The Official Beat the Mountaineers of WVU in Sioux Falls, South Dakota Thread

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
It might just be me, but Curry is getting way too many minutes. Yes, he is contributing. But, not at the level to earn 29 minutes per game. There is too much young talent on this team for Curry to be logging that much playing time. Maybe that changes when McAllister returns, but Curry is not an outside shooter and he is not finishing at the line when he gets fouled. 2-6 from the free throw line is not going to cut it.

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
It might just be me, but Curry is getting way too many minutes. Yes, he is contributing. But, not at the level to earn 29 minutes per game. There is too much young talent on this team for Curry to be logging that much playing time. Maybe that changes when McAllister returns, but Curry is not an outside shooter and he is not finishing at the line when he gets fouled. 2-6 from the free throw line is not going to cut it.
Still early and by all accounts he's been great in practice according to many. Hopefully Curry gets rolling in games or yes, his minutes will likely slip.

Feb 14, 2011
I'll take 29 min of Curry all season long, at least the first half of the season over any two freshmen sharing those 29 min. It's more about watching what is happening on the court and less about what is happening with the ball. It seems the newer guys have more composure when he's in the rotation.

Regardless I really like what I saw, certainly met my expectations. As expected; it's going to be a season where they will play games like a top 25 college team and some games will look like a HS game.

Reactions: Havoc2Ut2

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
Even though difficult to watch that game was winnable if we shoot decent from 3 and make a few more FT's. WVU was very close to giving up a HAVOC run a couple of times. Those guys will not get out rebounded this season. Just scary, but our kids played really good D and gave themselves a fighting chance. I like what I saw and this kind of game really gets the guys ready. They won't see another front line even close to WVU (few will). I expect our 4's will improve as they get into the season. Tonight's game is winnable if we play solid D. We get this one and the season is off with a bang.

To add, I liked the way the kids finally figured out that the wings WERE NOT the place to go and made a decent adjustment. We held them to 41% with most of their scoring coming 2 feet from the rack. Not going to win any games shooting 3-21 from 3 and 17-27 from the line. To look at the game score one would think we played poor D. Most definitely not the case. We'll live and die by havoc this year and win a lot of games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Love2Ram
Apr 20, 2009
I like Ace. But going against D1 starting point guards is different. Let Clark start. Have Ace go against and build confidence for a few games against back-up point guards. If he develops his shot, stops over dribbling and torches those guys, Great! IMO

Reactions: KentuckyRam

Rams4Life

Top Member
Insider
Nov 20, 2011
I like Ace. But going against D1 starting point guards is different. Let Clark start. Have Ace go against and build confidence for a few games against back-up point guards. If he develops his shot, stops over dribbling and torches those guys, Great! IMO
Can’t argue against playing Clark more, but until somebody else posts a 3-1 assist/TO ratio, Ace will be our starting PG for the next 4 years. Ace doesn’t need to score much, he needs teammates that will. He’s already shown he’ll find them. Clark’s extra minutes need to come from an upperclassmen.

I’d honestly like to see Ace and Clark play more together. Clark has good court awareness and cuts to the hoop at the right times. Ace has already shown he’ll find the cutters. I can’t remember a more polished true PG from day 1 at VCU than Ace. He was never a big scorer in high school, but took over games when necessary and showed he’s capable. I wouldn’t expect him to be a big scorer in college until later on, but he will make the scorers around him that much better right now.

Mar 2, 2014
I think Ace has enough confidence and talent to start against opposing point guards. Clark is perfect off the bench since he can back up Ace and Bones.

Reactions: VCUBeatsduke

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I'll take 29 min of Curry all season long, at least the first half of the season over any two freshmen sharing those 29 min. It's more about watching what is happening on the court and less about what is happening with the ball. It seems the newer guys have more composure when he's in the rotation.

Regardless I really like what I saw, certainly met my expectations. As expected; it's going to be a season where they will play games like a top 25 college team and some games will look like a HS game.

Bones needs help with shooting from the outside to take some of the perimeter pressure off of him. Curry is not that guy, and hasn't been his career at VCU. A couple of these young guys were recruited as shooters. I'm giving more minutes to them and hope it pans out as they get rid of those freshman jitters.

Reactions: 2012Ram

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
This may have been posted, but here's the full game:

Even during the cold, rough start, we did a LOT of good things. Many nice passes that will turn into highlight plays as the team gels, and defensive plays. BMB didn't play as badly as I thought at the time. Most of his issues were simply mental, he will come around soon. He could've had a nice baseline dunk/layup but barely stepped out of bounds.

I also didn't realize how many good things Dakich said about us. One thing was during the last 10 minutes of the Utah St. game, he thought we looked the best he's seen us look since the FF run, we were so "lights out". As we started to claw away at WVU's lead, he hopped on the wagon again. If he didn't ramble about nothing so much, he'd be fun to listen to.

We have all the pieces we need to be great by the end of the season. When things do click for us, they will CLICK click.