The Official Beat the La Salle Explorers in Philly Thread

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
Definitely frustrating. But I really think it happens more frequently with other teams than you think. Since we pay way more attention to our warts it can seem like its a problem that's limited to us. Still a problem though that we need to tighten up.
Not sure if you saw the ending to the Wake and UVA game today. Between the game ending shot clock violation and the foul to send the game into overtime it definitely wasn’t a clinic.

Mar 1, 2015
It
I can probably buy the offense, but not the defense.
makes sense. Our two interior defenders and three most physical players. Night in and night out, thats the best way to sit on someone.

Harassing the other teams PG has some value, but not like big physical players and old fashioned D. Particularly against better opponents. An argument that will never be settled here.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
It

makes sense. Our two interior defenders and three most physical players. Night in and night out, thats the best way to sit on someone.

Harassing the other teams PG has some value, but not like big physical players and old fashioned D. Particularly against better opponents. An argument that will never be settled here.
You're right in that this is a topic that screams "agree to disagree". I love Corey Douglas and love that he is a rim protector. That is important, and he plays his role well. However, he plays less than 13 minutes a game on average. I just don't believe that a back-up playing less than 13 minutes a game can be considered more important to a team defensively than a guy playing 26 minutes, regardless of position. For example, Vann plays 23 minutes a game and is routinely asked to guard the other team's best wing player. How many really good interior post players has Douglas had to guard this season? There aren't that many of those guys in college and most of them seem to go to either Kentucky or Duke (yes, I know there are others at myriad schools). Is Douglas really more valuable on defense than Vann? Again, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on some of these advanced metrics.

Mar 1, 2015
You're right in that this is a topic that screams "agree to disagree". I love Corey Douglas and love that he is a rim protector. That is important, and he plays his role well. However, he plays less than 13 minutes a game on average. I just don't believe that a back-up playing less than 13 minutes a game can be considered more important to a team defensively than a guy playing 26 minutes, regardless of position. For example, Vann plays 23 minutes a game and is routinely asked to guard the other team's best wing player. How many really good interior post players has Douglas had to guard this season? There aren't that many of those guys in college and most of them seem to go to either Kentucky or Duke (yes, I know there are others at myriad schools). Is Douglas really more valuable on defense than Vann? Again, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on some of these advanced metrics.
Cory isn’t amazing I’ll grant you that. But in the A10 he is a functional inside defender. Pulling your goalie for 25% of the game is a disaster waiting to happen against decent teams. Have to have someone in the rear. It’s not as exciting to look at, but it trumps a couple steals by a mile. Even more- perimeter defenders that are small you can shoot over or back down.