The Official Beat the Keaney Blue Rams in the Animal Thread

92VCUpikapp

Top Member
Dec 21, 2010
A few points in the midst of the hyperbole I see in this thread:

1. The reality is this: we got beat by a good team with excellent guards.

2. If MSS and a couple other guys don’t miss some easy shots (layups) early, then it could have been a different outcome.

3. Our defense was good, not great yesterday.

4. Our offense was actually good in that we got a lot of open looks and easy shot opportunities, but we just couldn’t get the ball to go.

5. It was a good learning experience for Bones and Curry, as now they understand what big time A-10 basketball really is; Mason and Fordham aren’t Rhode Island.

6. We still struggle too often when we have an odd-man rush (hockey term). We had a 3-on-1 break in the first half yesterday, with the only defender being Fatts, who is generously listed at 5’10”. We turned the ball over. :(. That should never happen.

7. This was not a game for Clark, McCallister or Ward to play in. None of them are ready for this type of game yet.

8. Something has seemed just a bit off about our team this year. Can’t put my finger on it, but that’s the way it’s felt for me all season. Something is just off.

9. Still a long way to go, with 15 regular season games left. However, we need to win some of these games against the upper echelon of the league. Can not afford many more losses.

10. The sun still came out this morning in spite of our loss. We‘ll be fine. Peace all.
Not only did the sun come up, it’s F’ing beautiful outside today in RVA.

F37A4C7B-8E5E-4C89-B55C-E69EF9B5C004.jpeg

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Constructive analysis isn’t a waste, but whenever we lose a game this forum goes into a mental breakdown and it’s just a bunch of name calling for three or four days until our next game. That is more what I am implying.
To be fair? I was only name calling myself...and only because my pregame take was weak and forgettable.....

Kind of like the VCU offense!!!

BA-Zing!!!!

Too soon?

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
This is the first time in a long time that their bigs didn't smoke ours. I'm not worried about MSS and him getting help. Corey did a really nice job out there.
:shock:
Last game against them MSS had 26 & 22... they had nothing. Do you actually watch any of this?

Reactions: Wolfpack Ram

PhantomRam

Top Member
Apr 30, 2009
A view from the cheap seats:
* MR talks about keeping the ball "hot", maybe I don't know enough about basketball, but we do not seem to be keeping the ball hot.
* Can we please switch up the defense sometime? All good coaches do it. Not saying MR is not a good coach, but when it ain't workin, try something else. URI is a poor shooting 3pt team, if they beat us from there, well, than chalk it up to just not our day.
* MR is like SS in regards to being loyal to his seniors. I don't see him changing up the lineup. He sees the guys in practice, who knows, maybe IV is killing it in practice. But I agree with a lot of posters, something is off, I noticed it in about the 3rd/4th game of the year.
* If you think this team is frustrating, remember back to the final 4 year, that team was frustrating to watch as well. But Skeen and Rozzell are not walking through the door anytime soon.
* We dropped one at home, probably have to go at least 5-4 on the road now to have a chance, but most likely 6-3. After yesterday, I just hope we can stay in the top 4.

Last edited:

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
Purdue, a team we lost to by only 3, beat #8 Mich St like a stepchild. The shockers went on the road and beat ucon by 3. The ticks were beaten soundly at home. Cuse beat the hoos in jpj. What's my point? Idk, mostly that basketball games are hard to win all the time, and that ish happens.
Yep. Anyone in the top 100 can show up and win. Ain't this great? I love it. No gimmes for anyone.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
Purdue, a team we lost to by only 3, beat #8 Mich St like a stepchild. The shockers went on the road and beat ucon by 3. The ticks were beaten soundly at home. Cuse beat the hoos in jpj. What's my point? Idk, mostly that basketball games are hard to win all the time, and that ish happens.
Yesterday = last year's game at Davidson

Ran great offense early to little result, solid to excellent defense throughout, got beat by a talented but erratic backcourt. More a script you expect to see in a road game, but variance'll getcha now and then.

Dec 29, 2012
MSS needs help. We need another big which we dont have. Best we can do is play Williams with him or try Ward but Vince is tougher.
MSS does need help in the paint. We typically only have him battling for boards while our other guys become spectators. I like Ward w/MSS or even CD w/MSS - 2 bigs battling for boards on both offensive and defensive ends might be a good and different look worth trying.

Reactions: SWV
Dec 29, 2012
Agreed. Time to live and die with Vince. What in the heck are we saving him for?
Vince hasn’t gotten to the same level as last year yet. He’s got potential; wondering if his shoulder injury/surgery this past offseason is still limiting him. When he’s inside he seems out of place though.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Vince hasn’t gotten to the same level as last year yet. He’s got potential; wondering if his shoulder injury/surgery this past offseason is still limiting him. When he’s inside he seems out of place though.
When Vince is in the game the score usually leans VCU's way.

Reactions: PRock and Newboy