The Official Beat The The University of Massachusetts Minutemen Thread

Nov 26, 2017
Here's a differing opinion: I believe MIke Rhoades is a more capable coach than Grant, Shaka or Wade (throw in Polio, Smith and McCarthy} - and that will be proven in time. How does anyone think Grant, Smart or Wade would have fared taking over that dreadful Rice program?
Okay now let's see, Grant is in the top 10 right now, Shaka has a final 4 and Wade is the reining SEC champ. Dude just say no to drugs!!!

GarseIronjade

Top Member
Nov 16, 2016
You’re right, it’s a business, not a charity. My point of view is not strange at all. Most people I know and associate with feel the same as I do. Every school, team or company has a going rate for a certain position. The going rate for a VCU men’s basketball head coach got to 7 figures in 2011. It is higher at some places and lower a others.
It certainly is weird you think people won't resent some under-performing guy making millions while mismanaging a program they care about, even if you don't. If you don't care, why does it bother you that they care?

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
You’re right, it’s a business, not a charity. My point of view is not strange at all. Most people I know and associate with feel the same as I do. Every school, team or company has a going rate for a certain position. The going rate for a VCU men’s basketball head coach got to 7 figures in 2011. It is higher at some places and lower a others.
Yes, and it's that high because expectations are that high. You don't meet the fans expectations, you better believe people are going to wonder why the school is meeting your salary expectations.

Reactions: ssvcu90 and Mcuff

rammed

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Then don't come into a thread 10 minutes after we just lour 5th straight game. Sheesh. What did you expect to find in here?
Same thing after the last several games. If you want to pitch a fit after every game going forward, good for you. It ain’t gonna change anything.

Reactions: RamBo

92VCUpikapp

Top Member
Dec 21, 2010
LOL.....I have lived through a lot worse with past VCU Rams teams. This is just a couple of speed bumps.
But I do have to say that this type of play is a recruitment killer....especially for the teams we have recently lost to. We still have one open spot for this year and then two spots for next year. Instead of catching the highlight player it likely means again, seeking out the under the radar player whom you hope will explode when in college. It's tough.
I am just completely and utterly stunned by the poor shooting of this team in the last few games. I mean it is pretty bad especially by players who have all shot much, much better.
Layups are a challenge for these guys. Worst I’ve seen since 1988 and that’s saying something.

Reactions: mrA10 and RamBo
May 4, 2012
Hard to outrebound a team when you miss 37 shots. You can only get so many offensive rebounds.
The shooter always sees where the rebound is going to go. IF hes watching and following hus shot.
Got to be a priority in the game plan.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
You sound like those Spiders fans defending Mooney. Coach has been here three years now. That's plenty of time for him to put together something better than this crap.

It's obvious our coaching situation is dire, and it's obvious we can't afford to do anything about it for a couple of years. We're in a lot of trouble here.
Our coaching situation is not dire. We’ve got more talent coming in next season. We’ll have, arguably, more talent next season than this season. Unfortunately, it will be young talent, mostly freshmen and sophomores.

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
As a coach, it doesn’t matter whether or not you’ve recruited guys. Your job is to make them better by developing their skills and putting them in a position to succeed with those skills.

Our upperclassmen have regressed markedly across the board and the program is in shambles. That is 100% on the current coaching staff.
The program is not in shamble....the final part of the season is in shambles but not the program. We have some very good underclassmen and some very good recruits (on paper) coming into the program. The style of play has been shown to win the A10 and win 25 games in a season. We just need players who are hungry. I think we have senior who see the end of the road on their college career and have lost their appetite. So no, the program is not in shambles. But in a few short weeks, we will have to set our expectation to the level of a team that is in rebuilding mode.

Reactions: SpiderRAM