The Official Beat the Keaney Blue Rams in the Animal Thread

Mar 1, 2015
Plus/minus can be a very misleading stat. According to plus/minus on this stat sheet, MSS was our worst player yesterday, which is not accurate.
It’s a better stat over a longer period of time. Vince’s +/- is actually one of the lower of our regular players Ranked in between Evans and Crow. Season plus minus re affirms what we’ve seen on court.

I do think they need more Vince scrapping around the paint. That has been totally absent this year, he’s mainly on the perimeter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Love2Ram

Love2Ram

Top Member
Feb 25, 2011
How do you know that if the kid doesn't even get a chance to play? Five minutes is not a lot of playing time to ask for. He definitely could not have done any worse on offense yesterday than Vann or Williams. He's another big, and the tallest player on VCU's roster. If he pulls down 2 rebounds and makes one basket yesterday, he's ahead of Vann's game yesterday. With the raw talent Ward has, he needs to see the floor every game. Even if it's only 2 minutes per game.
URI was having a feast at the line. I'm very frustrated over Vann going MIA but Ward hasn't shown the ability to defend without fouling. Ward's day will come but I think Williams was the right call in this situation. Vann's stat line is baffling. At least when Williams was in he fought for rebounds and overall gave an effort on the defensive end. Pretty sure it was Williams who got us a 10 second call. For several weeks we've essentially been playing with four guys on the offensive end while Vann has been on the floor. He seems like a nice guy who we all want to be successful but allowing this to continue is hurting the team. Coming off the bench might create a sense of urgency for him. He's old enough that he should understand and be able to cope with changing things up a bit until he can shake it off. It really might help him if he were the 6th man for some time.

• Love
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM
May 3, 2012
Purdue, a team we lost to by only 3, beat #8 Mich St like a stepchild. The shockers went on the road and beat ucon by 3. The ticks were beaten soundly at home. Cuse beat the hoos in jpj. What's my point? Idk, mostly that basketball games are hard to win all the time, and that ish happens.
I think the important stat in Mich St game is that while playing at home they scored a total of 42 points. 42, just barely broke 40.
So, the #8 team in the country had a bad shooting night at home. It happens. It's not fun but it happens. Just like us.

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
I think the important stat in Mich St game is that while playing at home they scored a total of 42 points. 42, just barely broke 40.
So, the #8 team in the country had a bad shooting night at home. It happens. It's not fun but it happens. Just like us.
1) The game was at Purdue
2) Michigan St was the #1 ranked team in the country in KP offensive efficiency going into the game. They are now #5. We are #111.
3) Michigan St can shoot. We can’t.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Kinda like saying the security guard was at his post when the store got robbed but didn't do anything to stop it. We need him to do more than just be where he's suppose to be. Wasn't he on the court for our first two losses?

We miss the knocking down open jumpers version of Crow. That guy didn't show up often enough when healthy.

*** Let me amend my post because that came off a bit harsh. Every team is better off with a full, healthy roster, so yes we miss Crow from that context. Would he have made a difference in any of our games? Seriously doubt it.
Doesn't show up? Based on what? His point totals for the season? What do you want him to do? Go over and tell ME to piss off and steal the ball from his own teammate?

I'm sorry but let me come to his defense here, first off like Wolfpack said.... Crowfield was always where he was supposed to be on both ends of the court. And if by not showing up.... you mean, not taking enough shots..... well it's kinda hard to do that when no one is giving him the D##n ball! It's not because he aint in the right spot. It's because certain players will not be named (don't think I need to honestly)…. would rather take terrible shots early in the shot clock, or dribble in to a crowded paint, or dribble the air out of the ball until the opponent comes & steals it from them.... all of which resulted in either terrible shots (with very few offensive rebounds), shots getting blocked, or just careless unforced turnovers.

And when he does get the ball most of the time... he's well guarded, so there's not much he can do.

So don't gimme this crap about Crowfield not showing up. Remember the Old Dominion game where we actually ran plays to get Crowfield open in the corner.... what happened? Oh that's right... he went 3-3 from 3 point range. You ever think MAYBE THAT'S WHAT WE SHOULD'VE BEEN DOING ALL ALONG?

Some of y'all treat Crowfield like a lot of y'all used to treat Jordan Burgess & I'm honestly sick of it. Y'all act like the guy is a waste of space on the court, and act like his minutes need to be given to someone else.... and don't take notice of the little things he does, all because he's not lighting up the scoreboard constantly.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2012
It's just really frustrating to watch this team struggle like the way they are now. I thought teams got better as they got older, not regressed. I believe statistically we we're better at this point last season than this season. Still time to turn things around but I was hoping maybe that WSU beat down was going to be a turning point. I have no idea what's going on with IV but we really need him to get out of this funk he's in. Obviously we need more out of ME too. Maybe this loss will light a fire under them.

Jul 14, 2011
Doesn't show up? Based on what? His point totals for the season? What do you want him to do? Go over and tell ME to piss off and steal the ball from his own teammate?

I'm sorry but let me come to his defense here, first off like Wolfpack said.... Crowfield was always where he was supposed to be on both ends of the court. And if by not showing up.... you mean, not taking enough shots..... well it's kinda hard to do that when no one is giving him the D##n ball! It's not because he aint in the right spot. It's because certain players will not be named (don't think I need to honestly)…. would rather take terrible shots early in the shot clock, or dribble in to a crowded paint, or dribble the air out of the ball until the opponent comes & steals it from them.... all of which resulted in either terrible shots (with very few offensive rebounds), shots getting blocked, or just careless unforced turnovers.

And when he does get the ball most of the time... he's well guarded, so there's not much he can do.

So don't gimme this crap about Crowfield not showing up. Remember the Old Dominion game where we actually ran plays to get Crowfield open in the corner.... what happened? Oh that's right... he went 3-3 from 3 point range. You ever think MAY THAT'S WHAT WE SHOULD'VE BEEN DOING ALL ALONG?

Some of y'all treat Crowfield like a lot of y'all used to treat Jordan Burgess & I'm honestly sick of it. Y'all act like the guy is a waste of space on the court, and act like his minutes need to be given to someone else.... and don't take notice of the little things he does, all because he's not lighting up the scoreboard constantly.
I completely agree with you. I have been really disappointed in how we used Crowfield the past couple of years. He is our best shooter and has great BBIQ. Unfortunately we have not put him in situations to succeed or have tried to force him into a PG role which is not what he is. I think our team would excel greatly if we were able to run more plays for him.

And people cant be mad at his shooting as he is shooting 50% from 3. FIFTY.

May 3, 2012
1) The game was at Purdue
2) Michigan St was the #1 ranked team in the country in KP offensive efficiency going into the game. They are now #5. We are #111.
3) Michigan St can shoot. We can’t.
Yeah, game was at Purdue, my bad.

MSU shot 35% from the field and 13% from 3. Man, oh man, they can shoot.
They are robots. They're going to be #1 in off. eff. every night. But VCU has to be robots. That's our standard here.
It's like blaming MSS for not getting 26, like he did the last time we played uri. If he got his 26, then we win by 6.

We lost. It stinks really bad. Move on.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009

So don't gimme this crap about Crowfield not showing up. Remember the Old Dominion game where we actually ran plays to get Crowfield open in the corner.... what happened? Oh that's right... he went 3-3 from 3 point range. You ever think MAYBE THAT'S WHAT WE SHOULD'VE BEEN DOING ALL ALONG?

Sometimes I think Crowfield receives less respect on these boards than Jordan Burgess did. The guy is THE ultimate team player. He does what the coaching staff asks of him, NEVER complains and ALWAYS has a positive attitude on the court. All posters on these boards want to do is talk about how Crowfield is not an adequate back up point guard. Well, guess what! He was not recruited to play point guard, but put team first and accepted the challenge from the coaching staff because the team did not have an adequate back up point guard. Talk about being unselfish! If Crowfield had not of spent close to two years being the back up point guard, his stats would look at lot different than they do now.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Kinda like saying the security guard was at his post when the store got robbed but didn't do anything to stop it. We need him to do more than just be where he's suppose to be. Wasn't he on the court for our first two losses?

We miss the knocking down open jumpers version of Crow. That guy didn't show up often enough when healthy.

*** Let me amend my post because that came off a bit harsh. Every team is better off with a full, healthy roster, so yes we miss Crow from that context. Would he have made a difference in any of our games? Seriously doubt it.
You are wrong! Dead wrong!!! The guy played out of position for almost two years at the request of the coaching staff and NEVER complained. And you don't think playing out of position didn't have an impact on his scoring ability? His primary goal was to minimize turnovers while playing the point, which he successfully did. So don't throw Crowfield under the bus because the coaching staff did not recruit an adequate back up point guard, which forced him into the position. The guy has not had the opportunity to shine at his true position until this year.

NCRam

Top Member
Feb 23, 2013
Yep. Anyone in the top 100 can show up and win. Ain't this great? I love it. No gimmes for anyone.
While it would be great to win them all, I believe the game would become boring and monotonous. So, yes. NO GIMMES! If you want to win bad enoug you gotta bring it. EVERY. SINGLE. NIGHT!

Reactions: Havoc2Ut2

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Sometimes I think Crowfield receives less respect on these boards than Jordan Burgess did. The guy is THE ultimate team player. He does what the coaching staff asks of him, NEVER complains and ALWAYS has a positive attitude on the court. All posters on these boards want to do is talk about how Crowfield is not an adequate back up point guard. Well, guess what! He was not recruited to play point guard, but put team first and accepted the challenge from the coaching staff because the team did not have an adequate back up point guard. Talk about being unselfish! If Crowfield had not of spent close to two years being the back up point guard, his stats would look at lot different than they do now.
Completely agree. Never heard one complaint from him. And who knows where we woulda been last year if we didn't have him (as well as PJ Byrd) to help give ME a breather. Or imagine how much rougher MR's first season woulda been if Crowfield wasn't willing to "take one for the team" so to speak.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Completely agree. Never heard one complaint from him. And who knows where we woulda been last year if we didn't have him (as well as PJ Byrd) to help give ME a breather. Or imagine how much rougher MR's first season woulda been if Crowfield wasn't willing to "take one for the team" so to speak.
In all honesty, if PJ Byrd had of delivered last year, Crowfield would not have played as much at point guard as he did last year.

Reactions: RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
In all honesty, if PJ Byrd had of delivered last year, Crowfield would not have played as much at point guard as he did last year.
For sure, but he was a freshman and not everyone adapts & develops at the D1 level as a freshman as quickly as a guy like Bones has..... we both agree on that.... and that was just more of a reason we needed Crowfield to play point more while PJ was learning & adapting.