The Official Beat the St. Bonaventure Bonnies in Olean Thread

Warm up games are over. Time to really get down to business. As always, this will be a tough game, students or no students. I like our chances if we play elite defense for the whole game and offensively we run our stuff and take care of the ball. Would love to get Osunniyi into foul trouble. He gets away with a lot of moving screens IMO

DickLawRam

Elite Member
The team charter plane got diverted into Erie PA instead of Bradford PA (which is 20 miles from Olean), due to weather I presume. My guess is that is what the tweet is about.
As a man who semi-frequently flies out of Erie, I appreciate his sentiment.

peacefulbonnie

Elite Member
Warm up games are over. Time to really get down to business. As always, this will be a tough game, students or no students. I like our chances if we play elite defense for the whole game and offensively we run our stuff and take care of the ball. Would love to get Osunniyi into foul trouble. He gets away with a lot of moving screens IMO
Truer words have never been said.

For a kid that's played D1 ball for four years, every time he sets a pick or even puts the ball on the floor at the low block, my heart drops...Would love to see his shooting stats for when he puts the ball on the floor v. when he just goes up with it.

Hopefully the Rams players bought their parkas on this trip. Temperature should be around 15 F for tip, but windchills will have it down to -20F!

California dreamin...On such a winter's day!

Truer words have never been said.

For a kid that's played D1 ball for four years, every time he sets a pick or even puts the ball on the floor at the low block, my heart drops...Would love to see his shooting stats for when he puts the ball on the floor v. when he just goes up with it.

Hopefully the Rams players bought their parkas on this trip. Temperature should be around 15 F for tip, but windchills will have it down to -20F!

California dreamin...On such a winter's day!
He’s a little raw offensively but an elite shot blocker. Sounds like a typical January day in Olean.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
I have a good feeling about this game tonight mainly due to ST. Bonaventure's lack of depth. I think there are two keys to the game tonight in order to beat the Bonnies.

Tempo - VCU has the bench/speed and defense to run St. Bonaventure out of the gym. VCU needs to play intense 90 feet of defense all night long and wear the Bonnies' starting 5 down.

Stop Osunniyi - VCU has three bigs that can guard Osunniyi - Stockard, Ward and DeLoach. That's 15 fouls. VCU needs to pound on Osunniyi all night long with our bigs and wear him down. Also, I think running that trio at him all night long will frustrate him big time and get into his head.

The last 10 minutes of this game will make or break the Bonnies. Hopefully, they are pulling on their shorts and out of gas at the second half 10 minute mark and looking for the exit to the locker room.

GO RAMS!!!

Half-baked Mcbride

Elite Member
NAME
Jaren Holmes G 460 Minutes
Dominick Welch G 426 Minutes
Jalen Adaway G 410 Minutes
Osun Osunniyi F 353 Minutes
Kyle Lofton G 343 Minutes
Quadry Adams G 145 Minutes
Linton Brown G 130 Minutes
Abdoul Karim Coulibaly F 124 Minutes
Justin Ndjock-Tadjore G 17 Minutes
Joryam Saizonou G 9 Minutes
Olu Durosinmi F 8 Minutes
Total

I know we've been talking about it, but to actually SEE the disparity of minute allocation....it really drives home the myopic view of Schmidt's take on Team Play. It also explains the roughly 20 transfers of Bonnies OUT of the program these last 4/5 years...

It may just be one fan's opinion, but I'm definitely not a fan of ANY of that....

Love Coach Rhoades and Staff and Love our Rams!!!

Beat the Bonnies!!!

Last edited:

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
I have a good feeling about this game tonight mainly due to ST. Bonaventure's lack of depth. I think there are two keys to the game tonight in order to beat the Bonnies.

Tempo - VCU has the bench/speed and defense to run St. Bonaventure out of the gym. VCU needs to play intense 90 feet of defense all night long and wear the Bonnies' starting 5 down.

Stop Osunniyi - VCU has three bigs that can guard Osunniyi - Stockard, Ward and DeLoach. That's 15 fouls. VCU needs to pound on Osunniyi all night long with our bigs and wear him down. Also, I think running that trio at him all night long will frustrate him big time and get into his head.

The last 10 minutes of this game will make or break the Bonnies. Hopefully, they are pulling on their shorts and out of gas at the second half 10 minute mark and looking for the exit to the locker room.

GO RAMS!!!
you forget MBJ and, if they need fouls to give, Jimmy. VCU has rarely had the horses down low they have this year

GarseIronjade

Elite Member

GO RAMS!!!

I'll add one thing....attack the basket and make Osunniyi work hard on D. That doesn't just mean toss it into Stockard/Deloach/Ward, I mean Ace penetrating & dishing, Vince slashing in, etc. If we make Osunniyi react to interior passing he'll be less effective and prone to fouls.

If we get him into foul trouble we will be in excellent shape for a quality win.

We've been attacking the basket & dishing out for open looks much better of late. Let's keep that up & give ourselves good open 3's.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider

GO RAMS!!!
This and make Lofton uncomfortable, get him frustrated and make him see ghosts in the passing lanes.

Half-baked Mcbride

Elite Member
This and make Lofton uncomfortable, get him frustrated and make him see ghosts in the passing lanes.

Agreed....MAN, I am so glad that Adams and Mobley are gone...the way these last few years of gone I wouldn't have been surprised to still see them in their doodoo brown uni's

Also, putting Doug Brooks courtside in the snow hat might help make Lofton uncomfortable as well :lol:

McCallister tore his ACL after Watkins so I would say he is out for the season as well.
Thanks for the update! I used to be an ardent, over zealous follower of the team. Still love 'em , of course. I used to set myself up too much toward their success. I guess when you get up in years you become mello yellow (like Donovan?)! Should be a good one 2night. GO RAMS!!

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
IMHO, I don’t think fatigue in the way most think about it is as much of a factor as most people believe it to be. How many hours each day do you think a D1 basketball player spends playing? Where fatigue most notably shows up is in the mental part, the decision making.

The Bonnie’s are a senior laden team and as such a lot of what they do is muscle memory so mental fatigue is even less apparent.

While I fully expect us to win, I doubt it will be because we made them tired