The Official Beat the Memphis Tigers in Tennessee Thread

GuardTheArc

Elite Member
Committee looks at late season performances harder than early season. That’s long been known they pick who is hot. Finish the job against Davidson at home, don’t get blown out at home by Dayton, get a win at SLU as well get a couple of wins in the A10 tourney and we would have been right in the discussion/possibly in.

Wrong (and clueless). Posts way too much as well (and so often misinformed).

RamDanFan

Elite Member
This must be the “eat your own and win the internet” thread. I guess it is a good one to do it in considering the result of the game.

Committee looks at late season performances harder than early season. That’s long been known they pick who is hot. Finish the job against Davidson at home, don’t get blown out at home by Dayton, get a win at SLU as well get a couple of wins in the A10 tourney and we would have been right in the discussion/possibly in.
Or in other words, if we had a different team and coaching staff all would have been well.
I really hope you stretched before bending that far.

We came up short last year, its OK to admit that.

First - the season isn't over - there's still definitely a ton of basketball to be played to say the absolute least.

Second - with the above being said, early-season Out Of Conference games actually do matter a great deal come Selection Sunday and that's why it's fair to point out that these losses we've had so far this season are actually quite important even if not having Ace Baldwin is a very legitimate reason as to why we struggled. The whole "end of season games matter more" thing only comes into play if a team is on some epic long winning streak after struggling earlier on the year. And all it takes is one loss during that streak before Selection Sunday to pop that bubble -- the committee will point back to your early-season struggles along with that recent loss as a sign you don't deserve an At Large. We see it time and again every year. So moral of the story is, these games were crucial and would have been huge to win or huge to lose. We can't afford many more losses in important games. Yes the Pitt win was nice but the ASU collapse and Memphis no-show were not nice. And let's not forget that we barely won the Pitt game and had some struggles in our earlier games before that tournament versus far lower-ranked opponents.

Third - everyone is welcome to their opinion on our program including the AD and coach, and it's good to see an increasing number of people on here who seem to be assessing things neutrally and not just saying everything is great while whistling past the graveyard. Having said all of that, I do find it amazing that some on here are saying that Rhoades should only be on the hot seat if he misses the NCAA Tournament for the next season or two in a row. I totally agree that he shouldn't be fired mid-season at this point, but to suggest that even if he misses the NCAA Tournament this year, that he shouldn't necessarily be on the hot seat heading into his seventh season with zero NCAA Tournament wins is absolutely amazing to suggest. If we haven't already, we are going to turn into a UofR/GMU-style forgotten struggling irrelevant program sooner than later if we don't start making some waves nationally again, and you do that through winning big games and getting into the NCAA Tournament. And to reiterate one point here above, to me the AD and coach are linked in this case. If Rhoades goes at some point, our AD probably needs to go too.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
First - the season isn't over - there's still definitely a ton of basketball to be played to say the absolute least.

Second - with the above being said, early-season Out Of Conference games actually do matter a great deal come Selection Sunday and that's why it's fair to point out that these losses we've had so far this season are actually quite important even if not having Ace Baldwin is a very legitimate reason as to why we struggled. The whole "end of season games matter more" thing only comes into play if a team is on some epic long winning streak after struggling earlier on the year. And all it takes is one loss during that streak before Selection Sunday to pop that bubble -- the committee will point back to your early-season struggles along with that recent loss as a sign you don't deserve an At Large. We see it time and again every year. So moral of the story is, these games were crucial and would have been huge to win or huge to lose. We can't afford many more losses in important games. Yes the Pitt win was nice but the ASU collapse and Memphis no-show were not nice. And let's not forget that we barely won the Pitt game and had some struggles in our earlier games before that tournament versus far lower-ranked opponents.

Third - everyone is welcome to their opinion on our program including the AD and coach, and it's good to see an increasing number of people on here who seem to be assessing things neutrally and not just saying everything is great while whistling past the graveyard. Having said all of that, I do find it amazing that some on here are saying that Rhoades should only be on the hot seat if he misses the NCAA Tournament for the next season or two in a row. I totally agree that he shouldn't be fired mid-season at this point, but to suggest that even if he misses the NCAA Tournament this year, that he shouldn't necessarily be on the hot seat heading into his seventh season with zero NCAA Tournament wins is absolutely amazing to suggest. If we haven't already, we are going to turn into a UofR/GMU-style forgotten struggling irrelevant program sooner than later if we don't start making some waves nationally again, and you do that through winning big games and getting into the NCAA Tournament. And to reiterate one point here above, to me the AD and coach are linked in this case. If Rhoades goes at some point, our AD probably needs to go too.
Reminder - Shaka Smart is the head coach at Marquette.