The Official Beat the St. Bonaventure Bonnies in Olean Thread

An invitation from the Big East isn’t coming anytime soon, and this game at Bonaventure has absolutely no influence on that at all. Conference invitations don’t rest on the result of a single game. Regardless, we are in A-10, and will be for the foreseeable future.

All of this Big East talk is pointless. You’re more likely to see another addition or two to the A-10 at some point (Wichita State??) and maybe even a subtraction (UMass??) before we ever get an invitation from the Big East.
I agree they have no incentive to add us currently. All we can do is position ourselves best we can. Do I think games like yesterday crush our chances? No. But losing in front of a national audience isn’t gonna help (I was responding to a person who said they couldn’t wait to ditch the A10 for the BE due to the officiating.). The coaching changes I would argue really hurt our chances stability wise (Along with the public thing.. I think if Shaka was still here there’s a good shot we’re in because of stability, our recruiting, high profile coach, and likely national profile we would have developed. Not necessary winning a bunch more but simply because at that point our profile would have mirror Gonzaga stability wise even if the accomplishments weren’t there. Having said that if our program continues to grow and Rhoades propels to a truly flagship position in the A10 with consistent success we might still get there.

SpiderRAM

Elite Member
Insider
What a bummer.😕
I don’t know. He plays like basketball is a hobby for him. He seems slow to react and doesn’t position himself well on defense…unless he’s trying to challenge the 3 pt. shooter… I remember last year, he was actually decent guarding on the perimeter. Combine this regression, disinterest or whatever it is, with no development in his game offensively, and he’s become a liability out there. A far cry from the NBA draft board.
Post COVID brain fog?

I agree they have no incentive to add us currently. All we can do is position ourselves best we can. Do I think games like yesterday crush our chances? No. But losing in front of a national audience isn’t gonna help (I was responding to a person who said they couldn’t wait to ditch the A10 for the BE due to the officiating.). The coaching changes I would argue really hurt our chances stability wise (Along with the public thing.. I think if Shaka was still here there’s a good shot we’re in because of stability, our recruiting, high profile coach, and likely national profile we would have developed. Not necessary winning a bunch more but simply because at that point our profile would have mirror Gonzaga stability wise even if the accomplishments weren’t there. Having said that if our program continues to grow and Rhoades propels to a truly flagship position in the A10 with consistent success we might still get there.
Do you realize the same officials do A-10 and Big East games? The refs are not conference specific. For example, Roger Ayers called Baylor/Texas Tech on Tuesday, Wake Forest/Duke on Wednesday.

GarseIronjade

Elite Member
Its a tough thing to lose by that margin. Respect to the Bonnies; they responded like a tough veteran team at the right times and put the hammer down when they had the chance.

Love Ace but he's not managing the clock well at all with possessions, 2-1 shots, end-of-half stuff. We really needs to tighten that up. Other than that, Ace just didn't play well, and they got us into foul trouble instead of vice-versa like I hoped. Vince's foul trouble really impacted our energy and ability to match the Bonnies intensity.

Hopefully we learn from this and work hard to improve. Lots of chances for our guys to prove we're better than that second half.

Do you realize the same officials do A-10 and Big East games? The refs are not conference specific. For example, Roger Ayers called Baylor/Texas Tech on Tuesday, Wake Forest/Duke on Wednesday.
I’m aware. As I said I was responding to a person who said they couldn’t wait to ditch the A10 for the big east due to officiating. I was pointing out people need to stop thinking we’re gonna just waltz into the BE and force a invite. I was stating besides our public profile and such national tvs beat downs don’t help the cause. They may not matter that much but getting your butt kick on national tv is never good for exposure.

KentuckyRam

Insider
Its a tough thing to lose by that margin. Respect to the Bonnies; they responded like a tough veteran team at the right times and put the hammer down when they had the chance.

Love Ace but he's not managing the clock well at all with possessions, 2-1 shots, end-of-half stuff. We really needs to tighten that up. Other than that, Ace just didn't play well, and they got us into foul trouble instead of vice-versa like I hoped. Vince's foul trouble really impacted our energy and ability to match the Bonnies intensity.

Hopefully we learn from this and work hard to improve. Lots of chances for our guys to prove we're better than that second half.
We were looking prettty good til the end of the first half when those mental errors ended up in a 6 point deficit instead of taking the lead. Or maybe it was their defense.

Curry as a backcourt partner is a total liability against better teams. He can’t shoot, handle the ball, facilitate etc. Thats going to put a lot on Baldwin. Baldwin is a nice player, but it’s to much against SBU who are very strong at the guard and wing. Lots of guys who can give him problems. Add underwhelming play in the post, he’s not going to look good against them.

DisplacedRam

Elite Member
Insider
We will be ready for them on the return trip in The Stu BELIEVE THAT

And next season we will be even better and they will be praying that they only have to play us once.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
Welp, the ESPN curse still follows us. That was pretty much a national embarrassment. Hopefully the team bounces back. But credit to the Bonnies, they are a really good team despite having to take LaSalle to OT to beat them. I think just about every single one of our TO's was converted into points by the Bonnies. Out defense fell apart due to our massive foul issues last night. Levi played all of 5 minutes and got 4 fouls....how is that????

Vince does fill up the stat sheet with many positive attributes but he is also good for several TO's a game (although one was on a pass that was missed). Unfortunately, the Bonnies converted probably all our TO's into points. And I don't know how teams are out rebounding us when we have Ward, DeLoach, MBJ, and Levi as our post guys. Granted they are not all in at the same time but we have a pretty tall front court yet get out rebounded by 10!

Well, time to regroup. Davidson will not be an easy team either. They seem to always have our number.....or we split games with them. Team needs to focus and simplify, work on maintaining fundamentals and play within themselves. But again, all credit goes to the Bonnies. They were hitting on all cylinders and nothing we did could stop them. Team needs to learn from this and then put it behind them and move on. Tough pill to swallow especially when on national TV.

Personally, I think we should advocate for Mark Schmidt to get a new coaching gig in a better conference far away from Olean. Nothing grows up in frozen Olean.....go look for greener pastures and then let Olean fall back into obscurity. :)

SteveMM

Elite Member
No matter the reason, VCU laid a serious egg last night in Olean. George Templeton looks back at all of the gory details in the latest Rams Rewind.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
Curry as a backcourt partner is a total liability against better teams. He can’t shoot, handle the ball, facilitate etc. Thats going to put a lot on Baldwin. Baldwin is a nice player, but it’s to much against SBU who are very strong at the guard and wing. Lots of guys who can give him problems. Add underwhelming play in the post, he’s not going to look good against them.
Curry was our third leading scorer and had all of just one TO in 23 minutes of playing. I will agree he is not a big 3 point shooter but I disagree with being a liability. And who are you advocating to replace him who has his ability on defense? There is a reason MR has him playing major minutes.

Havoc2Ut2

Elite Member
Not pretty, but remember they have far and away the best first 5 in the conference a really good coach and playing at home. We were due to lay an egg. They did the other night and were very fortunate to not lose to LaSalle. We were out of sorts on O because they too play pretty solid D. They took a note from our gamebook and trapped us off our screens with essentially 4 very good guards and spread the floor very nicely so as not to allow us to trap. Oh, and giving up 27 FT attempts to our 8 didn't help much either. Onto the next...

Dr Joe

Elite Member
Insider
I remember now why I had to stop reading this blog. Play poorly one game and the team, coach, ball girls/boys all suck. We are a developing team who has to depend on 1st and 2nd year players to play as if they were seniors. Doesn’t happen that way every game, what a surprise. Disappointed, of course, but looking forward to seeing the development over the season, you bet. We got steam rolled last year the same way. Lost our composure and tried to do too much as we acted like we were down by 20 when we were down by 10. Lots of lessons to be learned from last nights game and I am sure Mike will be on all of them. One thing is for sure, I watched the Richmond/Davidson game and both those teams will require that we play stand up defense and share the ball on offense the way we did during our seven game run. One last thought, if you don’t think both Nunn and Stockard and maybe even others are not still suffering a bit from the layoff and the virus think about what it takes to be an elite athlete. In my mind, Nunn may be our best on the ball defender but he was a shell of that last night and as good as SB is (which they are) I look forward to seeing him at full strength at the Stu. Sorry for going on but GO RAMS!!