The Official Beat The Purdue Boilermakers in the Emerald Coast Classic

SZQ VCU

Top Member
Insider
Dec 5, 2012
I’m disappointed in all of the stupid unforced turnovers and perennial problem with free throws.

That small arena did not look like it was sold out. (I know, I know, sold out doesn’t mean seats filled, but still...)

The announcers were horrible! (Sold out 40 games at home, blah blah blah) and the announcers had mild bias in their comments pro Purdue.

There was a graphic about how old VCU players are, but a few of those Boilermakers looked like they were 35! Only to add: the graphic about how much weight MSS lost using a photo with an aspect ratio out of kilter.

I’m hoping for a big turnaround today. We need to play like we are a ranked team.

@SpiderRAM just added a few things to your post.

HTTRams!

Top Member
Jan 18, 2014
Last night, after a date night out with the wife and a few drinks, I came home and watched the game. I went out to twitter and saw ME call out fans critical of him and I commented, with some critical comments as well but, never cursed or verbally assaulted him. This is a DM I got. This is our senior PG. Before I have the homers attack, I don’t care what you have to say. If this is what he does, worrying about people being critical, where he has time after a loss at THREE AM, three frickin AM, to direct message someone on Twitter after the performance he had, then there’s a problem and he needs to delete his account. And don’t come at me with, you are an idiot and never coached or blah blah blah, because I have coached,, been around the game all my life, was around when my cousin played ball against Bogan’s and forte....I can keep going, but the point is, get off social media and stop worrying about fans who have every right to be critical.

Last edited:

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
PURDUE OBSERVATIONS:

Pathetic offensive display. 67 possessions - 56 points, 21 turnovers, 3-17 from three, numerous wild/contested shots, 19 buckets total; MSS misses 5 of 6 critical FTs down the stretch. Frankly, it was embarrassing (turnover/brick/slop-fest)...........especially that first 10 minutes.

Five senior guards/wings - none of them stepped up when we needed it.

Crowfield continually provides (way too many) empty minutes. Plays scared/timid.

We get smoked on the boards playing a big/tall team but no MSS/Douglas combos for short stints. On this night, we could've used a few offensive tip-ins, put-backs, etc.

Minus MSS (FG %), everything/everyone was mediocre/bad (Evans particularly) at the offensive end...........decision making, execution, creativity, etc.

Step away from the Siegel Center (supportive crowds, favorable whistles, familiar shooting backdrop) and we look absolutely lost/futile on offense for much of the evening.

Mike's general "timeout" philosophy is ridiculous. There were several instances where he should've called one. Game flow and momentum are key (especially in a tight back and forth contest) and it was obvious how flustered/confused/out of control we were at times.

Defensive effort and execution was fine/tenacious. 67 possessions, 59 points.

Purdue was quite pedestrian. They shoot 4 of 16 from three, make just 18 FGs, miss 10 FTs, commit 18 turnovers/23 fouls, and still snag a Top 50 NET win.

We left an important one on the table (we got this one last yr - vs Temple). Now the Tenn game is huge (for confidence, perception, Top 25, at-large resume, metrics).

Last edited:

irradiated_ram

Insider
Jan 23, 2013
Last night, after a date night out with the wife and a few drinks, I came home and watched the game. I went out to twitter and saw ME call out fans critical of him and I commented, with some critical comments as well but, never cursed or verbally assaulted him. This is a DM I got. This is our senior PG. Ilbedkre I have the homers attack, I don’t care what you have to say. If this is what he does, worrying about people being critical, where he has time after a loss at THREE AM, three frickin AM, to direct message someone on Twitter after the performance he had, then there’s a problem and he needs to delete his account. And don’t come at me with, you are an idiot and never coached or blah blah blah, because I have coached AAU 16-17 year olds, been around the game all my life, was around when my cousin played ball against Hogan’s and forte....I can keep going, but the point is, get off social media and stop worrying about fans who have ever right to be critical.
So you're mad because he also has a right to an opinion and a right to respond and be critical? Or that he was right about you not coaching or playing high level ball?

Last edited:

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
Last night, after a date night out with the wife and a few drinks, I came home and watched the game. I went out to twitter and saw ME call out fans critical of him and I commented, with some critical comments as well but, never cursed or verbally assaulted him. This is a DM I got. This is our senior PG. Before I have the homers attack, I don’t care what you have to say. If this is what he does, worrying about people being critical, where he has time after a loss at THREE AM, three frickin AM, to direct message someone on Twitter after the performance he had, then there’s a problem and he needs to delete his account. And don’t come at me with, you are an idiot and never coached or blah blah blah, because I have coached,, been around the game all my life, was around when my cousin played ball against Bogan’s and forte....I can keep going, but the point is, get off social media and stop worrying about fans who have every right to be critical.
Marcus is right. You are a clown.

Hops

Top Member
Insider
Jul 14, 2013
You don't beat many (any) good teams shooting poorly and giving up 21 turnovers.
We played out of control on offense - particularly in the first half.
Our team defended well, worked hard, but came up short.
No one, and no team, is at their best all the time (Kentucky-Evansville; Duke-SFA).
Win or lose today, we will learn a lot about the Rams (and ourselves as fans) in a few hours.

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
Love, love, love Evans. Fantastic, thoughtful and engaging kid. However at 3am, after a tough loss and a game against Tennessee in 13 hours, why waste time on nonsense like this? I know it’s a generational thing, but dealing with the Twitter dopes seems a waste of time and energy.
Whew boy. Doesn’t bode well for where his head will be today. Hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: NCRam

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Insider
Mar 21, 2017

so you antagonized a collegiate athlete who is the star of the team you support, when he responds you post a private message here and hope that it will reflect poorly on him?

Last edited:

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
I’m disappointed that our senior point guard stooped to the level of some of the jackleg donkey-holes we have on this message board.

But it is flat out emabarrasing that a random “fan” would go to social media to ask a college athlete if “he is thinskinned.” I can guarantee that this hack would NEVER ask that question to Marcus’s face, or Mr. and Mrs. Evans’ face, or Coach Mike Rhoades face. Marcus battled through two surgeries to wear the black and gold. He ain’t thin skinned. Only a “fan” who has “computer balls” is thin skinned in this case.

Attachments

• 6E82550A-79C9-4DAD-B4B2-8CFEDD27168F.png
    6E82550A-79C9-4DAD-B4B2-8CFEDD27168F.png
    222.9 KB · Views: 108