The Official Beat The Mocs of UT - Chattanooga in the Stu Thread

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
Actually, a water moccasin was Chattanooga's first mascot back in the 1920s. It then became the shoe, and finally Chief Moccanooga, which was eliminated in 1996 when they changed from Moccasins to Mocs.
So it's just a nonsense word with a shoehorned mascot like the Hilltoppers? Why not just stick with the snake? I had no idea, this is fascinating.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
So it's just a nonsense word with a shoehorned mascot like the Hilltoppers? Why not just stick with the snake? I had no idea, this is fascinating.
Sorta. I'm not really sure why they didn't stick with the snake mascot, it would've saved them a lot of trouble in the future (generally, upsetting the local Native American tribe with your mascot is not a good idea).

The official meaning of "Mocs" is that it's short for "mockingbird", which is Tennessee's state bird.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
Sorta. I'm not really sure why they didn't stick with the snake mascot, it would've saved them a lot of trouble in the future (generally, upsetting the local Native American tribe with your mascot is not a good idea).

The official meaning of "Mocs" is that it's short for "mockingbird", which is Tennessee's state bird.
No chance they didn't backronym that, but at least the state bird gives them a flimsy excuse.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
To be clear, no shade. College mascots often don't make any sense (we're only the Rams thanks to an early AD being a URI alum, and don't think I don't wish we were still the Green Devils or Gold Devils if we're keeping the current color scheme). My mind is just blown it doesn't refer to water moccasins.

DickLawRam

Elite Member
To be clear, no shade. College mascots often don't make any sense (we're only the Rams thanks to an early AD being a URI alum, and don't think I don't wish we were still the Green Devils or Gold Devils if we're keeping the current color scheme). My mind is just blown it doesn't refer to water moccasins.
I'd love to be the Gold Devils. Have a busty blonde as the mascot "Gold Digger"