The Official Beat the La Salle Explorers in Philly Thread

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Just because advanced metrics don't tell the entire story doesn't mean they don't tell a story at all.
I was pretty clear. The advanced stats don’t tell the ENTIRE story. They have a purpose but without context about the game and specific situations, it can be misleading. Again, Vann kept us afloat and in the lead during the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half. His contribution was huge today. The advanced stats don’t show that at all.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Our defense at the 3 point line wasn’t good today. They got lots of uncontested looks.
Our full court press and transition defense was porous. Ashley Howard and the explorers knew exactly how to dissect our press and took advantage of it.

If conference teams see the press all the time then they prepare for and it becomes ineffective.

We need to go back to last year's defensive approach. Play more half court and press judiciously. If we keep the same approach against Rody and Dayton then we will be 0-2.

80sRamBaseballRugby

Top Member
Apr 20, 2012
Also exposed today is our vulnerability to being trapped on the wing. Our ball was not hot out of the wing and LaSalle started trapping our wing after the first pass. We really sucked at handling that. You can bet fUR will see that. Multiple turnovers, a few close calls and one smart ME called timeout resulted.

Reactions: Havoc2Ut2

SZQ VCU

Insider
Dec 5, 2012
I was pretty clear. The advanced stats don’t tell the ENTIRE story. They have a purpose but without context about the game and specific situations, it can be misleading. Again, Vann kept us afloat and in the lead during the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half. His contribution was huge today. The advanced stats don’t show that at all.
That stat helped me see what my gut suspected. It was just a fun post in-game to say, hey, Bones is effective. :)

Reactions: SWV

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Definitely frustrating. But I really think it happens more frequently with other teams than you think. Since we pay way more attention to our warts it can seem like its a problem that's limited to us. Still a problem though that we need to tighten up.
I hear you, and that's got some truth to it. I watch a good bit of college basketball, following a few teams when I can. They all have slumps. I see VCU more prone to it than other teams, in my opinion, but I'd like to be wrong on that opinion. I'm for sure more critical of VCU, being my alma mater, that's very true to your point.

Reactions: ssvcu90

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
The folks I know in both college and the NBA have told me repeatedly that the stat is meaningless without context. For example, we missed two layups and turned the ball over on a break with Evans on the floor. That should have been 6 more points with him on the floor. The point is that plus/minus means little without the context of the game.
i think we agree on its value....and what the professionals think about it as well.

May 4, 2012
We shot well and didnt put them on the free throw line where we lived. Turnovers about even but we got out rebounded again.
We wont shoot well every game, we really need to work the glass more for the tough games coming up.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
We shot well and didnt put them on the free throw line where we lived. Turnovers about even but we got out rebounded again.
We wont shoot well every game, we really need to work the glass more for the tough games coming up.
This is true but if there is one thing that La Salle is good at it is rebounding.

Reactions: Havoc2Ut2