The Official Beat the St. Bonaventure Bonnies in Olean Thread

Love2Ram

Elite Member
Insider
They lost one or two home conference games a year. We're pretty much even.
Wrong by a mile.

Beginning in 2000 (new arena) through '12-'13 season in the A-10 they lost exactly 11 home conference games. Dates were 1/23/00, 1/9/01, 1/7/03, 1/28/04, 1/25/04, 1/22/05, 2/2/06, 2/11/06, 1/25/12, 1/23/13 (VCU), 3/2/13. That's it. 11 at home conference losses over a 13 year period and included a stretch of five years ('07-'11) whereby they didn't lose a single at home conference game. When is the last time we could say the same? I don't think we're anywhere close to even with those results.

More recently they were an overall 1 seed going into the NCAA tournament.

buckwheat

Elite Member
There’s a concept (paraphrasing here) “never get too high after a win, and never get too low after a loss”.

Amazing that some of the same message board warriors, dating back years, still cannot grasp this concept.

We got beat badly by a better team on the road. BFD, it happens. On to the next one.

In Rambo’s defense, he’s a soccer guy so goalposts is a decent reference on your end. He’s never picked up a basketball in his life.

*Blocking. I’m uncomfortable with a unknown person bringing up my Facebook, groups, sports, etc routinely here when their posts are always hostile.*

Last edited:

RamBamBiggalow

Elite Member
Bruh it's the same every year with this team and this board.

*We lose to a decent mid major.*

One half says we should never lose to the likes of an Abilene, MR gets paid mills, etc etc. One half says oh they are a tourney team, experienced, a good team, will be dancing etc etc.

*We spank some cupcakes.*

One half says oh they are ranked 300. We suck. One half says oh improvements. A win is a win. We on a streak, etc.

*We lose close to a ranked or P5 team*

One half says oh we had them. Oh one posession. We scare P5s. Blah blah. We lost.

*lose to in conference foe by 20*

One half we shouldn't get blown out. One half it's a road game, they have 5 seniors, they won the tourney last year etc etc.

Like jesus, let's just be honest. We are an above average mid major that's it. That's our ceiling rn. We give P5 close games, but we lose. We almost win our conference, but we lose. We make the tourney, but we lose.

We probably make the tourney. We have an elite defense. If our offense was even mediocre we probably win a game or two. But our offense is not mediocre it's bad. No matter how much Curry plays D, he is a poor shooting guard that can't score unless it's a dunk in transition. No matter how much you think Ward is a lottery pick. He is a long athlete that gets you 2 pts and a rebound. No matter how much you love Nunn, he is a freshmen and went 0-7 tonight. Those facts will still be facts in March and it's why we will lose quickly.

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
As is my practice, I never go back and read what I missed in a game thread after a loss so I apologize for anything that may have already been said.

First, congrats to the Bonnies. Coach Schmidt did a masterful job with the game plan and offensive sets, time after time they were able to put a single defender on an island against two shooters. I could give other examples but I'll just say again congrats to the Bonnies.

2nd. Instead of doing a Nick Saban impression, I'll let hime said it in his own words. While the players you see may not look like Ace and Vince, who both had probably the worst game of the season, it is clearly those two to whom he is referring.

I don't know what the weather was in Oleans, but it was like a snowball going down hill. In an uncharacteristic manner, we started the game playing defense flat footed. The team did not stay connected and to use one of MR's cliche lines, we fought the game almost all night. From my view, and so far I have only watched it once, and that was while I was on a plane last night, the staff didn't try to make any adjustments until it was two late. Players had began to try and play hero ball and the Bonnies are to good for that to have any success.

Good news is the sun will come out today, we have a 2nd bite at the apple in March and plenty of good film for the team to use to get better and this team will get better

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
There’s a concept (paraphrasing here) “never get too high after a win, and never get too low after a loss”.

Amazing that some of the same message board warriors, dating back years, still cannot grasp this concept.

We got beat badly by a better team on the road. BFD, it happens. On to the next one.
We all get emotional during games, but it’s crazy how after almost every loss some of us have the same reaction. I can only imagine that preseason we figured we’d go 1-1 against Bona. Last night sucked but it’s also the middle of January so there’s a ton of basketball to play. On to the next one. I want to see how our team responds.

northernvatiger

Elite Member
I missed last night's game. What happened? Looks like we were run over by a freight train.

I haven't read through this thread, but only looked at the stats from the game. Seems SBU wasn't our only opponent last night. What's with the foul disparity? They took 3 times as many FT's as we did. Pretty hard to win a game when one team is 23-27 on FT's and the other only 6-8. What gives?

I hope we take the Bonnies to the woodshed when we get them in March at the Stu. Really sick and tired of that bunch from Olean.

HBK

Elite Member
That doesn’t change the fact that when we faced their physical teams we’ve gotten punked. SLU, SJU, SBU, URI, etc. How many A10 title games did we get pushed around in? Yeah…..

Literally makes no sense. I’m saying we won’t be enticing the Big East with lousy performances like this (Someone said they couldn’t wait for us to leave for the BE.) when we’re already a major uphill battle yet you are talking about me being desperate regarding seeing VCU in the BE. Not getting your point tbh. I seriously think you just showed up to try to talk 💩 again like usual.Personal vendettas always show through man.
An invitation from the Big East isn’t coming anytime soon, and this game at Bonaventure has absolutely no influence on that at all. Conference invitations don’t rest on the result of a single game. Regardless, we are in A-10, and will be for the foreseeable future.

All of this Big East talk is pointless. You’re more likely to see another addition or two to the A-10 at some point (Wichita State??) and maybe even a subtraction (UMass??) before we ever get an invitation from the Big East.