The Official Beat the Nittany Lions of Penn State University Thread

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
I was just on their forums and they have a "who to hire as coach" thread and the anticipated pay is 2 mill a year. They are all complaining that it should be three mill a year to get a decent coach.
Then I set off to look for a thread on who they are playing in less than 24 hours from now and not a single thread at all on either forum. With that type of fan support, I think 2 million for a new coach is about 2 million too much. Sheesh.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
I was just on their forums and they have a "who to hire as coach" thread and the anticipated pay is 2 mill a year. They are all complaining that it should be three mill a year to get a decent coach.
Then I set off to look for a thread on who they are playing in less than 24 hours from now and not a single thread at all on either forum. With that type of fan support, I think 2 million for a new coach is about 2 million too much. Sheesh.
Penn State is definitely a football school, first and foremost.

Nov 4, 2011
Pretty distinct size advantage on them. Not sure if the VMI box score is indicative of their normal rotations but really on play one big at 6'9 240. The other big who's 6'8 240 played 9 minutes and no foul trouble. They're deep at guard, but didn't shoot from three particularly well. Sounds like we need to run them off the perimeter, into the trees, and contest shots without fouling. Offensively take advantage of pick and roll situations and finish strong at the rim.

IstanbulRam

Top Member
Nov 29, 2016

70/30 Penn State to VCU in the article. The bit about VCU is below:

VCU went 2-1 in the Bad Boy Mowers Crossover Classic in Sioux Falls, SD over Thanksgiving weekend, posting double-digit victories over Utah State and Memphis sandwiched between a 78-66 loss to No. 15 West Virginia.

Fourth-year coach Mike Rhoades has been pleased with the play of a club that has nine underclassmen and was picked prior to the season to finish ninth in the Atlantic-10.

"These guys love to play basketball, and they really like each other. That's huge," Rhoades said. "And they also know they can get a lot better, too, and we're going to push for that."

Sophomore guard Nah'Shon Hyland led the way for the Rams averaging 16 points per game with junior forward Vince Williams Jr. following at 13.7, including 6 of 13 from the arc.

Williams scored 15 points and the defense forced 19 turnovers while holding Memphis to 35 percent shooting (20 of 57) in Friday's 70-59 triumph.

IstanbulRam

Top Member
Nov 29, 2016
While I agree that the fan support for the bball team doesn't warrant the $2 million or $3 million contract that seems to be the going rate for new B1o hires. Nebraska, a team with a similarly dismal basketball history, has agreed to pay Fred Hoiberg $3.57 million a year over the next 7 years.

The reality is these athletic departments with big name football programs have more money than they know what to do with it. Often this results in them paying exorbitantly when trying to coax a decent coach to come to their historically awful programs.

More surprising to me was the Pat Chambers was only making $900,000 a year while in Happy Valley. Rhoades is set to make almost double that at $1.7 million in 2021.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Kenpom has it 74-70 Penn State with a 36% chance of victory for the good guys. That said, he also predicted losses to Memphis and Utah State so who knows.
129103052_4725723650834693_1668199489582488919_n.jpg

Reactions: Ramcounter

duncanlamb

Top Member
Apr 22, 2009
Haslametrics is not kind to us. They predict a Penn State victory, 72-64.

We’ve got a Zoom Town Hall Meeting at 5pm tomorrow. We are anticipating vaccine distribution plan and surge update. So I’m recording the game and will watch it when I get home. Fingers crossed for a win and continued health/safety for all!
Post of the year.

• Wow
Reactions: SpiderRAM