The Official Beat the Keaney Blue Rams in the Animal Thread

RamLover

Elite Member
What was the deal with Langevine after that fall? Was at the opposite side of the court, couldn't tell.

As for physicality, I would've liked to have seen some JMac on Farts. Squash that friggin' midget

Yeah, that was messed up. Totally killed momentum and then he got up and acted totally fine after being down and making it seem super serious. Reminded me of when Buckingham pretended to be catastrophically hurt at UR that one game when they won in overtime.

Tyrese Martin blowing kisses to the student section was also frustrating. I would hope one of our coaching staff would stop a player from doing that after a bit when we visit other places. He was really milking it.

MSS doing it once after a monster play earns us a technical.

Rhode Island is frustrating. It’s not a horrible loss, but it sucks because we have to play them again, so we needed the home win. They lost to Brown, but their top player just had a monster game that night, so it was really like losing to one good player on his best night ever.... I think we are a better team than URI, but they came in trying to prove that the win in Brooklyn last year wasn’t just because Evans was hurt.

They like to brag about their all-time record against us, but we’ve been the better team and have finished higher in the conference than them all but one or two seasons since we’ve been in the A10. Im also pretty sure they’ve only gone to the NCAA tourney a couple times in that same span. Point is, try not to let them get under your skin. Remind them of the huge way they lost in the STU last year, and let’s continue to finish higher than them this year too.

Last edited:

rammad90

Elite Member
Yeah, that was messed up. Totally killed momentum and then he got up and acted totally fine after being down and making it seem super serious. Reminded me of when Buckingham pretended to be catastrophically hurt at UR that one game when they won in overtime.

Tyrese Martin blowing kisses to the student section was also frustrating. I would hope one of our coaching staff would stop a player from doing that after a bit when we visit other places. He was really milking it.

MSS doing it once after a monster play earns us a technical.

Rhode Island is frustrating. It’s not a horrible loss, but it sucks because we have to play them again, so we needed the home win. They lost to Brown, but their top player just had a monster game that night, so it was really like losing to one good player on his best night ever.... I think we are a better team than URI, but they came in trying to prove that the win in Brooklyn last year wasn’t just because Evans was hurt.

They like to brag about their all-time record against us, but we’ve been the better team and have finished higher in the conference than them all but one or two seasons since we’ve been in the A10. Im also pretty sure they’ve only gone to the NCAA tourney a couple times in that same span. Point is, try not to let them get under your skin. Remind them of the huge way they lost in the STU last year, and let’s continue to finish higher than them this year too.
Something is off with the team at this time. While Dayton thrives we languish. We have too much talent to let a mediocre team come in to our house and put the smack down on us.

As for URI bragging, when you own a team, and yes they own us, you can brag. We do it all the time. It comes with the winning.

I am not sure what is up with Evans but he sure isn't the player he was his first three years. I hope he isn't secretly hurting. Poor guy deserve better. IV is off as well.

We can turn it around but we need to figure it out fast.

Last edited:

Ramcounter

Elite Member
Not unless it portends more losses, which I* doubt.

*Not Bracketforecast by a long shot, but you can have my opinion, too :D
That is my hope and thought process as well. So many bunnies didn’t fall. Fingers crossed they are a Q2 loss and on to Dayton.

Double double. Again. He was fine. Got zero help from the outside. Easy to collapse on the bigs when no one hits any shots. One of those days. I'm not worried. I will say when IV is in a slump he really is in a slump. Can't take him off. His D is elite. His shot will come back to him. Long season.

I have one more observation about things that bothered me today. Sent way too many guys into the teeth of Langevine and company from the wings. KK got stuffed several times.

Zero was a beast and did some really smooth things. Wish he'd have taken about 6 more 3's. Let the dog eat. He's just friggin good. Could be scoring in the 20's. Give him 30+ minutes. I don't care how deep you are. You gotta play your best guard all the minutes he can take. He's a matchup nightmare.

We put good D on them. Almost enough to keep us in it. Just couldn't get em to fall. Awful lot of 3's doing 2x iron before coming out. They played their plan. Stuff the paint and hope we'd be cold from 3. Worked out today. Sure am glad I kept my $ in my pocket...
Didn’t see the good D?? They beat us off the dribble all night and yes our offense was poor as well. They were tougher than us tonight. Rhode Island has done this to us before. Last year when we started our run, our defense became nasty. It was physical and just plain nasty. Not seeing that consistently. This team needs a gut check. I don’t care how talented you are. Everybody’s talented, but we are not playing with the same mindset we played with last year. Yes ME is not playing like he’s first team all conference and I don’t know what IV is doing honestly and Vince has not shown any improvement from last year which is very discouraging but this team needs to get nasty again. We just got outplayed last night and I

Time for a roster change. Let the frosh get more PT; will be invaluable. DJ played pretty well, but the other seniors are just struggling. IV’s body language speaks magnitudes about where he is. Good to see ME score some buckets, but still he and several of these guys are not close to their potential.

RI was definitely the better team; and betting we’d see the same outcome 9 out of 10 games. They have guys who can penetrate, and it leaves our guards chasing from behind (often trying to swat the ball from the opposite side). It makes us look weak on defense. And good guards who penetrate can either score, dish, or dribble through (ala Joey Rodriguez). We only had DJ with dribble penetration yesterday; all others would turn it over or get blocked. This is why we rely so heavily on the 3. When you take that away we are not good on offense.

Looking forward to next year’s frosh and more athletic guys who can score.

Havoc2Ut2

Elite Member
Didn’t see the good D?? They beat us off the dribble all night and yes our offense was poor as well. They were tougher than us tonight. Rhode Island has done this to us before. Last year when we started our run, our defense became nasty. It was physical and just plain nasty. Not seeing that consistently. This team needs a gut check. I don’t care how talented you are. Everybody’s talented, but we are not playing with the same mindset we played with last year. Yes ME is not playing like he’s first team all conference and I don’t know what IV is doing honestly and Vince has not shown any improvement from last year which is very discouraging but this team needs to get nasty again. We just got outplayed last night and I
You do realize that their bigs only managed to score 15 and we took 10 more shots than they did. Might have something to do with D. Even with Dowtin lighting things up they only shot 36% and had a couple of long scoreless runs. Unfortunately they played some fine D as well and got some shots to fall. Oh and in a game where most of the guys probably left the building bruised and bloodied they took 22 FT's to our 11. I'm still trying to figure out this stat. Their bigs fouled 15 times and were called for only 1 on MSS. Something messed up about that.

Last edited:
You do realize that their bigs didn't manage to score 15 and we took 10 more shots than they did. Might have something to do with D. Even with Dowtin lighting things up they only shot 36% and had a couple of long scoreless runs. Unfortunately they played some fine D as well and got some shots to fall. Oh and in a game where most of the guys probably left the building bruised and bloodied they took 22 FT's to our 11. I'm still trying to figure out this stat. Their bigs fouled 15 times and were called for only 1 on MSS. Something messed up about that.

Our interior defense was not the problem. Their guards beat us off the dribble all night. Rhodes spoke to that in post game. When you get beat off the dribble you create problems everywhere, easy buckets, dishes for easy buckets and fouls and they actually missed a number off in the paint shots just as we did.

Havoc2Ut2

Elite Member
Our interior defense was not the problem. Their guards beat us off the dribble all night. Rhodes spoke to that in post game. When you get beat off the dribble you create problems everywhere, easy buckets, dishes for easy buckets and fouls and they actually missed a number off in the paint shots just as we did.
Yes agreed. Our real problem was having 3 guys on the floor for 76 minutes going 1 for 20. That's not going to happen very often. This is why we lost.

Dr Joe

Elite Member
Insider
Having watched URI three or four games Fats Russel is beating everyone off the dribble. Have to give him his due, he is super quick. UR collasped on him when he went by their guards. Problem last night was Dowtin came out of his shell and played up to his potential which created a whole set of new problems. If the two of them, along with Martin, play like that the rest of the season they will win a lot of games. I still think the team is searching for consistent offensive rhythm. Last year ME would just take over, this year that is not happening. Tough spot to be in going to Dayton But until we figure out a way to score other than off transition we will struggle.

RAMBALLFAN

Elite Member
The difference was guard play. Their starting 3 guards scored 50 while ours scored 28. They played no guards off the bench and our guards off the bench scored 9 (so 50 to 37). Their 3 outscored our 6 by 13.

You do realize that their bigs only managed to score 15 and we took 10 more shots than they did. Might have something to do with D. Even with Dowtin lighting things up they only shot 36% and had a couple of long scoreless runs. Unfortunately they played some fine D as well and got some shots to fall. Oh and in a game where most of the guys probably left the building bruised and bloodied they took 22 FT's to our 11. I'm still trying to figure out this stat. Their bigs fouled 15 times and were called for only 1 on MSS. Something messed up about that.
MSS needs help. We need another big which we dont have. Best we can do is play Williams with him or try Ward but Vince is tougher.