The Official Beat the La Salle Explorers in Philly Thread

rollins77

Top Member
Insider
May 1, 2009
Totally agree. Hyland has played great but fans are looking at him with ram colored glasses and ignoring his mistakes.

I counted two plays where LaSalle's freshman guard blew by him for easy layups. He threw one bad entry pass for silva which became a turnover and turned the the ball in the corner in a trap.going past half court.

Unfortunately, Evan's problem is Rhoades. He's trying to make Evan's is pass first.pg; as a result, Evan's is thinking the game. The end result is Evan's drives tentatively into the lane without a clear plan and that resulting in turnovers.

Evan's is at his best when he goes to the lane looking to score with the tear.drop, easy layin or getting to the line.

When Evan's hits a.couple.of easy shots then.the rest of his game.falls.into place.

Offensively, Rhoades needs to let Evans be the player he was over the last 3 years instead.trying to cram.into a new role.over his.final.season.
We need to talk about your abuse of apostrophes.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
Wyatt was a totally different player, and a lot bigger. Could back people down. Evans is small, needs to be quick. If that isn’t there, don’t know what there is to fall back on.
On ball defense/scoring on runouts? I know it's a stretch, not ready to count him out. Tough to change your mindset from finishing plays to being a connecting piece.

Barring platelet rich blood infusions, I'd say best case is he grows five inches and turns into Andre Miller.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Evans defensive +\- has been one of the lowest all season. For his career it’s in the negative. He’s feisty for sure. But as far as his impact keeping the other team from scoring, he is very average, maybe less. Hard for someone his size to be a great defender.

As far as the value of that stat, any good offensive player we have had has had a good +\-, same for defense. It is a good reflection of a player over periods of time.
Based on conversations I have had with coaches in college and folks in and around the NBA, I take the plus-minus with a grain of salt. Context is important, as they have told me repeatedly. Evans can do a fabulous job guarding the opposing PG, but if the back-end fails or someone doesn’t block out and the other team gets 2nd chance points, then that is a minus for Evans. 4 guys can play perfect defense, but if one guy screws up and the other team scores, then they all get the minus. Further, starters are mostly on the floor against the other team’s best; backups are not. There is so much more information that is needed before looking at a plus-minus to glean meaningful information. Look at yesterday’s game, for example. Ward had a better plus-minus than MSS and Douglas combined. Would anyone suggest that Ward played better than MSS yesterday? I certainly wouldn’t.

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
Marcus Evans is going to win some games for us. At PG the ball doesn't stay as hot as Bones. That's a darn fine reason to run him at 2 whenever possible. Problem is that Ace isn't quite ready and Crow, while he can play it, has the same issue as ME. The ball does not rotate quickly and give multiple looks from the short corner. We're much easier to guard when Bones is off. No smack on ME. Just an observation. We need to have a high quality backup PG if MR wants to run ME at the 2 exclusively.

Now, enough of talking ME down. Given the right situation he could easily average 15. Sheesh he's going to be a 2000 point player. That's not because he played against crap teams. Dude has more games over 20 than I can count and did some playing P5 teams. Run him at the 2 please.

He doesn't score as much for us. That's because we play through the post and have 9 guys that can score the ball. His assist to turnover ratio is 1 to 1 exactly for the season. It's NEVER been better than 1.5 to 1 in his career. Another reason to play him at the 2.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2009
First....we won!! The Explorers have some good shooters and did not give up. Cudo’s to them. With that being said, we still are making too many turnovers. There is enough blame to go around. I have to admit, I expect our seniors to be playing at a higher level by now. We have a great team but are yet to live up to our potential.We had a chance to put our feet on the explorers throats and we didn’t. We were clearly the better team but at times did not play Ike it. I love our depth and the concept of wearing our opponents down. Moving forward we really need to tighten up on our defensive assignments and hustle back down the court. If we can get some much needed consistency at shooting we will be hard to beat come March. Until then , these lapses in defense and shooting may cost us valuable games against better teams . You can’t keep leaving the door open because eventually someone will walk through. Here is to continued hard work and getting better game by game...Go Rams...Go VCU!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: RamStrut
Mar 1, 2015
Based on conversations I have had with coaches in college and folks in and around the NBA, I take the plus-minus with a grain of salt. Context is important, as they have told me repeatedly. Evans can do a fabulous job guarding the opposing PG, but if the back-end fails or someone doesn’t block out and the other team gets 2nd chance points, then that is a minus for Evans. 4 guys can play perfect defense, but if one guy screws up and the other team scores, then they all get the minus. Further, starters are mostly on the floor against the other team’s best; backups are not. There is so much more information that is needed before looking at a plus-minus to glean meaningful information. Look at yesterday’s game, for example. Ward had a better plus-minus than MSS and Douglas combined. Would anyone suggest that Ward played better than MSS yesterday? I certainly wouldn’t.
With a small sample size it’s worthless, like most statistical measures. For guys playing a lot of minutes over a season or career, it supports what you see, or in some cases hints maybe someone’s impact isn’t as great as you would think. Coaches are emotional creatures like anyone else, and they aren’t wizards. They were folks who were pretty good ball players, and majored in physical education. Certainly not morons, but not infallible geniuses either.

Example: this season so far the three most important defenders - Douglass, Williams, Silva.
Three most important offensive players - Hyland, Silva, Jenkins.

I’ll buy that.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
With a small sample size it’s worthless, like most statistical measures. For guys playing a lot of minutes over a season or career, it supports what you see, or in some cases hints maybe someone’s impact isn’t as great as you would think. Coaches are emotional creatures like anyone else, and they aren’t wizards. They were folks who were pretty good ball players, and majored in physical education. Certainly not morons, but not infallible geniuses either.

Example: this season so far the three most important defenders - Douglass, Williams, Silva.
Three most important offensive players - Hyland, Silva, Jenkins.

I’ll buy that.
I can probably buy the offense, but not the defense.

Jan 12, 2020
Marcus Evans is a warrior who will always be remembered for his contributions to VCU! He helped VCU get through a very tough period and gave our school some momentum back by committing to VCU alongside Mike Rhoades at a time when we had just recently lost our second coach in a handful of years. Evans' contributions to VCU will never be forgotten, and he still has much left to give. But --- we should try it with him coming off the bench for now. Not only does Bones Hyland clearly deserve the start at this point relative to Evans' level of play, but it could also be a real blessing in disguise for Evans, allowing his body a little more rest and letting him come into the game with the opportunity to try to provide a spark. If it ends up not working, then go back to Evans' starting, but at this stage in the season, I just don't see why we aren't trying it, aside from I guess the notion that perhaps benching our senior point guard could mess up our chemistry and player morale. But Evans is in a special situation -- he's a warrior from the way he's played past a couple major injuries, but those injuries would slow down any man, and the way his play has dropped off this season, it's hard not to feel like his body just isn't at a point where it can play high-level elite D1 basketball as the starting point guard consistently the way we need to.