The Official Beat the Memphis Tigers in Tennessee Thread

artRAMinMN

Elite Member
I consider that misleading. We had one short timer in Wade and that puts us in the constant coaching change category?
Grant was pretty abbreviated too, plus with Shaka after 2011 there was always a drumbeat of will he or wont he, even while he stayed. Getting dangled every offseason was its own kind of trauma.

Grant was pretty abbreviated too, plus with Shaka after 2011 there was always a drumbeat of will he or wont he, even while he stayed. Getting dangled every offseason was its own kind of trauma.
I mean that wasn’t because of Shaka. Shaka didn’t run off to interviews constantly. In fact it was known his wife pushed him to go. It’s not like he personally was dangling us every year trying to actively leave.

HBK

Elite Member
But you also have to account for last season when we imploded in the two most important games of the season with a tournament bid there for the taking. Then 2020 when we start the season 16-5 and somehow ended up 18-13. Not sure bad luck can be considered the reason for those two outcomes. I have no problem giving MR a pass on 2018 and credit for 2019.
Regarding last season, our losses in conference were to other teams in the top half of the league. Those teams want to win, too. In the A10 Tournament, we lost to a UR team that played their butts off and beat the top three seeds in a row. Stuff like that happens from time-to-time. Last We made the NIT, and I can live with that every so often.

As for 2020, that was clearly a collapse. Everyone from Mike and his staff to the players should take the blame for that season.

HBK

Elite Member
I consider that misleading. We had one short timer in Wade and that puts us in the constant coaching change category?
We've had 5 coaches in 17 seasons, including 3 in a 4-year stretch. That's a lot. I wonder how many programs have been able to maintain a level of success with that many changes. I wonder how many schools have even had that many coaches in the last 17 seasons. Are we in the 'constant coaching change category" (nice alliteration, by the way)? No, but that is in part because of Rhoades.

I also know how the changes, specifically the 3 in 4 years impacted recruiting. As much as we want to believe that kids come to VCU because it's VCU, the reality is that players go to a school because of the coach and staff. Other staffs used the changes against us in recruiting and it had an impact. Thankfully, that impact is gone because of the stability we have at the coaching position.

We've had 5 coaches in 17 seasons, including 3 in a 4-year stretch. That's a lot. I wonder how many programs have been able to maintain a level of success with that many changes. I wonder how many schools have even had that many coaches in the last 17 seasons. Are we in the 'constant coaching change category" (nice alliteration, by the way)? No, but that is in part because of Rhoades.

I also know how the changes, specifically the 3 in 4 years impacted recruiting. As much as we want to believe that kids come to VCU because it's VCU, the reality is that players go to a school because of the coach and staff. Other staffs used the changes against us in recruiting and it had an impact. Thankfully, that impact is gone because of the stability we have at the coaching position.
Yet we missed on every recruiting target for 2023

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Yet we missed on every recruiting target for 2023
The coaching stability is still cited as a plus (and a lot of recruits greatly praise Mike Rhoades and his staff), but unfortunately NIL opportunities outweigh that greatly. We're going to have to start emphasizing that while recruiting, and that doesn't give me a good feeling.

A lot of recruits seem to prefer the opportunity to make good $$$ from NIL deals over a stable program.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
The coaching stability is still cited as a plus (and a lot of recruits greatly praise Mike Rhoades and his staff), but unfortunately NIL opportunities outweigh that greatly. We're going to have to start emphasizing that while recruiting, and that doesn't give me a good feeling.

A lot of recruits seem to prefer the opportunity to make good $$$ from NIL deals over a stable program.
Which is totally understandable. If you're being offered more money than your family's yearly income you'd be a fool not to take it.

VCU85

Elite Member
Perfect? Shaka wasn’t perfect. He made mistakes. Sometimes he pressed constantly and should have dropped back in defense.

The fact is though we were top 60-70 in offense under him and had great shooters. Our defense lower 100s. Our defense now is top25 every year but offense is 300s. There’s no balance at all. If we had even a lower 200 offense we would be winning a lot more games. Our offense is atrocious. Making comparisons to Shaka is absurd because Rhoades doesn’t have teams that have close to the same balance that Shaka’s did.
Respectfully, it didn't work. When you pull it out a few hours before tip, I view it as a gimmick. And gimmicks do not a winner make.
Shaka was really into that stuff; psycology of winning, studying great people across various professions and teaching the kids the philosophies and makings of successful people. I don't get that MR is that type of guy. Not everyone is. MR has a lot of natural confidence and knows how to impose his will. He has been successful his entire life.
I got the feeling from earlier posts, this was a 1 time session. Maybe they do practice this stuff year round. If they do, then it was a good call. But if they just decided to reintroduce it before a big game, I don't see it helping.
I like Mike a lot, but I don’t see a lot of will being imposed on any of his teams in the 6 years he’s been here. He seems a bit too lazze faire With his sideline coaching as evidenced by his lack of time out usage when things get sideways like 8 minute scoring droughts or kids not executing his offense.

What happens to a program that keeps missing the tournament year after year and keeps their coach? I have no interested in becoming Richmond.
The situation at Richmond is much different. They’ve had several losing or close to .500 records at the end of seasons. They also have much more difficult admission standards and a different mission with respect to athletics.

I don’t see us slipping to Richmond level bad seasons anytime soon. If that starts happening I’m sure the leash wouldn’t be as long as it has been for Mooney.

PhantomRam

Elite Member
The situation at Richmond is much different. They’ve had several losing or close to .500 records at the end of seasons. They also have much more difficult admission standards and a different mission with respect to athletics.

I don’t see us slipping to Richmond level bad seasons anytime soon. If that starts happening I’m sure the leash wouldn’t be as long as it has been for Mooney.
Yes, however we can get to Richmond level without being at Richmond’s level. Meaning our expectations are higher than Richmond. Therefore even though we may not have losing seasons we’ve still settled into accepting something less than stellar. Compared to past years and what supposedly the aim of our administration is

VCU85

Elite Member
a loss by 1 is the same as a loss by 30.

if margin means so much, what VCU coaches have the largest winning margins? please don't look up for me, because I don't care.
Not so much. A loss is a loss of course, but a loss by 1 means you’ve been in the game, and just missed out winning.

A loss by 30 means you were never in the game, and there are serious problems going on with your team (at least that night, but there are probably more in depth issues going on).