The Official Beat the St. Bonaventure Bonnies in Olean Thread

Ramlove81

Elite Member
It seems like everyone gives their best effort when they play us. To me, it felt like we were playing Overseas Elite. SB is well coached and the players are mature and physically strong. It's hard to stop their one-on-one drives, so we help out and foul or leave someone open. They also play good defense. We've got to figure something out or hope another team knocks them out of the A10 tournament.
I got the same Overseas Elite feeling. Though I think if we had hit some shots we have been hitting recently and got a few calls we should have gotten from the stipes this game could have been a bit close, but we got outplayed as coach says, for sure.

I just don't understand how they roll with 5 players and we can't even get them in foul trouble.

If we have as much depth as we say then the bench should have been hammering them and turned the game ugly. If Nichols is never gonna see the floor they shouldve have just thrown him on Oosunyi and let him foul him hard 5 times in a row.

It's crazy how SBU literally manhandled us off the court every time we play. We need to let them know they can't bully us, but they did.
VCU doesn’t play particularly aggressive on offense. 250th in the nation in free throw attempts. I checked FT attempts for 40 min. The 3 best at getting to the line are MBJ, Nunn, and Ace in order. Not surprised, they are probably our most active and aggressive players. SBUs excellent and experienced guard play kept them in check (Dunn may not be 100%). It would be hard to be the aggressors against that group.

We aren’t not going to draw a lot of fouls in the post. Ward and Stockard are the primary bigs. Only Kern and Banks get to the line less per 40 min. Not surprised. Ward is soft and has no game. Stockard plays lazy and slow. Bigs worth a [email protected] are going to get fouled.

Last edited:

Newboy

Elite Member
Insider
VCU doesn’t play particularly aggressive on offense. 250th in the nation in free throw attempts. I checked FT attempts for 40 min. The 3 best at getting to the line are MBJ, Dunn, and Ace in order. Not surprised, they are probably our most active and aggressive players. SBUs excellent and experienced guard play kept them in check (Dunn may not be 100%). It would be hard to be the aggressors against that group.

We aren’t not going to draw a lot of fouls in the post. Ward and Stockard are the primary bigs. Only Kern and Banks get to the line less per 40 min. Not surprised. Ward is soft and has no game. Stockard plays lazy and slow. Bigs worth a [email protected] are going to get fouled.
Yep. We need for DeLoach to take it inside, convert, and hit the free throw after the foul. Needs some work on the FT's. Needs some additional minutes.

Newboy

Elite Member
Insider
i-will-do-the-opposite.jpg

I don't have any friends that are NE Patriot fans, but if I did, games like last night's have taught me how to empathize.

Natty

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
I like DeLoach coming off of the bench. It gives him a chance to see the flow of the game before seeing action. The problem is Coach Rhoades has been starting either Ward or Curry as that fifth starter after Baldwin, Williams, Nunn and Stockard. So, who do you start? Stockard is not in game shape yet due to COVID. He only played just under 4 minutes last night. It definitely didn't help starting both Curry (-12) and Ward (-22). Once Stockard gets his legs back, I kind of think VCU should be starting Tsohonis as the fifth starter and bring both Ward and Curry in off of the bench.

Ward's biggest struggle this season has been his offense....BUT, in-conference he now has an offensive rating of 123.6, which is VERY good and a true shooting percentage of 56.4%, which isn't bad at all and is trending toward his 60%+ of the last two seasons. Add to that he has the best defensive box +/- on our team AND...a history of good statistical performance....and I think you gotta ride with him. But I do think there is one key change to make with him...

If you ask me the change I would make in the lineup is going back to basically last year where you start Ward at the FOUR...not the five. You then move Vince back to the three, where he played most of his minutes last season (according to kenpom). Ace starts at the point obviously, then you go with Nunn or Tsohonis at the two (I start Tsohonis because of his 3-point shooting and you can bring Nunn off the bench for Tso, but then can leave him in and slide him to the point when Ace takes a breather and Tso comes back in).

I LOOOOOOVE DeLoach's potential AND his current game. I think he's our most well-rounded big man by a mile because he is playing the hardest I've ever seen him play, he has a better blocks percentage than Hason right now and has the best true shooting percentage of our bigs because he's got Hason's length and athleticism but is clearly more comfortable in the post than Hason, quite similar to Levi.

Jalen DeLoach in-conference rankings
Offensive rebound % = 15th
Defensive rebound % = 3rd
Blocks % = 6th
2-point % = 4th

That is essentially everything you want from a big man. He, in my opinion, is clearly becoming our best overall big, but I also think we've got a bunch of other good ones. If it's a tied game end-of-game situation though in March in DC, I want Jalen at the 5, no question.

But yeah, getting back to my original point and in response to the tweet, I'd start DeLoach or Stockard alongside Ward, move Vince back to the three and probably go with Ace and Tso as my starting backcourt because Tsohonis is shooting a BLAZING hot 57% from three in-conference.

Last year's starting lineup in the A-10 tournament (this year's version)
Ace (Ace)
Bones (Tso)
Vince (Vince)
Ward (Ward)
Stockard (Stockard/DeLoach)

Tsohonis has a higher assist rate and three-point percentage than Bones had last year. He's not the overall scorer Bones was, IMO, but I think you just keep it simple and roll with what pretty much the same game plan that was so successful last season.

Half-baked Mcbride

Elite Member
I would enjoy seeing that iteration on the floor with Tso and Curry coming off the bench for the backcourt and Levi and MBJ for the frontcourt

ANYTHING to get Ward back into the groove. He has produced the most disappointing results so far this season. VCU can't win without an element of Fear in the paint.
Fear of a block
Fear of having to alter your shot
Fear of having to make a bad pass

As a whole, our Rams played timidly against the Bonnies, and that was just plain WEIRD to see.....I mean, really weird. Like they were deferring to the Bonnies pace and style. Frankly, that blame falls on MR and Staff....let's hope lessons were learned as we host another team that prefers a particular style that we can't allow them to be comfortable with, especially in our house!!

rammad90

Elite Member
Plus their core consists of 5 Seniors who did pretty well last year. They are gonna be tough to beat. We let up and never did. They did what Senior teams do they had us on the ropes and they knocked are arses out.

Soft teams cry and complain, tough teams never forget the arse whooping and never let their opponents forget either. They have to come to Richmond. Things will be difference.