The Official Beat The Tennessee Volunteers in the Emerald Coast Classic

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
I was hoping for a few back cuts from our guys the way Tennessee was overplaying the passing lanes.

Mar 2, 2014
Hey! I'm not the poster claiming the program has improved. I said it has maintained vs. improving. Check your reading comprehension.
I think it is OK that we are maintaining. Better than going the other direction. No need to check my reading comprehension when you are checking it for me. :P

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
I think that's a stretch! Who? Marcus Evans, because he had a bad tournament? He can't play the 3 or 4 spot. Yes, Evans had a horrible tournament, but so did Isaac Vann. At least Evans openly plays with heart. Bones is NOT ready to take any starter's place at this point. And I don't think Evans is bad enough to move to the 2 guard spot yet, which is where Jenkins is playing. We're talking 8 games into Bones' collegiate career!!! And he has also made some bonehead mistakes.

What I am not seeing in this team this year is chemistry. We're talking 5 Seniors on this team and I only see one Senior willing to take charge of the team on the court. And that is Marcus Evans. Just Maybe, Vann, Jenkins and Simms need to take a good look into the mirror. And I'm not thinking it's Simms or Jenkins. If Vann also wants to be an alpha dog, then he needs to start acting like it. If not, some one else need to step up in his place, because I see no leadership traits in him or any visible fire.

And...MSS just needs to keep doing what he does. Be the beast he is in games and practice the heck out of free throw shooting in practice.
Man literally GTFO for even implying that Vann doesn't have heart. He has sacrificed so much for this program I don't even know what to say right now.

May 4, 2012
What is throwing what away? lost you.
Lets say we sell 6000 season leaves 1700. Even on the technical sellouts 1000+ sold at face value. Just wholesaling adds up. As long as Saxon is willing to wholesale i think its a good arrangement.

Nov 19, 2019
Lets say we sell 6000 season leaves 1700. Even on the technical sellouts 1000+ sold at face value. Just wholesaling adds up. As long as Saxon is willing to wholesale i think its a good arrangement.
the question is when we have 1500 empty seats, how many are Saxon buying and at what price and what happens to them? We have insiders that can find out anything else.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
the question is when we have 1500 empty seats, how many are Saxon buying and at what price and what happens to them? We have insiders that can find out anything else.
You realize that Saxon is probably not paying rack rate for the unsold tix. No inside knowledge as to how this AD handles it—but many sponsorships have all sorts of goofy riders in them—maybe they get unsold tix for 50 cents a piece, who knows or really cares? Not sure why it is such a controversial issue for some, it’s good press for the U and wouldn’t be surprised if some inventory is provided to charitable or youth orgs....it’s a good thing!

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
I have known the owners of Saxon Shoes (Gary Weiner and his son Evan) for 20 years. Unless I have been told misinformation, they are not buying the unsold tickets. They have a promotion sponsored by Learfield Sports Properties. Tickets are sold by VCU AD.
That said, VCU Athletic Dept hustles pretty hard to reach out to people/ corporations/ groups to move those unsold tickets a few days before each game. So I do believe there are unsung heroes stepping up and helping out and SS may very well be doing that as well. The Weiners and SS are first class folks all the way.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019
I have known the owners of Saxon Shoes (Gary Weiner and his son Evan) for 20 years. Unless I have been told misinformation, they are not buying the unsold tickets. They have a promotion sponsored by Lear Sports Properties. Tickets are sold by VCU AD.
So all this time we thought SS was buying the leftover tickets?

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
I call it constructive criticism, you call it throwing players under the bus. In reality, those scholarship players are throwing themselves under the bus on national TV with the same mental mistakes over and over. Our UCF performance was possibly the worst performance of any team in the entire Big Dance. Our star player as a senior should not have 11 fouls in 3 games. What we say on here is nothing in comparison, besides pointing out what a national audience obviously saw.
Outside of VCU and A10 fans, do you think anyone remembers UCF beating VCU in the Round of 64? UCF led Duke by 6 with 2 minutes to go in the Round of 32 and that's what the bulk of college basketball fans (casual and diehard) will remember about UCF.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
I don't understand why some folks attempt to rebut legitimate concerns with comments like "some think we should go undefeated every year". It's a silly comeback, and not close to true. Some folks would rather say that, instead of questioning why the crazy amount of unforced turnovers has been a broken record every year. Or why MSS is still our only consistent scoring threat on a team loaded with guards. We literally have the team to win these tournament games, but never mentally show it. Take just the ONE factor of the silly turnovers. If we actually take care of the ball EVERY GAME and not have 14 turnovers in a HALF, I guarantee we beat Purdue. Purdue had 18 turnovers. We managed to quite easily top that with 21! We turn around and take care of the ball better against Tennessee, then one of our other bugaboos, giving up easy layups and open 3s at the worst times, took over. We just never seem to mentally put just a couple of good things together at the right times, and as experienced as these guys are together now, there's no excuse for it. It's not too much to ask for your team to play smart basketball consistently, and the people who constantly defend the same mental mistakes and sloppy play are just enabling it repeatedly, or are content with just staying where we are as a program: a good midmajor that can scare P5 teams, and beat one every now and then.
LOL someone really needs to get laid.

Reactions: Newboy and VRam
Jul 14, 2011
I have known the owners of Saxon Shoes (Gary Weiner and his son Evan) for 20 years. Unless I have been told misinformation, they are not buying the unsold tickets. They have a promotion sponsored by Learfield Sports Properties. Tickets are sold by VCU AD.
That said, VCU Athletic Dept hustles pretty hard to reach out to people/ corporations/ groups to move those unsold tickets a few days before each game. So I do believe there are unsung heroes stepping up and helping out and SS may very well be doing that as well. The Weiners and SS are first class folks all the way.
So you are saying that Saxon pays Leirfield to sponsor, who then makes sure that we sell out so that they can get paid.

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
So you are saying that Saxon pays Leirfield to sponsor, who then makes sure that we sell out so that they can get paid.
I would have to read the contract. It may be like the 3 point shots or the dunk tee shirts. If no 3 point shots or dunks, then no sponsor tee-shirts. Why do people think they automatically agree to buy out all the tickets for every game. Do you have any idea how much that would be if even for $5 per ticket? Assuming there could be 400-500 tickets unsold (or more), It would be exposure to over $35,000 per year.
Go ahead and ask someone in the department. I am just going by what I was told. It's possible I wasn't told the whole story.

Last edited: