The Official Beat the Red Flash of Saint Francis of Pennsylvania Thread

ISwamRam

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
So, what's the 'skinny' on this game?
In my limited research, they're pre-season #1 in their conference...they shot 35% from 3 last year, but gave up as much on the other end...seem to be guard heavy (and smallish) and don't play great D.
I'm not an expert by any means, but this feels like it could be another 90-50-something outcome.

urmite

Top Member
Mar 22, 2011
So is the NEC having an A-10 or Big East Challenge?

8 opening games are away, 6 are:
VCU, URI, Fordham
Providence, Seton Hall, Georgetown

Who_Dat_Ninja

Top Member
Dec 3, 2016
Looks like they lost a lot of experience from last year. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th leading scorers are all gone... They have a little height with 4 guys 6'8" or better (although it looks like only one of them saw any court time last year).

They had 18 wins '18-'19 so they aren't a dumpster fire, but they didn't really have any significant wins. They played Buffalo, UCLA, UNC and VA Tech... and none of those games were close.

They did win the regular season in the NEC. Made it to their championship game where they lost to Fairleigh Dickinson (no. 2)

Not sure what to expect... but probably a lot of turnovers from some inexperienced guards that have never seen relentless VCU pressure and athleticism.

And from what I saw Saturday... Bones is the truth!

• Love
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM
Dec 2, 2012
Yeah, I would've thought our home team would be the primary for most like it is for us, after 6 months off. There was some nasty play, some things some people cou not see, but some rather relevant people in a particular place are talking about it right now. Check the VCU+ basketball fan group. Props to the west end group which really put it on last night unlike the opposite end we'd all expect would have been the loudest in the house.

Thanks for helping me fill in the "Our crowd energy level aint what it was" square in my Ramnation Bingo squad.

I wonder who will help me fill in the "we're back, baby, my ears are still ringing and it was louder than peak Shaka" square on 11/13/19?

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
Thanks for helping me fill in the "Our crowd energy level aint what it was" square in my Ramnation Bingo squad.

I wonder who will help me fill in the "we're back, baby, my ears are still ringing and it was louder than peak Shaka" square on 11/13/19?
Ima call it out when I see and feel it slackin, count on me for that. If someone feels offended that they aren't as dedicated a fan as the next when they sit it out for some other crap, or ride the game on a couch and let good tickets rot in their pockets instead of granting someone who would have gone the ability to go, Ima ask different. There's too much talent going on out there to turn a careless cheek allowing an empty seat to sit there. And those in there need to understand we have a reputation to uphold. The gold rush, cheer, players and staff aren't workin for us, they're working with us. We're part of the show. The fans in there are just as essential of a part as anything else. We gotta do our part. Or get called out for it like anyone else would (staff, player, cheer, dancer).

I hoping we can all fill in those squares. And call out when we don'y see that happening. Make it commonplace to make it hoppin. Leaders gotta lead, peer pressure makes the followers fall in line. If not we'll evolve into The Robin's center.

Last edited:

RamDanFan

Top Member
Jan 19, 2015
I’m just curious to see if we get a line on the game now that we are ranked. In years past, an early season game expected to be this lopsided would never see the chance of day at getting a line to bet on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ramcounter

Newboy

Top Member
Mar 2, 2014
St. Francis (Pa) has a number of former NBA/ABA players
Calvin Fowler (ABA)
Mike Iuzzolino
Kevin Porter
Maurice Stokes (very sad story, there)
Norm Van Lier

so, there you go
And if I am correct our field hockey coach came from St. Francis as well.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Mar 27, 2009
Ima call it out when I see and feel it slackin, count on me for that. If someone feels offended that they aren't as dedicated a fan as the next when they sit it out for some other crap, or ride the game on a couch and let good tickets rot in their pockets instead of granting someone who would have gone the ability to go, Ima ask different. There's too much talent going on out there to turn a careless cheek allowing an empty seat to sit there. And those in there need to understand we have a reputation to uphold. The gold rush, cheer, players and staff aren't workin for us, they're working with us. We're part of the show. The fans in there are just as essential of a part as anything else. We gotta do our part. Or get called out for it like anyone else would (staff, player, cheer, dancer).

I hoping we can all fill in those squares. And call out when we don'y see that happening. Make it commonplace to make it hoppin. Leaders gotta lead, peer pressure makes the followers fall in line. If not we'll evolve into The Robin's center.

Black sweater vests.

Reactions: Newboy

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
Looks like they lost a lot of experience from last year. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th leading scorers are all gone... They have a little height with 4 guys 6'8" or better (although it looks like only one of them saw any court time last year).

They had 18 wins '18-'19 so they aren't a dumpster fire, but they didn't really have any significant wins. They played Buffalo, UCLA, UNC and VA Tech... and none of those games were close.

They did win the regular season in the NEC. Made it to their championship game where they lost to Fairleigh Dickinson (no. 2)

Not sure what to expect... but probably a lot of turnovers from some inexperienced guards that have never seen relentless VCU pressure and athleticism.

And from what I saw Saturday... Bones is the truth!
They have a senior 6’5 guard named Keith Braxton that The Athletic ranks as the #16 mid-major player in the country. He’s a big time scorer and rebounder that gets a lot of double-doubles.

Other notable players in their rankings:
9. Grant Riller, 6’3 G (Charleston)
8. Jon Axel Gidmundsson, 6’5 G (Davidson)
7. Kelang Grady, 6’5 G (Davidson)
5. Obi Toppin, 6’9 F (Dayton)
4. Marcus Evans 6’2 G (VCU)

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
They have a senior 6’5 guard named Keith Braxton that The Athletic ranks as the #16 mid-major player in the country. He’s a big time scorer and rebounder that gets a lot of double-doubles.

Other notable players in their rankings:
9. Grant Riller, 6’3 G (Charleston)
8. Jon Axel Gidmundsson, 6’5 G (Davidson)
7. Kelang Grady, 6’5 G (Davidson)
5. Obi Toppin, 6’9 F (Dayton)
4. Marcus Evans 6’2 G (VCU)

Did you intend on the misspelling of Grady’s name—if so, phonetic genius, if not, unintended brilliance just the same.