The Official Beat the Keaney Blue Rams in the Animal Thread

May 4, 2012
MSS does need help in the paint. We typically only have him battling for boards while our other guys become spectators. I like Ward w/MSS or even CD w/MSS - 2 bigs battling for boards on both offensive and defensive ends might be a good and different look worth trying.
Douglas is a better 4 but then we are in trouble providing rest for those two. We have hurt ourselves overloading wings/guards.
we will be marginally better next year with the two coming onboard but they're freshmen and prolly need a yer learning the game to get productive.

May 4, 2012
Sometimes I think Crowfield receives less respect on these boards than Jordan Burgess did. The guy is THE ultimate team player. He does what the coaching staff asks of him, NEVER complains and ALWAYS has a positive attitude on the court. All posters on these boards want to do is talk about how Crowfield is not an adequate back up point guard. Well, guess what! He was not recruited to play point guard, but put team first and accepted the challenge from the coaching staff because the team did not have an adequate back up point guard. Talk about being unselfish! If Crowfield had not of spent close to two years being the back up point guard, his stats would look at lot different than they do now.
no argument that is is a team player and his stats may have been better but he was the 2 this year and no change. He is a role player and thats fine. We obviously missed him through his injury. Hopefully he's back up to speed soon.

Reactions: RowdyPkunk

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
From my view whenever both ME and Bones are on the court together as soon as ME has the ball he becomes the point guard. The opposition then collapse on him and he has to give it up. Since Bones is currently our best shooting guard in terms of percentage, it is not a bad thing that ME found him three times late in the game yesterday and he hit the 3 from the corner. I do not think it is by accident that Bones often gets an open lane to the basket when ME is in the game. That said, tough call for MR to expect Bones to play defense like Vann while giving us more offense. Also tough to give up the chemistry of Bones, Williams, Curry and Douglas when they give the starters a blow. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out as we go forward. Could see lineup variation depending on opponent.
Outside of a discipline issue and health, coach hasn't made a single lineup change all year. If he hasn't done it yet, with all the lack of production thus far, I don't see it happening in the future either. What concerns me is just like coach's first year here, this team seemingly hasn't improved much as the season has progressed. Are we playing better now than we did against LSU? I don't think so, and that's simply not acceptable. The coaching staff needs to own this.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Doesn't show up? Based on what? His point totals for the season? What do you want him to do? Go over and tell ME to piss off and steal the ball from his own teammate?

I'm sorry but let me come to his defense here, first off like Wolfpack said.... Crowfield was always where he was supposed to be on both ends of the court. And if by not showing up.... you mean, not taking enough shots..... well it's kinda hard to do that when no one is giving him the D##n ball! It's not because he aint in the right spot. It's because certain players will not be named (don't think I need to honestly)…. would rather take terrible shots early in the shot clock, or dribble in to a crowded paint, or dribble the air out of the ball until the opponent comes & steals it from them.... all of which resulted in either terrible shots (with very few offensive rebounds), shots getting blocked, or just careless unforced turnovers.

And when he does get the ball most of the time... he's well guarded, so there's not much he can do.

So don't gimme this crap about Crowfield not showing up. Remember the Old Dominion game where we actually ran plays to get Crowfield open in the corner.... what happened? Oh that's right... he went 3-3 from 3 point range. You ever think MAYBE THAT'S WHAT WE SHOULD'VE BEEN DOING ALL ALONG?

Some of y'all treat Crowfield like a lot of y'all used to treat Jordan Burgess & I'm honestly sick of it. Y'all act like the guy is a waste of space on the court, and act like his minutes need to be given to someone else.... and don't take notice of the little things he does, all because he's not lighting up the scoreboard constantly.
Let me remind you of the text that you bolded: That guy didn't show up often enough when healthy.

If you believe we get those type of performance often enough to your satisfaction from a player brought here to be our floor spacing sniper, not much I can say to you.

I don't expect him to be Larry Bird but we need someone who can consistently get us buckets from the three point line when open.

Last edited:

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
You are wrong! Dead wrong!!! The guy played out of position for almost two years at the request of the coaching staff and NEVER complained. And you don't think playing out of position didn't have an impact on his scoring ability? His primary goal was to minimize turnovers while playing the point, which he successfully did. So don't throw Crowfield under the bus because the coaching staff did not recruit an adequate back up point guard, which forced him into the position. The guy has not had the opportunity to shine at his true position until this year.
Never said he wasn't a contributor, but not buying that he contributed enough before he was hurt for his absence to make the type of difference you're insinuating. You're basically doing the same thing people do when we lose and cry about not playing a zone. Let's just pull stuff we didn't do or (have in place) out of the air and make it seem like that's why we're not playing as well as we should. You're reaching at this point.

People complained about us not playing as well as we could when he was healthy. Now he's part of the reason why we're not playing as well as we could since he's injured? Defies logic.

But I did amend my initial post to say that we miss anybody who is injured and not able to contribute anything on the court. And you're right, we asked him to play out of position and helped backup our point guard spot when we had no options. But lets not pretend he's a major reason we lost on Saturday.

Last edited:

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Never said he wasn't a contributor, but not buying that he contributed enough before he was hurt for his absence to make the type of difference you're insinuating. You're basically doing the same thing people do when we lose and cry about not playing a zone. Let's just pull stuff we didn't do or (have in place) out of the air and make it seem like that's why we're not playing as well as we should. You're reaching at this point.

People complained about us not playing as well as we could when he was healthy. Now he's part of the reason why we're not playing as well as we could since he's injured? Defies logic.

But I did amend my initial post to say that we miss anybody who is injured and not able to contribute anything on the court. And you're right, we asked him to play out of position and helped backup our point guard spot when we had no options. But lets not pretend he's a major reason we lost on Saturday.
I'm not saying VCU lost because Crowfield wasn't available Saturday. What I am saying is this team misses him in more ways than one. And he is another viable substitute at the guard positions, which stunk up the place Saturday.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I'm not saying VCU lost because Crowfield wasn't available Saturday. What I am saying is this team misses him in more ways than one. And he is another viable substitute at the guard positions, which stunk up the place Saturday.
That I will agree with, he adds depth to the roster and that's always a plus.

Jul 14, 2011
Let me remind you of the text that you bolded: That guy didn't show up often enough when healthy.

If you believe we get those type of performance often enough to your satisfaction from a player brought here to be our floor spacing sniper, not much I can say to you.

I don't expect him to be Larry Bird but we need someone who can consistently get us buckets from the three point line when open.
If we brought him in to be our floor space sniper then why aren’t we using him as such when healthy. He is making as much as he misses from behind the arc so why aren’t we capitalizing on that?

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
If we brought him in to be our floor space sniper then why aren’t we using him as such when healthy. He is making as much as he misses from behind the arc so why aren’t we capitalizing on that?
Don't know. He certainly wasn't brought here to be a back up PG.

Reactions: VCUMBACPA

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
Outside of a discipline issue and health, coach hasn't made a single lineup change all year. If he hasn't done it yet, with all the lack of production thus far, I don't see it happening in the future either. What concerns me is just like coach's first year here, this team seemingly hasn't improved much as the season has progressed. Are we playing better now than we did against LSU? I don't think so, and that's simply not acceptable. The coaching staff needs to own this.
What line up changes would you make that aren’t already occurring minutes shift wise?