The Official Beat the Keaney Blue Rams in Rhode Island Thread

Mar 1, 2015
It's probably semantics. The other team being tougher doesn't necessarily mean we are soft. In my opinion, it's not an on/off situation.
Either way, pressing them and trying to guard them straight up is futile. People saying turning up the intensity knob is the issue. When they are bigger stronger more athletic across the board, “heart” won’t get it done.

Reactions: Celticguy
Mar 21, 2017
The weird thing is the core of the squad was here last season and nobody thought we were soft (at least not that I know of). What happened?
I don’t think the team is soft by any means. What I will say is we just don’t have the strength AND athleticism to physically impose our will like some former teams. So when we play physically superior teams regardless of talent we tend to struggle (even in victories).

(Reluctant poster but Coach & 20+yr supporter/alumni)

Reactions: RamFanatic

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
It’s deadly in high school. It can bury weaker college teams or ones with sub par guard play. None existent in the NBA. Shaka’s and Mike’s teams get blown out a lot with it. Lots of easy baskets against even just decent teams. Fine to use in situations, not build your entire philosophy. I think Mike has used it better than Shaka, but he still wants to hang his hat on it regardless. Wade only pressed in spurts as the situation warranted. We were Always in the game, I recall only one blowout loss.
Kentucky, Louisville, Arkansas, Florida all won national championships playing a similar style. We went to the final four playing this way. Every system has its pros and cons and no matter what style you play there's an antidote to combat it.

Last edited:

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Mar 21, 2017
bottom line is we all expected at least the same production from our Seniors this year as they had last year (and of course we all likely hoped they would be better than last year) but unfortunately so far that has not been the case for a subset of them. After nearly every game this season I see someone post something along the lines of "hopefully the Seniors snap out of this and have a killer game next time" but it just hasn't happened yet. And we are running out of games for it to start happening. Crazy thing is despite the doom and gloom of some folks about the demise of the program and the need for Coach to be canned, we are still right there in the conversation and could still very well get an invite to the big dance depending on how these last games play out.

Whatever happens, this year's freshman class has blown most of us away and next years guys seem poised to follow that trend. Future is bright for VCU basketball.

Last edited:

SZQ VCU

Insider
Dec 5, 2012
I mentioned very early in game that MSS seemed off. I just wonder, and in his case, if there was so much pressure to avenge the loss at the Stu that he psyched himself out. Just another theory.

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
Kentucky, Louisville, Arkansas, Florida all won national championships playing a similar style. We went to the final four playing this way. Every system has its pros and cons and no matter what style you play there's an antidote to combat it.
IMHO the teams who run the style like this need to be able to have the ability to defend the half court traditionally. Otherwise it is Michigan or Nova where the game is over quickly once they figure out the back door cuts.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
I mentioned very early in game that MSS seemed off. I just wonder, and in his case, if there was so much pressure to avenge the loss at the Stu that he psyched himself out. Just another theory.
I wonder if he was sick. He looked a step slow most of the night. He may have an off night shooting from time to time, but he almost never gets beaten to rebounds and lose balls with regularity. He was beaten to loose balls most of the night against Rhody.

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
In coach Rhodes pre game speech to the team MSS looked completely uninterested and frankly despondent looking as the team came together for a group high five.
My husband mentioned the same thing as we were watching. He said “that body language doesn’t look good.”

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
IMHO the teams who run the style like this need to be able to have the ability to defend the half court traditionally. Otherwise it is Michigan or Nova where the game is over quickly once they figure out the back door cuts.
You are right, and Will Wade pointed out in the post game what we all should have known by now: we are a really good half court defensive team. Mike has taken the Havoc system and tweaked it so that we are much better in the half court. Friday night’s game against Rhode Island was the exception. We were bad in the half court. Let’s hope it doesn’t carry over.

Aug 7, 2012
IMO URI right now is a bad match up for what we generally want to do. They only have seven guys so you would think we would want to tire them out. We try do do that with pressure but two skilled guards beat us almost every time. So the other option is to make them play defense for 30 seconds every possession! But that is the opposite of what we generally want to do since our style is usually to speed the game up. The more we speed them up the better Fats looked. Richmond beat them by collapsing on Fats and being slow and deliberate. And as a team URI had an off shooting nite. I think we can beat them but it seems to require a style we seldom play.
It’s interesting how so many people here say that we want to play fast. Our offensive pace is 72 possessions per game. That ranks 137th in division 1 right now. Last year, we were at 71.6. The last 3 years, we‘ve averaged 72.7.

We don’t play a slow pace, but we certainly aren’t a team that speeds up the game either. For comparison, Rhode Island ranks 53rd at 74.2. St. Joe’s is 40th at 74.6. Dayton is 170th at 71.5 Richmond is 182nd at 71.2. We play at a pretty average pace.

Aug 7, 2012
The weird thing is the core of the squad was here last season and nobody thought we were soft (at least not that I know of). What happened?
We had some similar games last year, but we went on a winning streak to end the season. Winners aren't generally considered soft and that win streak was out last impression of the team before Marcus’ injury derailed the postseason.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2012
Bad match-up for him. URI eats him, us alive.
He had 11 and 14 against them earlier this year, 26 and 22 in Brooklyn, 17 and 7 when we lost at their place last year, and 19 and 12 when we beat them in the Stu last year.

He had averaged 18.3 points and 13.8 rebounds in those previous four games against RI.

Even with his rough 7 and 4 game Friday night, he’s averaging 16 and 11.8 over the last 5 matchups. He’s definitely capable of lighting those guys up.

Reactions: mrgeode and Ramdog