The Official Beat the Mountaineers of WVU in Sioux Falls, South Dakota Thread

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
We need to figure out the rebounding situation fast. Our starting bigs vs theirs on the boards 5 vs 31.

Tough night shooting but felt great being on the winners side of a bracket and today didn't hurt at all. Pure joy to watch the Rams during Turkey time.

When Ace figures out how to score on college level competition, look out! Jamir, MBJ and Jimmy look really solid to me.
Was thinking the same about Jamir and MBJ. Jimmy still looks raw but he does bring energy especially on D.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Starting means next to nothing compared to match ups. You realize that if you put Williams in the starting 5, when you go to the second 5, you lose the scoring punch he brings to that group.
Plus Williams brings leadership and spark on both sides of the ball. Put him the starting lineup and you could lose that. Unless one of the starters can dod that on the 2nd group.

Mar 1, 2015
I tend to disagree with you here. Most teams put their best players in the starting line-up and don't worry so much about the second unit scoring punch. Aside from Bones, maybe Ace, maybe Curry sometimes we have no real scoring punch with the first unit. I see no reason to start both Douglas and Stockard. Crap, look at FMooney, he plays his starters 35 minutes every night.
Hyland is the only good offensive player we have, right now. Ace is a freshman shooting 16% from the field. Two games, but has a way to go before he’s a threat. Curry and Williams were the next two top returning scorers at 4 ppg. They are Juniors and have proven to be poor shooters so far. Douglas is very limited but is playing within himself Stockard is bringing nothing. Probably statistically the most unproductive player on an 11-21 & 3-15 bad K-State team. I agree it is pointless to have them together. Neither rebound that well, Douglas has always been a decent defender. Seems like
Douglas > Stockard.

The Rams will probably need to press and score in transition to be successful. They are probably going to struggle scoring in the half court all year. This team can’t have 5 guys going 30+ minutes and play the way this team will have to play.

Offensive woes and and all, it’s been pretty impressive the way they hang around and stay in games so far. Gritty.

Who_Dat_Ninja

Top Member
Dec 3, 2016
Was thinking the same about Jamir and MBJ. Jimmy still looks raw but he does bring energy especially on D.
Our guys actually did a decent job of boxing out today... the problem is they had 3 huge guys that don’t quit on rebounds

that WV team does that to their entire conference

while you’d like to see us with an even split on rebounds... sometimes it’s just a personnel issue

we’ll be fine... coach has theses kids buying in on boxing out, which can’t be said for other vcu teams

Nov 20, 2009
Our guys actually did a decent job of boxing out today... the problem is they had 3 huge guys that don’t quit on rebounds

that WV team does that to their entire conference

while you’d like to see us with an even split on rebounds... sometimes it’s just a personnel issue

we’ll be fine... coach has theses kids buying in on boxing out, which can’t be said for other vcu teams
I agree that the rebounding discrepancy today was more about personnel. Stockard had position on his guy multiple times only to have his guy get the rebound over him. If it’s going to be like that then why not play Ward more, as he has the athleticism and reach to occasionally get a rebound.

Reactions: Who_Dat_Ninja