The Official Beat the La Salle Explorers in Philly Thread

Dec 21, 2019
Evans is a liability on the court, and if MR can't coach with his head and not his heart its going to be a short season.

May 4, 2012
at this point we know we have some dynamite line ups and some that just aren't quite firing on all cylinders.
We have eleven games left in the regular season, with plenty of opportunities to grab some impressive wins that would cement our spot in the NCAA's.
The coaching staff gets paid the big bucks to figure this poop out so hopefully we see some positive change implemented and we don't just keep doing what we've been doing and hoping for the best, I feel that would do a great disservice to the talent assembled on this team already and to the fanbase.
Fingers crossed

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Has Evans totally recovered from flu bug yet? Concussion didn’t help. Just doesn’t seem to have same zip. Hopes it’s just not fully recovered from his maladies.

Reactions: SZQ VCU

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
I made the trip with my old man and met some friends while in Philly. We didn’t bring our A effort today but it was a conference road win so that’s always important and vital for a resume. I thought the atmosphere in the arena was pretty darn good and our guys weathered a couple of La Salle runs. Bones was money and as always MSS came ready to play. Now we have Richmond at home on Tuesday which can certainly help our resume. Go Rams!

PS - being happy when your team wins is more fun than being grumpy when your team wins.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
Evans is the best on-ball defender we have now.
I don't know if he's got the yips on offense or what, but he still reads plays on defense, gets to the right spot to draw charges, and absolutely knows the game inside and out. If he has truly lost a step, I could see him working himself into a Khalif Wyatt style old man grinder. Not sure he can do it inside one season though. I hope he can turn the corner. Don't understand it - he looked great up until the Purdue game and has been off ever since.

Issac quietly played a pretty good game and had 10. Seemed to me he enjoyed Philly.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Totally agree. Hyland has played great but fans are looking at him with ram colored glasses and ignoring his mistakes.

I counted two plays where LaSalle's freshman guard blew by him for easy layups. He threw one bad entry pass for silva which became a turnover and turned the the ball in the corner in a trap.going past half court.

Unfortunately, Evan's problem is Rhoades. He's trying to make Evan's is pass first.pg; as a result, Evan's is thinking the game. The end result is Evan's drives tentatively into the lane without a clear plan and that resulting in turnovers.

Evan's is at his best when he goes to the lane looking to score with the tear.drop, easy layin or getting to the line.

When Evan's hits a.couple.of easy shots then.the rest of his game.falls.into place.

Offensively, Rhoades needs to let Evans be the player he was over the last 3 years instead.trying to cram.into a new role.over his.final.season.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2015
Evans defensive +\- has been one of the lowest all season. For his career it’s in the negative. He’s feisty for sure. But as far as his impact keeping the other team from scoring, he is very average, maybe less. Hard for someone his size to be a great defender.

As far as the value of that stat, any good offensive player we have had has had a good +\-, same for defense. It is a good reflection of a player over periods of time.

Mar 1, 2015
I don't know if he's got the yips on offense or what, but he still reads plays on defense, gets to the right spot to draw charges, and absolutely knows the game inside and out. If he has truly lost a step, I could see him working himself into a Khalif Wyatt style old man grinder. Not sure he can do it inside one season though. I hope he can turn the corner. Don't understand it - he looked great up until the Purdue game and has been off ever since.

Issac quietly played a pretty good game and had 10. Seemed to me he enjoyed Philly.
Wyatt was a totally different player, and a lot bigger. Could back people down. Evans is small, needs to be quick. If that isn’t there, don’t know what there is to fall back on.

Reactions: mrgeode