The Official Beat the Red Flash of Saint Francis of Pennsylvania Thread

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Folks need to chill on the crowd stuff. If it continues, I'll be concerned. But it was election night, and that the NCAA decided to allow opening night to take place on election day is the dumbest thing ever. Last night, all eyes nationally were on Virginia. I am obsessed with VCU basketball, but even I was barely tuned in. Last year on election night I forgot there was even a game. It was the first time I hadn't watched a game live in person or on TV in over 7 years.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Folks need to chill on the crowd stuff. If it continues, I'll be concerned. But it was election night, and that the NCAA decided to allow opening night to take place on election day is the dumbest thing ever. Last night, all eyes nationally were on Virginia. I am obsessed with VCU basketball, but even I was barely tuned in. Last year on election night I forgot there was even a game. It was the first time I hadn't watched a game live in person or on TV in over 7 years.
Ummmm.....save the outrage towards the NCAA, perhaps ask why the deep state has set Election Day to interfere with the opening of basketball season. Priorities!

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
Really? I was a student prior to the Final 4 myself (07- Fall 2010 here)…. and even if there were only so many "diehard" fans as you call them... it was still better or louder than it is now.

The Peppas used to be in Section 35 before they expanded and took over section 33. Section 34 was always rocking because of the Rowdy Rams & the Peppas right beside us. We would start all the chants, haze the opponents and all that stuff. You know, you were there..... and sure they had t-shirts a lot, and had the 6th man rewards.... but those aren't the reasons the arena was loud & roaring back in the Pre Final 4 Days.... but more so because the students in that section were way more into the game & helped build up the atmosphere.

Sure Section 33 took a while to get it to where section 34 was... and before the Peppas expanded & took over 33, and then you had Sections 14 & 15 that were sitting on their butts all game, only time you ever really heard from them was during homecoming & then they all left right after..... now a days.... I feel like people in section 14 (which is general admission) are louder than the students are in Section 34.

And lets be honest, even the students now a days.... there's prob less diehard student fans than there were back before the Final 4 when we were there. Just calling it like I see it. Remember before the Final 4.... you had to line up in front of the STU hours before the game to guarantee a front row seat, or on big games.... just to get in the building. When's the last time you saw the line wrapped around the building for a game? Oh that's right, because the students don't need to now.... they can just print off their ticket that they claimed a week in advance and go get in line 30 minutes before the doors open in stead of 3 or 4 hours ahead of time.

I remember for the ODU game one year (I think it was Shaka's first year? Maybe the Final 4 Season)… in the middle of a freezing cold winter, it had been snowing & they had the Christmas Parade the same day..... The Basketball game wasn't until 8 PM that Saturday night, and there was already 150-200 students in line at 9 or 10 in the morning. Sure you can make the case it was because of the Parade.... but they coulda left after the Parade, gone back to their dorms for a couple hours and then came & got back in line..... but we didn't. We stayed out there the entire time.... and I remember one girl dang near passed out... fortunately the RMC Staff that day let her sit inside for a while right by the door & try to warm back up.

You won't catch the students doing that these days because with their tickets they don't need to line up that early for a game.... even for a big game.

I bet you I could even ask some of the RMC Staff who I know have been working hundreds of VCU games both pre & post Final 4 years.... and they'll tell you the Pre Final 4 student crowd was way more engaging in the game.... and I don't count the Banner as part of that.... cause we woulda done it during our era if we had one.

Also, here's another thing the Pre Final 4 Era did that the post Final 4 era doesn't do.... We got Athletics to get the Rowdy Rams (and other students who wanted to go) bus trips to regular season road games... JMU, odu, Mason, ur, William & Mary.... sure they were all in state games so it's easy.... but has the Post Final 4 Era Rowdy's gotten athletics to get the students trips games like GW, Mason, ur, odu, or maybe a game like La Salle or St. Joes whenever they have a Saturday or Sunday game. Sure it's a longer trip than any of the instate schools.... but if there's enough students that wanna go & would do it.... then maybe Athletics can get it to happen. We had usually 3 trips a year. Sure the post Final 4 Era has the bus trips too & from the A10 Tournament.... but the Pre Final 4 era probably would've gotten it to work too.... if it wasn't for the fact our tournament games were right up the street at the coliseum.

So yeah, I'm gonna have to disagree you on this one.
This is true. I attended VCU from 2002-2007 and while we didn’t always sell out, it was deafening inside the Stu even at just 50-75% capacity. The student section usually had a long line to get in. The student section was way crazier and more creative.

Last edited:
May 19, 2015
I don't think they announced it as a "Saxon Shoes Sell-out" last night--just a sell-out, which made me wonder if all the tickets had truly been sold, but people just didn't show up. Because I do believe they buy unsold tickets (whatever amount) so the streak stays alive.
I think they did say Saxon shoes sell out. I'm very sure of it.

Reactions: RAM7889 and DNB
May 19, 2015
Wonder how the Red Flash will do in their next game? They have some size and if they shoot a little more consistently, they can be a handful. They were good around the basket doubling and controlling anyone going in not named MSS. They were not the patsies I thought they would be.
Hope we get our outside shooting going and soon.
They will have their chance at da spidas

May 1, 2009
At the 4 minute mark they are all laughing and joking around. But at the 4:10 mark you hear the door open and shut hard and then all of a sudden the guys get much more quiet and serious. MSS pull over the stat sheet and just looks down at it for about 30 seconds. Did MR walk in the door or something?

Reactions: Havoc2Ut2
Mar 2, 2014
For the life of me I cannot fathom why VCU AD people are constantly going up and down the stairs in the aisle next to section 2. Is the Wizard of Oz at the top of the Stu behind a curtain manipulating them to be monkey soldiers or something? Some of them have headsets, there are bathrooms under the seats, what could they possibly be doing? Up and down, up and down. If MudKat was sitting in section 2 he would have gone postal a long time ago.
So glad to be out of 2.