at one point?).
Wrong. Our pressure is all that you really know, therefore you think it's a strength. There has been MANY times where our pressure has destroyed us. Pressure plays well against crappy teams, but you don't need pressure against them. Fact is, when it matters and when we play against good teams with decent guards, our pressure bites us.

Live by the three, die by the three.....you have heard this before right? Same applies to "havoc."

Mar 1, 2015
Wrong. Our pressure is all that you really know, therefore you think it's a strength. There has been MANY times where our pressure has destroyed us. Pressure plays well against crappy teams, but you don't need pressure against them. Fact is, when it matters and when we play against good teams with decent guards, our pressure bites us.

Live by the three, die by the three.....you have heard this before right? Same applies to "havoc."
It’s deadly in high school. It can bury weaker college teams or ones with sub par guard play. None existent in the NBA. Shaka’s and Mike’s teams get blown out a lot with it. Lots of easy baskets against even just decent teams. Fine to use in situations, not build your entire philosophy. I think Mike has used it better than Shaka, but he still wants to hang his hat on it regardless. Wade only pressed in spurts as the situation warranted. We were Always in the game, I recall only one blowout loss.

Reactions: HTTRams!