The Official Beat the Kennesaw State Owls at the Stu Thread

Everybody sucks in November.

I was curious how true this was for us. It is true we generally lose about 3 games in Nov but we’ve also had some very good Novs going back to Grant’s time. We haven’t gone undefeated but we’ve had a few years of one loss which were against good teams.
You mean a team with seven new players, a prominent player coming back after missing a season with a torn ACL, and its most important player missing 3 of 5 games, hasn't played a complete game yet, and it isn't even Thanksgiving. It's shocking, shocking I tell you. :roll:

Who could ever have seen some early season struggles coming? Shouldn't these guys just play perfectly from the start of the season? Those are rhetorical questions typed with tongue firmly in cheek.

Well if we’re gonna use the transfer portal to fill holes constantly Rhoades better get use to it. Otherwise I guess that’s gonna be the excuse every year.

“Well we have new players. Of course we are gonna struggle.”

These transfers will be gone after this year and we’ll have a bunch of new players so I guess we should mark down next year for struggling too?

It’s on Rhoades to navigate the college landscape and injuries which it’s not like Ace hasn’t been injured before.

HBK

Elite Member
I was curious how true this was for us. It is true we generally lose about 3 games in Nov but we’ve also had some very good Novs going back to Grant’s time. We haven’t gone undefeated but we’ve had a few years of one loss which were against good teams.

Well if we’re gonna use the transfer portal to fill holes constantly Rhoades better get use to it. Otherwise I guess that’s gonna be the excuse every year.

These transfers will be gone after this year and we’ll have a bunch of new players so I guess we should mark down next year for struggling too?

It’s on Rhoades to navigate the college landscape and injuries which it’s not like Ace hasn’t been injured before.
Yes, it is on Rhoades and his staff to navigate the college landscape as it exists today. By and large, the three transfers brought in have been fine this season. Not perfect, but certainly making an impact in aggregate.

Reasons and excuses are two different things. Playing with a bunch of new players, working back in Jamir, and losing Ace to injury are REASONS for struggling. Many teams are dealing with it, which is why there have been so many head-scratching results across the country so far this season.

We're 3-2, with losses to a Pac-12 team, when we blew a lead, and a loss to a very experienced and athletic Memphis squad, in which we played horribly for 12 minutes of the first half. Just for the sake of argument, let's say we finish the non-conference 10-3 or even 11-2. Will you still focus on the Memphis loss?

As far as having good Novembers. Yes, we've had really good Novembers and even then we had games in which we looked horrible. It happens. It's way too early to hit the panic button and to extrapolate one game in Memphis into the rest of the season.

Yes, it is on Rhoades and his staff to navigate the college landscape as it exists today. By and large, the three transfers brought in have been fine this season. Not perfect, but certainly making an impact in aggregate.

Reasons and excuses are two different things. Playing with a bunch of new players, working back in Jamir, and losing Ace to injury are REASONS for struggling. Many teams are dealing with it, which is why there have been so many head-scratching results across the country so far this season.

We're 3-2, with losses to a Pac-12 team, when we blew a lead, and a loss to a very experienced and athletic Memphis squad, in which we played horribly for 12 minutes of the first half. Just for the sake of argument, let's say we finish the non-conference 10-3 or even 11-2. Will you still focus on the Memphis loss?

As far as having good Novembers. Yes, we've had really good Novembers and even then we had games in which we looked horrible. It happens. It's way too early to hit the panic button and to extrapolate one game in Memphis into the rest of the season.

It’s not so much hitting the panic button as seeing a concerning trend. If we were looking solid and we had Ace being a bit off and some transfers looking alittle rough we would be like ok we’ll they are adjusting or getting back to form. The fact is others had to step up for Ace last year when hurt. This isn’t unfamiliar territory. We had Ace out most of OOC last season. Our issues have been self inflicted. There’s plenty of experience on this squad yet we make mistakes that make us look like a all freshman squad. Which most of our freshman don’t play many mins.

urmite

Elite Member
Except that they were picked in the middle of the of the league with an a
first team all A10 player…but yea everyone else
Well, we had fans betting we wouldn't win 8 games with 3 grads with eligibility leaving and no transfers.
Then, we had coaches & media picking us middle of A-10 after the 3 grads returned and we got 3 transfers...

We lost two buy games last year in our OOC. I'm not sure if that is the best example to point to for the point you are trying to prove.

My point is we have enough experience on the squad never mind experience with having Ace out to where we should be able to adjust better to him not playing. We shouldn’t look lost we had players fill in before when he was out. Yeah losing his scoring and abilities hurt but it’s not like Ace has played every game since he arrived and then suddenly he was out.

SteveMM

Elite Member
I'll be at the game with my son, who is a freshman at home on break from CNU. He went to a Captains home game this semester and texted me that it was a shocking step down from D1 to D3. He's been going to VCU games since he was 10 or 12, and says he's ready for some Rams basketball.

HBK

Elite Member
It’s not so much hitting the panic button as seeing a concerning trend. If we were looking solid and we had Ace being a bit off and some transfers looking alittle rough we would be like ok we’ll they are adjusting or getting back to form. The fact is others had to step up for Ace last year when hurt. This isn’t unfamiliar territory. We had Ace out most of OOC last season. Our issues have been self inflicted. There’s plenty of experience on this squad yet we make mistakes that make us look like a all freshman squad. Which most of our freshman don’t play many mins.
Ace missed the first 8 games last season, and we went 4-4. We also had Vince Williams on the team. Included in those 4 losses were two at home: one to Chattanooga at the buzzer and a blowout loss to Wagner in which we scored 44 points. The losses this year without Ace (Arizona State on a neutral floor and at Memphis) aren't nearly as bad as those two home losses from last season.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
Train ride home from NYC was LONG on Sunday and I barely had a signal on the train so I watched a total of about 4 minutes of the Memphis game. Took a near 48 hour break from RN since I didn't have much to comment on since I didn't watch that game.

With that said, let's get a W this Saturday vs a not good NCAA team. Kennesaw State has been D1 since 2005 and never been in the top 200 of KenPom's rankings. Now they are still an NCAA D1 team so I'm not saying they don't have talent, but......... this is a game that VCU should win and should win handily. Let's get back to winning ways ahead of a huge week.

Ace missed the first 8 games last season, and we went 4-4. We also had Vince Williams on the team. Included in those 4 losses were two at home: one to Chattanooga at the buzzer and a blowout loss to Wagner in which we scored 44 points. The losses this year without Ace (Arizona State on a neutral floor and at Memphis) aren't nearly as bad as those two home losses from last season.

That doesn’t make them excusable. I don’t get the logic. Oh well the losses this year without Ace weren’t as bad as last year. Before last year we didn’t have Ace out. We had to adjust last year. In fact our freshman out performed our seniors when Ace was out. Curry was playing terrible then. Vince wasn’t doing well either. It’s not as though we had Maynor running the show for 3-4 years and then he got hurt with no back up. The phrase at VCU has always been next man up.

HBK

Elite Member
That doesn’t make them excusable. I don’t get the logic. Oh well the losses this year without Ace weren’t as bad as last year. Before last year we didn’t have Ace out. We had to adjust last year. In fact our freshman out performed our seniors when Ace was out. Curry was playing terrible then. Vince wasn’t doing well either. It’s not as though we had Maynor running the show for 3-4 years and then he got hurt with no back up. The phrase at VCU has always been next man up.
There you go again, creating things in your mind which were never said. I never said, typed, implied, or declared the two losses this season were "excusable". Just because I don't think the losses this year are as bad as the two home losses in the non-conference last season doesn't mean I, or anyone else for that matter, thinks there "excusable" or "acceptable".

Last edited:
You mean a team with seven new players, a prominent player coming back after missing a season with a torn ACL, and its most important player missing 3 of 5 games, hasn't played a complete game yet, and it isn't even Thanksgiving. It's shocking, shocking I tell you. :roll:

Who could ever have seen some early season struggles coming? Shouldn't these guys just play perfectly from the start of the season? Those are rhetorical questions typed with tongue firmly in cheek.
Memphis also had a number of new faces to knit together and two few games to do it.
The kids have been worse than just incomplete and I think you know that.
Since you mention it, I am glad Watkins has actually weathered the back to back injuries very well, I was not going to allow myself to assume that. Has some issues to work out between the ears (Memphis was better in that regard) but all in all a happy surprise.

all in all, these portal guys have been a plus to the team.

HBK

Elite Member
Memphis also had a number of new faces to knit together and two few games to do it.
The kids have been worse than just incomplete and I think you know that.
Since you mention it, I am glad Watkins has actually weathered the back to back injuries very well, I was not going to allow myself to assume that. Has some issues to work out between the ears (Memphis was better in that regard) but all in all a happy surprise.
Virtually all of our issues are between the ears and can be fixed.