The Official Beat The The University of Massachusetts Minutemen Thread

MemTGRS

Top Member
Apr 27, 2009
I hope you guys can land out of the 8/9 spot. I still think the Rams have a respectable chance to win the A-10 tournament if on the other side of the bracket from Dayton. I agree with what someone noted previously that the #10 seed is more desirable than #8.

As with most AAC folks, I am desperate for us to invite you guys. But at no point do I think that VCU would necessarily accept.

But where this is timely is where I break from many --- I have had my eyes for quite a while on a long overdue resurgence of UMass hoops. I like a lot of the intangibles that they bring as a direct all sports replacement of UConn. Of the attainable options (yes, it is generally thought that the Minutemen would jump immediately if asked) for all sports, I am crossing my fingers that they are back on track.

Since y'all have now shared a league with UMass for almost a decade, curious to your thought. In my perfect world, we could also land Dayton for an even 14 and be ready to take on the world ... plus finally land that coveted Pac-12 challenge.

Peace, Rams!

Reactions: RamStrut
Apr 14, 2011
At one of the recent post-game press conferences, a reporter asked Rhoades why our guys didn't box out consistently. He said it was due to poor habits. That b.s. answer sheds some insight into the problem. He's been coaching these guys for three years now. Their poor habits are a reflection of his poor coaching. Period.
The lack of accountability is just ridiculous

AlienAiden

Insider
May 3, 2012
The freshmen have shown some potential. Next years class looks good on paper.

Player development is a red flag. Silva has made some improvements, but other than that can one player be named that has gotten any better while here?
Correct me if I am wrong here but the regular season is almost over and if you look at minute distribution you will see the large majority of minutes are going to guys that have not produced. Why not use these last three games to develop guys with some heavier minutes? Heck, coming in 10th at this point would be the best case scenario for a tournament run. If he gets them some confidence I could deal with upcoming losses and they are upcoming.

As Natty pointed about about Ward, he is effective when he is in but he rarely plays more than a couple of minutes. Last night was crazy to me with Douglas and Williams out. Instead of running with McAllister and Ward he chose to utilize Simms with heavy minutes. I love the guy but that was not the right answer. Simms is more of a role player but he has been getting heavy minutes all season. Someone mentioned Ward getting pushed around but poor Simms is being thrown into a position that he just cannot handle.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2015
I disagree with this assessment.

Ward played a total of 5 minutes. That's not really enough to make that big of a judgment, but if we want to dive into what happened in his five-minute sample and just how effective he was, here goes...

Had 2 offensive rebounds and scored 2 points on 2 attempts. If you stretch that out to a per-37 rate -- the amount of time Kel played, which led the team in minutes -- it's basically a 15-point, 15-rebound double-double on 50% shooting, which is a better rate than basically everyone who actually played and is certainly better than Kel's 8-point, 4-rebound on 18% shooting effort.

Hasan is raaaaaaw, but has a high ceiling. Rhoades opted to not use him and other young players with potential high ceilings in favor of some experienced low ceilings. What did we get? 52 points on 31% shooting against the nation's 169th-ranked defense and a loss to the nation's 176th ranked team, a team that is the fifth least experienced team in the country. We now have a losing conference record and are in danger of finishing in the bottom half of the Atlantic 10 for the second time in two seasons under our current staff.
All the young guys need more time.

Rhoades first season we were .500 in league and tied for 5th !!!

Reactions: RAMBALLFAN

ShoeSh1ne

Insider
Mar 7, 2009
The crazy/sad thing is that most of us can agree that on paper we have the ability to beat anyone in this conference on a neutral court and so it’s hard to not go into Brooklyn with some degree of hope. I want to still believe that anything is possible even though it feels desperate and insane right now. Perhaps it’s our culture of winning over the last 10+ years. As my hero Michael Scott says, “No question about it I am ready to get hurt again.”
As Michael Scott also said - "I am dead inside."

Reactions: VCUFTW and rvaram

AlienAiden

Insider
May 3, 2012
The crazy/sad thing is that most of us can agree that on paper we have the ability to beat anyone in this conference on a neutral court and so it’s hard to not go into Brooklyn with some degree of hope. I want to still believe that anything is possible even though it feels desperate and insane right now. Perhaps it’s our culture of winning over the last 10+ years. As my hero Michael Scott says, “No question about it I am ready to get hurt again.”
I definitely think this team could beat anyone but combos and minute distribution is a problem. In the grand scheme of things though the team is peppered with soft and tentative play and making a run would be nothing short of a miracle.

Mar 1, 2015
Correct me if I am wrong here but the regular season is almost over and if you look at minute distribution you will see the large majority of minutes are going to guys that have not produced. Why not use these last three games to develop guys with some heavier minutes? Heck, coming in 10th at this point would be the best case scenario for a tournament run. If he gets them some confidence I could deal with upcoming losses and they are upcoming.

As Natty pointed about about Ward, he is effective when he is in but he rarely plays more than a couple of minutes. Last night was crazy to me with Douglas and Williams out. Instead of running with McAllister and Ward he chose to utilize Simms with heavy minutes. I love the guy but that was not the right answer. Simms is more of a role player but he has been getting heavy minutes all season. Someone mentioned Ward getting pushed around but poor Simms is being thrown into a position that he just cannot handle.
I don’t get it. What more do you need to see? I guess he refuses to throw in the towel. If players are giving up, why bother with them?The younger players need run. It would be one thing to lose competitively but this is an entirely different level of futilely. I haven’t seen a team quit like this since the 2002 WVU team, and Gale Catlett was retired mid season.

Reactions: RamStrut

ShoeSh1ne

Insider
Mar 7, 2009
No new info here but I feel like I should at least put it out there:

Against SLU McAllister had 7 pts in 8 min, Curry 6 in 12, Ward 4 in 13 and Clark plays with a ton of energy. Against UMass those dudes get 3, 8, 5, and 4 mins? What?

And why is Crowfield being ignored? He's been solid all through his career and isn't getting many chances since he came back from injury. Put him him for 25+ min I bet he produces.

I'm a fan of MR, but these are puzzling numbers.

I think the key for next season is how competitive we are. Do we at least look like we're trying/care? Are we at least not giving up 11, 13, 17, 22 points runs?

Reactions: SpiderRAM

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
The freshmen have shown some potential. Next years class looks good on paper.

Player development is a red flag. Silva has made some improvements, but other than that can one player be named that has gotten any better while here?
Player development is a 2 way street.....but heavily leaning toward THE PLAYER's role in bettering him/her self. Do you really think Coach Rhoades is failing in that capacity?? You sometimes hear about players in the gym at odd/late hours working working working.....are our guys doing that? All I hear about is Twitter wars at 2-3am...WTF!!??
These players need a brute force mentality....muscle memory is built on mind numbing repition. Maybe our Seniors need to wake up the rest of the team and go run the darn streets of Richmond at the a$$ crack of dawn and then hoist up a 100 shots.
THAT is how you improve...
SO maybe our Seniors don't want that, don't wanna put the work in, don't wanna dig deeper, just wanna futz around with social media, video games, and gettin laid.

Y'all need to quit pushing the false narrative that Mike Rhoades somehow controls the hearts and minds of these players and put the criticism where it belongs....
On
The
Players

Seniors were 7-28 last night and were involved in a half of basketball where they scored less points than minutes in the half

@AlienAiden is right...the boxscore is depressing

Mar 1, 2015
Player development is a 2 way street.....but heavily leaning toward THE PLAYER's role in bettering him/her self. Do you really think Coach Rhoades is failing in that capacity?? You sometimes hear about players in the gym at odd/late hours working working working.....are our guys doing that? All I hear about is Twitter wars at 2-3am...WTF!!??
These players need a brute force mentality....muscle memory is built on mind numbing repition. Maybe our Seniors need to wake up the rest of the team and go run the darn streets of Richmond at the a$$ crack of dawn and then hoist up a 100 shots.
SO maybe our Seniors don't want that, don't wanna put the work in, don't wanna dig deeper, just wanna futz around with social media, video games, and gettin laid.

Y'all need to quit pushing the false narrative that Mike Rhoades somehow controls the hearts and minds of these players and put the criticism where it belongs....
On
The
Players

Seniors were 7-28 last night and were involved in a half of basketball where they scored less points than minutes in the half

If it were half of the players, I would lean towards the players. When it is all of them, that makes me skeptical. I don’t think MR has control of this team. If there are cancer(s), he has failed to cut them out. No control.

Apr 19, 2009

On
The
Players

Its on the coach because he controls how much those same players, you are complaining about, play. If it's clear that a player is incapable of making layups and grabbing rebounds, why is that player getting heavy minutes. The coaching staff sees the same crap performance that we see and has chosen to double down on those players.

Feb 5, 2015
Hey, don't be too hard on yourself. You will come back around as a fan. In the meantime, please send me any of your unused tickets that you don't want and I will be sure to give them to students. I PROMISE I would never sell them. I just want to be sure your seats do not go empty. Mobile Munchies can also help you with finding someone to use your tickets. Thanks! ;)
Oh we'll all still be going and rooting on our beloved Rams, just going to need some outside influences to help me get through this rough patch:)

Reactions: senor ram