The Official Beat the Mountaineers of WVU in Sioux Falls, South Dakota Thread

Who_Dat_Ninja

Top Member
Dec 3, 2016
I agree that the rebounding discrepancy today was more about personnel. Stockard had position on his guy multiple times only to have his guy get the rebound over him. If it’s going to be like that then why not play Ward more, as he has the athleticism and reach to occasionally get a rebound.
Yea I agree.. stockard was out of position a few times on defense today and tried to play defense with his hands by reaching

If he’s gonna fit into this rotation he’s going to need to learn to have better footwork and get himself into position to make plays instead of reaching

but I’m with you - I’d like to see Has see a little more time

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Our guys actually did a decent job of boxing out today... the problem is they had 3 huge guys that don’t quit on rebounds

that WV team does that to their entire conference

while you’d like to see us with an even split on rebounds... sometimes it’s just a personnel issue

we’ll be fine... coach has theses kids buying in on boxing out, which can’t be said for other vcu teams
Look I get it. I agree with what you state regarding WVA. That wasn't lost on me. I didnt expect a win but man was I hoping. I dont agree that we did a good job boxing out. Boxing out means clearing space and getting their guys away from the glass.

However, Corey and Stockard are both 5th year guys and didnt give up that much height to the WVA guys. Medley-Bacon is a 7 footer who is 245 he wasn't really outsized. Hasaan yes, and the two freshman well they are freshman. They could have done better on the boards.

I didnt think splitting on the boards was an option but WVA got way too many second chance shots and unless Patrick Ewing, Akeem, and Sam Perkins are all on the court against us, we should have been better.

Finally, nothing in my post suggested that we arent anything but fine. We'll be better than advertised, a spoiler this year. I am good with that.

Last edited:

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Yesterday, I think it showed some heart and helped more than it hurt. He just looked down at the player on this one, didn't see him 'step over' the guy as suggested.
Yesterdays Tech was flat out stupid! It didnt show heart it showed immaturity. We were down against a better veteran team, and he gets into an argument with an opposing player who had just given one of our guys a shoulder tap and a what's up.

He got slightly tangled up with a bigger stronger guy who wasn't being aggressive. That could have ended a lot worse for us.

Fire is one thing mistakes are another.

Bones will figure it out and learn to channel a bit better. I am all in.

Last edited:

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
At the end of the day, while I love the potential I'm seeing from our guards and wings, I'm afraid this year's team is going to be severely hampered by our bigs. Corey is limited, Ward is raw, and the two transfers are terrible. WVU was thus a really tough game for us. It's a good thing we don't play in the Big 12.

Reactions: Newboy and Ramdog

KentuckyRam

Insider
Jul 16, 2009
I have a question for all the rules experts in this group. . Have they changed the rule of what we call “over the back”? Seemed there were many times in today’s game that should/ could have been called and wasn’t. Has there been a rule change on this? Or was I just mistaken, which is also very possible. Appreciate the help here.
They definitely were letting it go but we seemed to get tougher as a result.

Reactions: mrgeode

KentuckyRam

Insider
Jul 16, 2009
At the end of the day, while I love the potential I'm seeing from our guards and wings, I'm afraid this year's team is going to be severely hampered by our bigs. Corey is limited, Ward is raw, and the two transfers are terrible. WVU was thus a really tough game for us. It's a good thing we don't play in the Big 12.
We have a guy that would have thrived in a tough game like this and he never got off the bench.

KentuckyRam

Insider
Jul 16, 2009
That’s good to hear.. did t know if it was a disciplinary thing

I think a back court of JMac and Tre Clark gonna be tough!
Put JMAC at the three. Clark can play 1, 2, and 3. MBJ at 4. Let Watkins backup the three and Vince the four.

Last edited:

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Playing West Virginia was really good for this team. Hopefully the kids learned some things about playing top level competition. The next step is applying what they’ve learned.

It sure looks like this team will fight and won’t lay down. That’s encouraging. We essentially played the Mountaineers about even after the first few minutes. We made runs in both halves to get the game to a single possession, but they did what top 20 teams should do: respond to our run with their own, never allowing us to get over the hump. The bottom line is that their bigs are more athletic and stronger than our bigs. Our most athletic big is Ward; the West Virginia bigs are as athletic as he is, but a lot bigger and stronger.

I believe this team will be better than many people think. However, with such a young team, there are times where we may look like a top 20 team, and still other times they will look terrible. Regardless, the future is bright. Our young guys are talented and will only get better.

I see some folks wondering about McAllister. He hurt one knee earlier in fall, and tweaked the other knee just recently. The staff doesn’t want to rush him back, but he should be ready to go in a week or so.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Playing West Virginia was really good for this team. Hopefully the kids learned some things about playing top level competition. The next step is applying what they’ve learned.

It sure looks like this team will fight and won’t lay down. That’s encouraging. We essentially played the Mountaineers about even after the first few minutes. We made runs in both halves to get the game to a single possession, but they did what top 20 teams should do: respond to our run with their own, never allowing us to get over the hump. The bottom line is that their bigs are more athletic and stronger than our bigs. Our most athletic big is Ward; the West Virginia bigs are as athletic as he is, but a lot bigger and stronger.

I believe this team will be better than many people think. However, with such a young team, there are times where we may look like a top 20 team, and still other times they will look terrible. Regardless, the future is bright. Our young guys are talented and will only get better.

I see some folks wondering about McAllister. He hurt one knee earlier in fall, and tweaked the other knee just recently. The staff doesn’t want to rush him back, but he should be ready to go in a week or so.
Completely agree, yestrerday was really good for this young team.

As for McAllister.... I'd much rather take his time & get fully healthy instead of rushing back. We've got a deep team right now & its prob gonna be at least a couple more games until MR starts shrinking the rotation for each game. Gotta figure out what all we got & who is good at what. He knows what McAllister can do, & there will certainly be a spot for him in the rotation when he comes back. Last thing we need is lingering injury concerns, playing less than 100%