The Official Beat the St. Bonaventure Bonnies in Olean Thread

The two teams essentially shot the same from the field last night and most other metrics were reasonably close. We didn't play good D allowing their guards (who are very good) into the lane and had to foul a lot. If one were to look at the box score not noting the 27 FT's they had they'd think it was a competitive game. The refs had little to do with it. We didn't take care of the lane, they did and that's that. They spaced us well on our overplays and capitalized on it. That's good coaching and talent. When you give 27 FT's up it's not the ref's problem. I have no problem giving them up on aggressive D. That's part of the deal playing our kind of D, but you gotta get in front and slow them down.

These things happen. Winning conference games on the road is tough and last night we had 100% of 0 for St. Bonventure. Get back to Richmond, regroup and move forward.

Its a tough thing to lose by that margin. Respect to the Bonnies; they responded like a tough veteran team at the right times and put the hammer down when they had the chance.

Love Ace but he's not managing the clock well at all with possessions, 2-1 shots, end-of-half stuff. We really needs to tighten that up. Other than that, Ace just didn't play well, and they got us into foul trouble instead of vice-versa like I hoped. Vince's foul trouble really impacted our energy and ability to match the Bonnies intensity.

Hopefully we learn from this and work hard to improve. Lots of chances for our guys to prove we're better than that second half.
Exactly! As noted, winning conference games on the road is hard to do and given who we are, we're going to get every team's A game regardless. Best thing to do is get back to Richmond, regroup and move forward.

Havoc2Ut2

Elite Member
Exactly! As noted, winning conference games on the road is hard to do and given who we are, we're going to get every team's A game regardless. Best thing to do is get back to Richmond, regroup and move forward.
Anyone blaming Ace (I'm not referring to you) when no one else stepped up to get open is high. Bad night for everyone. It happens.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Anyone blaming Ace (I'm not referring to you) when no one else stepped up to get open is high. Bad night for everyone. It happens.

Ace did not have his best game, but VCU also had zero inside game last night. VCU got 9 points, 7 rebounds and 1 block out of Ward/DeLoach/Stockard. In the +/- stat, Ward was -22. That ties Curry (vs. Baylor) as the worst +/- games of the season for VCU. The next closest to that stat line are -14 (Curry vs. Wagner and Nunn vs. SBU).

Posters have said Ward is coming around since coming back from his injury, but I am not seeing it. I don't see the motor or the energy from him on the court. Not sure what's going on, but it needs to be fixed. Right now, you just don't know what you are going to get from either Ward or Curry game to game, and their +/- stats are showing it.

Last edited:

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Ace did not have his best game, but VCU also had zero inside game last night. VCU got 9 points, 7 rebounds and zero blocks out of Ward/DeLoach/Stockard. In the +/- stat, Ward was -22. That ties Curry (vs. Baylor) as the worst +/- games of the season for VCU. The next closest to that stat line are -14 (Curry vs. Wagner and Nunn vs. SBU).

Posters have said Ward is coming around since coming back from his injury, but I am not seeing it. I don't see the motor or the energy from him on the court. Not sure what's going on, but it needs to be fixed. Right now, you just don't know what you are going to get from either Ward or Curry game to game, and their +/- stats are showing it.
DeLoach is definitely outplaying Ward right now. Stockard was outplaying them both before the COVID pause but he’s showing some rust, so right now DeLoach is looking like the go-to big. I almost wonder if we should start him.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
DeLoach is definitely outplaying Ward right now. Stockard was outplaying them both before the COVID pause but he’s showing some rust, so right now DeLoach is looking like the go-to big. I almost wonder if we should start him.

I like DeLoach coming off of the bench. It gives him a chance to see the flow of the game before seeing action. The problem is Coach Rhoades has been starting either Ward or Curry as that fifth starter after Baldwin, Williams, Nunn and Stockard. So, who do you start? Stockard is not in game shape yet due to COVID. He only played just under 4 minutes last night. It definitely didn't help starting both Curry (-12) and Ward (-22). Once Stockard gets his legs back, I kind of think VCU should be starting Tsohonis as the fifth starter and bring both Ward and Curry in off of the bench.

if they want to start Ward fine, but Deloach should be playing as many or more minutes. He some post game, and gives you at least some nastiness inside.

Stockard has a decent touch and can score some, but he doesn’t move without the ball or battle. We were actually out rebounding teams without him. Having more active frontcourt players positively effects team rebounding.

RamBamBiggalow

Elite Member
I just don't understand how they roll with 5 players and we can't even get them in foul trouble.

If we have as much depth as we say then the bench should have been hammering them and turned the game ugly. If Nichols is never gonna see the floor they shouldve have just thrown him on Oosunyi and let him foul him hard 5 times in a row.

It's crazy how SBU literally manhandled us off the court every time we play. We need to let them know they can't bully us, but they did.

Been awhile since I have posted but what the heck.....

Seems as if having a Friday night cold ass road game in Olean played with their heads. I felt like the game was going well----getting their 5 in foul trouble, getting a TO and a basket when they needed it---until that darn shot clock screw up. How the refs let the clock run down that much without listening to the VCU bench yelling about the clock is beyond me. heck they should have just let that tying basket count...or give VCU the option. That 6 point deficit when they hadn't scored in a few minutes was brutal at the end of the half was brutal That is when I figured they would get into trouble/a scoring drought coming out of the half..."if they get down by 10 early" trouble. Ugh.

Don't bash our team too much. Playing that kind of defense takes away from our O....to me that is just a question of rotation. Coach will get it figured out. At least we are home on Tuesday......

And I HATE playing on ESPN1 or 2. "Hey Seth (VA Tech poophead), check this roster sheet/talking points and sit on your fat ass and bash VCU from Connecticut (or wherever the f you were watching it on TV.)" Gee that was a nice dunk....oh wait, Seth has half the screen covered with some lame ass half top 10 graphic while talking about the big Duke game next Saturday. I wish they would just put us on ESPN Plus and let Robbie do the game. Put Dougie in the booth, it would be 100 percent better than lame ass Seth "still pissed that VCU and not Va Tech made the 2010-11 NCAA tournament."

rampart

Elite Member
It seems like everyone gives their best effort when they play us. To me, it felt like we were playing Overseas Elite. SB is well coached and the players are mature and physically strong. It's hard to stop their one-on-one drives, so we help out and foul or leave someone open. They also play good defense. We've got to figure something out or hope another team knocks them out of the A10 tournament.