The Official Beat The The University of Massachusetts Minutemen Thread

Mar 2, 2014
Could we just recruit a project 6'10" big? Maybe in 2 or 3 years he could be worth something. MSS can't cover the big guys nor can he make consistent layups against bigger guys. Yes, he is shooting 50% but should probably be 10% higher since all of his shots are within 5ft.

PhantomRam

Top Member
Apr 30, 2009
Could we just recruit a project 6'10" big? Maybe in 2 or 3 years he could be worth something. MSS can't cover the big guys nor can he make consistent layups against bigger guys. Yes, he is shooting 50% but should probably be 10% higher since all of his shots are within 5ft.
Not sure why everybody thinks a big guy will suddenly turn this team around.
We made it to the final 4 without a true big.
The difference? A 4-5 guy that could step out and hit long range....
I love MSS, but he is no threat outside of 3ft. (and some people want him to play the 4????, really).
Yes, we got hot and caught lightening in a bottle, but without Skeen, we do not sniff the F4.
Give me a big guy that can shoot outside of 3ft and make FT's.

Mar 2, 2014
Not sure why everybody thinks a big guy will suddenly turn this team around.
We made it to the final 4 without a true big.
The difference? A 4-5 guy that could step out and hit long range....
I love MSS, but he is no threat outside of 3ft. (and some people want him to play the 4????, really).
Yes, we got hot and caught lightening in a bottle, but without Skeen, we do not sniff the F4.
Give me a big guy that can shoot outside of 3ft and make FT's.
How long can we keep going at it with a 6'6" or 6'7" undersized big? Yes, the final 4, almost 10 years ago. Do you think that maybe teams have figured out our style of play after a few years? Just saying.

PhantomRam

Top Member
Apr 30, 2009
How long can we keep going at it with a 6'6" or 6'7" undersized big? Yes, the final 4, almost 10 years ago. Do you think that maybe teams have figured out our style of play after a few years? Just saying.
Reading comprehension is a beautiful thing.
Where did I say we should keep doing the same thing?

Mar 18, 2012
That would be the best thing to every happen to us. Bring everybody else down to the better seats and when the corporations want back, bend them over backwards. I haven't had the same people setting around me all year and when people are using them they don't seem to care about the game most nights.
I really hope this was said in jest. MONEY is what makes the program go. It takes money to recruit, to build top facilities and amenities to lure the exceptional student/athlete, to be an attractive school for when a higher level conference comes looking for a perspective replacement or addition. A successful athletic booster club factors in the overall success of an athletic program.

Mar 2, 2014
Reading comprehension is a beautiful thing.
Where did I say we should keep doing the same thing?
When you said why some people think that getting a big guy will turn this team around. Sounds like you are satisfied with the status quo, but each to their own. I am not here to debate. I would just like to see us mix it up a little. How are we going to play if we keep recruiting wings?
Maybe we have been working on the pack line defense in practice and we are going to break it out in the A10 tournament.

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
This season was in trouble in November. We barely made it through cupcakes at home, somehow pulled it out against LSU. Our showing in Florida (as a senior laden team returning 8 of 9 top scorers from the prior NCAA season) was not good. We were "close" against P5 teams bringing in a few new starters and still coming together - we should've been ahead of them. I don't know what happened this season, but I was met with jeers and asked to call my shot back in November and did. Unfortunately I was right, I hope our guys get healthy and fight back in the A10 tournament.

We'll be a much better offensive team next season (hard to be worse).

Edit: Oof - found my post from Nov. 30th
Same, I took a lot of heat speaking the truth after the Florida tournament but I turned out right. The UCF game wasn't an anomaly, it was the norm, the A10 was just bad last year. I'm just glad UVA has actually improved. There's still a chance we get it together for Brooklyn, but any wins will surprise me at this point. I just wanna see the freshmen get more PT and finish the season out.

Last edited:
May 19, 2015
Player development is a 2 way street.....but heavily leaning toward THE PLAYER's role in bettering him/her self. Do you really think Coach Rhoades is failing in that capacity?? You sometimes hear about players in the gym at odd/late hours working working working.....are our guys doing that? All I hear about is Twitter wars at 2-3am...WTF!!??
These players need a brute force mentality....muscle memory is built on mind numbing repition. Maybe our Seniors need to wake up the rest of the team and go run the darn streets of Richmond at the a$$ crack of dawn and then hoist up a 100 shots.
THAT is how you improve...
SO maybe our Seniors don't want that, don't wanna put the work in, don't wanna dig deeper, just wanna futz around with social media, video games, and gettin laid.

Y'all need to quit pushing the false narrative that Mike Rhoades somehow controls the hearts and minds of these players and put the criticism where it belongs....
On
The
Players

Seniors were 7-28 last night and were involved in a half of basketball where they scored less points than minutes in the half

@AlienAiden is right...the boxscore is depressing
I was trying to find posts that I could actually press "like" and couldn't find one, until yours. Thank you! You nailed it down to the likely cause and effect of the problems we are having. If the players are not putting in the time to improve their game, this is unfortunate. A bigger loss would be not giving minutes to those players that are sacrificing time and effort to improve their game and condition their bodies, whether they are freshmen or a walk-on. It is indeed a mystery.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
McCall fired his assistants last year after a bad year and hired new assistants that brought recruits with them.
What do you think the odds are he stays? I can think of, like, kind of a lot of programs who'd take him.