The Official Beat the Keaney Blue Rams of Rhode Island In The Animal Thread

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
Live look at VCU players still holding on for dear life trying to press and trap URI players up the court 🤦🏾‍♂️:

Mar 1, 2015
They are one of two teams that have regularly been able to match our athleticism, with the other being SLU. Taking athleticism out of the way, it becomes a game of execution—for whatever reasons, they have been better than most at knocking us off our game—i attribute that to mental toughness in the past. I don’t think the mental “edge” will be a factor against this version of VCU—we have swag and no shortage of guys who want to be in the moment.
Well I guess it does make sense to say we over rely on athleticism, and if that advantage is removed, it can be a problem. But I don’t think they are “in our heads” College teams turnover a lot. This RI team doesn’t have the guys that have been dominating us, It’s an entirely new group dominating us. To say they are just more physical like every says doesn’t uniformly cover it either to me. It’s not like David Cox teams have just plowed over the A10. Davidson and Richmond beat them handily this year, and both Mooney and McKillop both have winning records against Cox. They are not exactly what I would call physical or athletic teams. They are teams that actually run an offense. Our half court offense hasn’t been very good during MRs tenure. Couldn’t even get a look in the second half. VCU is not a good rebounding team. We get beat on the glass a lot and that us often a sticking point with fans in loses. URI crushed us on the boards, again. And its not like they just had great rebounding big men we couldn’t match. Their leading rebounders Sat. were Fatts and Shepard, the smallest guys they have. As a team, they are just committed to rebounding, we aren’t. Against better teams, what ever advantage that is gained by narrowly winning the turnover battle is to often lost and then some by getting beat on the glass. Penn St had one more turnover than us, beat on the glass and got a narrow win. And they are hardly a juggernaut at 3-4, just a very average P5 team who doesn’t rebound the ball particularly well either. Just one example, but the same old story.

So its just a bad matchup I guess. But its not like RI is some unusual anomaly, a lot of good teams are going to play like them against us. I know we are not going to pull a 180 in style and philosophy. But it would seem to me we could do a better job rebounding. Stockard doesn’t rebound. Douglas doesn’t rebound for a guy who stands under the basket. MBJ, Watkins, Ward, Vince all rebound better. More of the latter and less of the former. There’s a start at least without adjusting anything else. And with the amount of 3s and long rebounds, I don’t think you need 2 bigs or a 7 footer to do it. More than anything else, that could be cleaned up some right now.

Mar 2, 2014
I will get killed for this one, but I am all for a Watkins, Ward for Douglas,Stockard starting 5 switch. Maybe just to generate a little more offense early in the game. Maybe get Banks ahead for Curry in the rotation as well.

May 4, 2012
I will get killed for this one, but I am all for a Watkins, Ward for Douglas,Stockard starting 5 switch. Maybe just to generate a little more offense early in the game. Maybe get Banks ahead for Curry in the rotation as well.
Douglas is a nice guy and hard worker but produces little. Put a real 4 next to Levi.

Reactions: Newboy
Apr 20, 2009
Douglas is a wall on defense. Very seldom does he get beat by his man. They may make a tough shot over him, but sometimes you just gotta tip your hat and say nice shot. He's not the greatest at stopping someone once they beat their defender and are driving it in on him, but that's a scenario where someone isn't shutting down their man, not him.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Everyone loves the backup QB. I think maybe we can put Ward in for Stockton. But starting doesnt make much difference. Stockard only plays 13 minutes per game. At the end of the day both Watkins and Ward play more minutes.

Of the group Corey plays the best post D and he is undersized which might account for why his rebounding is off.

Mar 2, 2014
Everyone loves the backup QB. I think maybe we can put Ward in for Stockton. But starting doesnt make much difference. Stockard only plays 13 minutes per game. At the end of the day both Watkins and Ward play more minutes.

Of the group Corey plays the best post D and he is undersized which might account for why his rebounding is off.
It's time to see what Ward can do getting at least 25 minutes a game as well as Watkins.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2009
Douglas is a nice guy and hard worker but produces little. Put a real 4 next to Levi.
If there’s a move in PT amongst those 2, I think you’re picking the wrong guy. Unless Stockard is matched up against an undersized, un-athletic player, he’s not going to give us much. Douglas, on the other hand, plays defense and stands a better chance of grabbing rebounds.

We need to move away from playing these 2 guys together. When we do this, we have very little offense and are wasting our 4 spot when there are other kids such as Williams, Watkins (or even Ward or MBJ) who could provide more offense from the 4.

PhantomRam

Top Member
Apr 30, 2009
Rebounding (yes height helps), is about "want to".
I remember Samme Givens from Drexal, averaged almost 9 per game (26 min avg/game) in rebounding for his career. The guy was 6'5", if that. He was tough.
On offense it is frustrating to watch us play 3 on 5 so much.
Another frustration.... have you ever seen a team that has so much trouble running a fast break. I cringe every time we sprint out on a fast break.

Reactions: Newboy

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
Freshman, and sophomores going up against experienced, and good upper classmen. No surprise on the loss. This was the first real in conference test. Get up, brush yourselves off, learn from the loss, and move on.
Absolutely. We have a freshman pg. Sometimes he's going to look like one.

Reactions: Havoc2Ut2