The Official Beat the St. Bonaventure Bonnies in Olean Thread

SwiftyClown

Elite Member
I don’t know. He plays like basketball is a hobby for him. He seems slow to react and doesn’t position himself well on defense…unless he’s trying to challenge the 3 pt. shooter… I remember last year, he was actually decent guarding on the perimeter. Combine this regression, disinterest or whatever it is, with no development in his game offensively, and he’s become a liability out there. A far cry from the NBA draft board.

He was much better last season.

Gopher+RamFan

Elite Member
So you wouldn't have had the team play in the A10 championship game last season in Dayton or stay in that Dayton hotel?
I always forget the Conference moved the Championship to Dayton after having planned for the UR/VCU courts to be used. I blame them for our NCAA tourney game getting cancelled.

I was so high on Ward but since the Bahamas I am beginning to feel like DeLoach is quickly becoming our best big. To me it feels like his fundamentals and instincts are beginning to surpass his teammates.
What do you mean “beginning” to surpass? It’s surpassed, past tense.

I do. I also recignize it's hard to win when your opponent shoots 19 more FTs. You do understand that, right? If you do, the next question to ask is do you think VCU fouled that much more than the Bonnies?

Do you really think VCU was as physical as SBU at the rim? You really think VCU earned the right to have nearly as many FTs? How many drives did you see VCU do? SBU drive all game and other went to the rim or kicked out for a three.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
I was drinking the koolaid tonight for sure! We can do better and we will!!

The officials were the game like I thought. Called touch fouls and gave them shots, both Covid and Tequila and Foul shots from the line. We weren't afforded such.

Those past seasons have nothing to do with today. We were NOT mauling them today. Yet we got called for barely touching them as if we were mauling them. The Bonnies hardly got called for anything and they hacked us all night.

You think we deserve karma for past seasons?

REALLY?
No but it’s hysterical to whine about teams playing us physical. Old teams would have gone broad street bullies and started roughing them back until calms came. We got rattled like usual. We’re not tough. It’s why URI punks us. It’s why SBU punks us. It’s why SLU punked us year ago.
They lost one or two home conference games a year. We're pretty much even. Before someone gets mad and says "how about tonight*, note this game was in Olean, in case you're just going by the box score.
The fact that you continue to compare what we’ve done in the A10 vs Xavier’s time in the A10 is truly astonishing. They were a absolute dynasty. When they lost at home it was “Wait what?!!!” Moment. They absolutely ran ragged over the A10 year after year. We have a couple regular season titles and one A10 championship. There is NO comparison.

LQuarles

Elite Member
Insider
No but it’s hysterical to whine about teams playing us physical. Old teams would have gone broad street bullies and started roughing them back until calms came. We got rattled like usual. We’re not tough. It’s why URI punks us. It’s why SBU punks us. It’s why SLU punked us year ago.
Yeah, we'll just ignore, like an ass hole, the times we punked those teams.

Do you really think VCU was as physical as SBU at the rim? You really think VCU earned the right to have nearly as many FTs? How many drives did you see VCU do? SBU drive all game and other went to the rim or kicked out for a three.
Yes, I think VCU was driving just as much as Bonnies for the first 30 minutes but for 1/4 the calls. The last 10.mj s as VCU was trying to claw out of the whole, sure, we werent during as much.

Natty

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
I am not a basketball savant but I have to ask if we run pick and roll why don’t we ever throw it to the guy that rolls?

THIS!!!!

Related stat: Ward, MBJ, DeLoach and Stockard COMBINED for 11 points on just 8 total attempts. They were 5-8 (62.5%) on the night.

It's wild to have such long/athletic bigs these days but to see them struggle to get looks/attempts. I think Stockard and DeLoach are our only two post-up guys in that batch, but don't see many easy buckets these days for Ward or MBJ off of pick and roll action or anything really (both have true shooting %s in the 40s, which is shocking for dudes that long and athletic that should just be dunking everything).

I'm dying to see how we fix or attempt to fix that. The offense is pretty tough to watch.

Yes, I think VCU was driving just as much as Bonnies for the first 30 minutes but for 1/4 the calls. The last 10.mj s as VCU was trying to claw out of the whole, sure, we werent during as much.

If you really think we were matching SBU’s physicality on offense I got nothing to say tbh. I don’t how anyone with a straight face can say we attacked the basket the same level. We were already launching dumb threes in the first half and were lucky to not be down more.