The Official beat the Shockers of Wichita State University Thread

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Insider
The result obviously sucks, that said, there was real effort and the team didn't stop fighting.

I hope to see some changes:
> A change in the starting line-up.
> More of Bones/Evans at the 1/2.
> Greater support of MSS. (not sure how that happens, but he's constantly having to outwork 2+ players)
> VRN introduction of a 'fair-weather fan' ribbon for the trolls.

the shockers are built for a long NCAA tourney run. They start 3 big, thick, quick and talented pgs that can create their own shot and body up your guards defensively in the half court.

they have 3 6'10.240 bis who can all score around the basket and defend the post.

they play physical man to man defense and grind you.

they play physical inside out half court offense with great movement and cutting to the basket.

this team is an elite 8 level team.

HBK

Elite Member
One final thing: I think this is a game which showed how much we miss Crowfield. He has been our best shooter this season and he seemingly always makes the right play.

I do think Bones showed that no environment is too big for him. He was solid today.

Basically, they punched us in the face in the first 5 minutes of the game, and from there the game was even.

Newboy

Elite Member
Please show your work on that one.
Neither can play from the outside if needed. Douglass has no offensive skills and MSS can only play around the basket. How about a power forward who can play inside and also be a threat from the outside?

Cue the overreactions by the usual suspects. Here is what happened today: two good, evenly matched teams played and the home team played better and with a bit more energy than the road team. Nothing more than this at all.
WELLLLL - Kinda! We need to take 1 of these - to show we can WIN against the teams that matter!

A-10 is going to be a good conference this year AND we(VCU) should be at the top of the heap.... "To date" looking like middle of the pack...
I think most on this board would agree Dayton is looking like
How we would like our team to be at this point

HBK

Elite Member
Vann said there were issues in the locker room....there are some on the court as well
Vann said they were going through some personal things. That could mean anything.

LQuarles

Elite Member
Insider
Huh ? There are all kinds of teams out there, and you have to be able to play against them to go deep in March. Unless you have top 100 guards you need scoring or good rebounding big men to keep the defense honest, and spread the floor a bit.

There are times when you have to be able to change strategy, and not having enough big men limits what you can do severely.
We are the type of team that, with our style of play that we are determined to stick with, needs consistently good guard play. The big man should be the icing on the guard cake. At the end of the day, no matter who you're playing, you need your guards to get the important buckets and take care of the ball. When your opponents are consistently able to double and triple the paint because they don't respect your shooting, and it's a surprise when you do shoot well, it's a problem.

Last edited:
This isnt a bad loss, but our best win thus far is barely rpi top 100 on our home court.

There is a ton riding on our Dayton games now. Everybody is being cavalier in expectations this year because I think if we drop those two were out.

we better be dam happy with a split

Ramdog

Elite Member
the shockers are built for a long NCAA tourney run. They start 3 big, thick, quick and talented pgs that can create their own shot and body up your guards defensively in the half court.

they have 3 6'10.240 bugs who can all score around the basket and defend the post.

they play physical man to man defense and grind you.

they play physical inside out half court offense with great movement and cutting to the basket.

this team is an elite 8 level team.
They are if the draw us in the first two weekends

VCU85

Elite Member
Neither can play from the outside if needed. Douglass has no offensive skills and MSS can only play around the basket. How about a power forward who can play inside and also be a threat from the outside?
Fair enough, but MSS is great inside, and can rebound. W/MSS and Corey inside that's 2 rebounders, and Corey would probably be a more effective scorer with another big guy inside to take a bit of pressure of him. 2 big guys also become road blocks for guards to slash to the inside.

SWV

Elite Member
I understand the meaning, but hate that we have to say “this isn’t a bad loss.”

LQuarles

Elite Member
Insider
I think most on this board would agree Dayton is looking like how we would like our team to be at this point.
Heck I wish we could look like Wichita. They are playing the smothering half court defense we should be playing, and with a very young team. We are one of the oldest teams in country and still look like freshmen too often.