The Official Beat The The University of Massachusetts Minutemen Thread

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
LOL.....I have lived through a lot worse with past VCU Rams teams. This is just a couple of speed bumps.
But I do have to say that this type of play is a recruitment killer....especially for the teams we have recently lost to. We still have one open spot for this year and then two spots for next year. Instead of catching the highlight player it likely means again, seeking out the under the radar player whom you hope will explode when in college. It's tough.
I am just completely and utterly stunned by the poor shooting of this team in the last few games. I mean it is pretty bad especially by players who have all shot much, much better.
Oh yeah, I still have nightmares about the years after JD left. Daaaaark days. This has sucked big time, but they'll be OK. It just might not be til next season.

If they're just playin' possum...........

CasualObserver

Top Member
Nov 6, 2016
We paid Will Wade a million bucks when he started. We paid Shaka basically what Grant was making, even though he had never been a head coach a day in his life. Grant made basically what Capel was making. That’s how it works.
But, then the question has to be, is Mike Rhoades the best coach VCU can get for the going rate? I'm not saying he is not, but the question has to be asked.

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
Our coaching situation is not dire. We’ve got more talent coming in next season. We’ll have, arguably, more talent next season than this season. Unfortunately, it will be young talent, mostly freshmen and sophomores.
Sure we will.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
It certainly is weird you think people won't resent some under-performing guy making millions while mismanaging a program they care about, even if you don't. If you don't care, why does it bother you that they care?
Resent...really? I‘m actually starting to feel bad for those who nancy about Rhoades’s salary. They must have miserable lives to resent a guy because of his salary.

Reactions: PRock and SpiderRAM
Apr 20, 2009
Name one player on this team that night in night out consistently finishes at the rim. I can't think of one. The closest we got is MSS and if I'm coaching against him, he as a below average ft shooter is never getting a shot off. Pretty easy to defend us inside. That forces us to shoot outside. Now who scares you from there? If we get hot, can't remember the last time that was, call timeout because it won't last over 3 minutes. We're not very hard to out coach.

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
Given what we witnessed tonight I’d keep my money in my pocket concerning that bet.
His only error was continuing to play a player who is giving half an effort and going through the motions. Some of the guys were not effective but were playing hard and when subbed out the player who came in performed worse. Coach can't heal players and can't create players mid game. There are games remaining and those able to play need to assess how they wish to end the season. Do they want to finish with 9 straight losses or do they want to play as if it matters. There is no question that if we play as we played tonight, we will not win.

I am not giving up on our team, never will. I just hope each player can say the same.

There is zero need to blast individuals by name or attack our coach. Those of you reading this, if you really care then be there on Saturday afternoon and raise heck to let this team know that the fans are still fans.

GarseIronjade

Top Member
Nov 16, 2016
Resent...really? I‘m actually starting to feel bad for those who nancy about Rhoades’s salary. They must have miserable lives to resent a guy because of his salary.
You cannot be that dense. They don't resent the salary, they resent overpaying for a garbage product.

• Haha
Reactions: HBK

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
Name one player on this team that night in night out consistently finishes at the rim. I can't think of one. The closest we got is MSS and if I'm coaching against him, he as a below average ft shooter is never getting a shot off. Pretty easy to defend us inside. That forces us to shoot outside. Now who scares you from there? If we get hot, can't remember the last time that was, call timeout because it won't last over 3 minutes. We're not very hard to out coach.
So you're saying we need to log the game better?

Reactions: enonram

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Okay now let's see, Grant is in the top 10 right now, Shaka has a final 4 and Wade is the reining SEC champ. Dude just say no to drugs!!!
Umm .................. Shaka has a final four because he had Wade, and Mike Rhodes on the sideline wIth him.

Shaka by himself has been sucking ........ badly I might add.

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
Btw, where the heck has Litos been? I'd say Ram Nation is due for one of his essays. That's about the only thing that could make me feel better at this point.

Reactions: SpiderRAM and Nic

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
But, then the question has to be, is Mike Rhoades the best coach VCU can get for the going rate? I'm not saying he is not, but the question has to be asked.
Well, that is an entirely different question, and a very fair one. Kudos to you for bringing this up. I have always thought that when our job comes open, we should interview a number of candidates, even those outside of the family. My understanding is that our AD stayed in the VCU family with all interviews.

Reactions: CasualObserver

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
If I paid my lawnmower 50000 to mow my lawn and he did a poopty job I would resent him and his salary