The Official Beat The Louisiana State Bayou Tigers in the Animal Thread

Hoos A Ram

Insider
Not sure why some seem to be equating stoicism with maturity. Maybe we don't see it because we're not scouring their social media as much, but you don't think some of the blue bloods celebrate and have fun after a big win? It doesn't have anything to do with being the little guy, it was a great, tense, emotional game that they stuck together and won. I think that celebration speaks to the culture of Coach Rhoades and VCU more than anything, and I'd much rather see a team of emotional, connected young men enjoying what they do then automatons trying to uphold some BS notion of decorum. No words suck the joy out of sports, especially college sports, like "act like you've been there before." Every team and every season is different, so they HAVEN'T been there before and never will again.

Ramdog

Elite Member
So I assume you guys would've also supported fans storming the court after the game too?
If it only involves the people that actually impacted the outcome...I will stand and cheer them off the floor like Wednesday...every kid in the country would want to celebrate with teammates like that after a big win...including the ones we are recruiting. Mike has a culture that is connecting with his team....now go get that ball out of the peach basket

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Insider

For me, vcu's 1984 win over #11 Virginia tech in a packed 10k richmond Coliseum in the old RTD tournament is the greatest victory in vcu history.

I think Tecj came in at 11-1 that year.

Half the crowd was hokie fans and half vcu.

Calvin Duncan and Rolando Lamb vs Del Curry(steph's faher) and Al Young was a guard matchup for ages.

What a great defensive battle! The tension in that struggles was heavy and palpable.

Being to run into the face of brother ,who graduate from tech and kentucky, on the way home was fantastic.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
I am fortunate enough to have one of the two nets from the VCU versus Va. Tech game in 1984. The net was given to me by J.D.Barnett. The Coliseum was really rocking that day!

Hook - Did JD throw up on it before he gave it to you? ;) :lol:

BradRamFan

Elite Member
Agreed and that's pretty much my point. I kinda felt a win over LSU is closer to the peer category than a win over a blue blood like Kentucky. If you read the LSU message board there are folks posting comments about this being our super bowl. The locker room celebration kinda validates that.
The team should celebrate any and all wins as they see fit. LSU was right....this was our superbowl because few ranked teams want to take the chance to play us at our place. The only way they come is when a coach leaves....otherwise they are petrified to walk into the animal to take on our Rams. So the few chances we get to play ranked teams at our places we should certainly celebrate our win regardless of where we are ranked in comparison.

Violet Ram

Elite Member
The team should celebrate any and all wins as they see fit. LSU was right....this was our superbowl because few ranked teams want to take the chance to play us at our place. The only way they come is when a coach leaves....otherwise they are petrified to walk into the animal to take on our Rams. So the few chances we get to play ranked teams at our places we should certainly celebrate our win regardless of where we are ranked in comparison.

Good sarcastic post. Oh wait...

People refer to games as 'Superbowls' because they're the biggest games of the year for a team. Guess you're saying this team will be sitting at home in march?

Also, you seem to gloss over teams like UVA, Georgia Tech, etc. Who've played at the stu in the last few years. heck, even a10 teams have been better and more nationally recognized than LSU recently.

So no. This was not our superbowl. It was the best non conference opponent this year, I'll give you that.

RamStrut

Elite Member
Not telling anybody how they should feel, just sharing how it may be perceived. We constantly talk about wanting to be perceived as a step above "mid-major." Can't aspire to be treated like a "Big Boy" and still act like a "mid-major." We tend to talk out of both sides of our mouth sometimes in that regard. If you want people to treat us as a non mid-major then you should care about your perception.
You're really doubling down on this. Again, way more to it than just beating a standard SEC team.

RamStrut

Elite Member
Good sarcastic post. Oh wait...

People refer to games as 'Superbowls' because they're the biggest games of the year for a team. Guess you're saying this team will be sitting at home in march?

Also, you seem to gloss over teams like UVA, Georgia Tech, etc. Who've played at the stu in the last few years. heck, even a10 teams have been better and more nationally recognized than LSU recently.

So no. This was not our superbowl. It was the best non conference opponent this year, I'll give you that.
Also as a frequent lurker of Tiger Droppings, they use the same excuse everytime they lose to a team be it football, baseball, Saints games (they just did this with the Atlanta game), basketball. It's always "Well it was their Super Bowl". No one should care what it's considered. I honestly am baffled how we are now arguing that we "over celebrated". It's so ridiculous. This is supposed to be a good time and we just had a great win. And we decide to critique how we freaking celebrated? It's mind boggling.