The Official Beat the University of North Texas Mean Green Eagles Thread

thelonious_chunk

Top Member
Jun 17, 2014
Is there anywhere to see statistics on how many points a player scores compared to how many points they give up on D?

VCU_Redskins

Top Member
Dec 5, 2013
Just got home from the game and read up to page 18ish

Methinks you guys really underestimated this team. North Texas can win their league. They're a good shooting team and can play some killer D.

These first few games aren't cupcakes and they aren't getting any easier.

I hope the players realize this too and step it up against fLSU next week.

Sep 2, 2013

Methinks you guys really underestimated this team. North Texas can win their league. They're a good shooting team and can play some killer D.

I agree with this. Saint Francis almost beat UR. I think these were two good wins

Dec 29, 2012
Slept on the emotions in order to tame them a bit, but general observations after last evening:
1. Our offense is still lacking pure shooters; yea we have guys who can shoot, but we’re too streaky
2. Our offense has to work too hard to get the open man the ball for a high % shot; even NT did a great job on their offensive sets getting a man open for good shots
3. Although we out-rebounded them, it felt as though they were better; they had multiple guys crashing the boards, and they were in better position for the boards
4. We didn’t win many of the 50-50 balls; in fact don’t recall winning but 1 or 2 of maybe 10; is that luck or hustle (or lack thereof; or is it being in the right position and hustling?)
5. While happy to be 2 - 0, we are not playing anywhere near the level of our ability; and suffice it to say if we play like we have the 1st 2 games then we’re in trouble vs lsu
6. While H Ward has a ways to go, I would’ve inserted him to see how he defended & rebounded - w/a short leash
7. Vince seemed rusty - a couple TO’s that were similar to him last season as a freshman - expecting much improvement w/him
8. As we’ve heard/stated in the past, much to work on, and much to work with.

Go RAMS!

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014

Yes, I expected them to be tough and any squad that plays D as well as they do will not be blown out of a lot of games. We all know this from first hand experience. They did a great job on the inside that I didn't think they could pull off. Very quick to the post and to the passing lanes. It's not like we were just tossing the ball to them on the turnovers except maybe Bones' toss to the crowd. I don't see a team in their league that can stand up to them. It is possible that this one ends up showing up as one of our good wins when all's said and done.

Another thing. We cannot underestimate the importance of IV. He took a real live Tech 2 and couldn't continue. A quite dangerous play. Hope he's clear to play Wednesday.

Cannot believe the ref allowed the screener to move into the defender like that. How do you miss that call????Without IV we lose a step. Vince will get his legs under him soon. Just hope they don't call the flop technical too much. He's an academy award winner.

Ref's stunk up the place. Got the game slowed down to a snail's pace. High school crew to be sure.

We'll be just fine because of games like last night. Guys now know they can't just show up and get the W. I saw some pretty fine play in the last 4 minutes when it counted most.

Final thought. Consider this if anyone thinks St Francis was a gimme game. We held them to 58. fur managed to hold them to "only" 98 and win a game they for all intents and purposes had lost. NTX guys would have sliced and diced fur up like a fat Thanksgiving turkey.

Last edited:

I4one

Top Member
Apr 29, 2017

Agree with post.

I think that this will be a good teaching moment for team. NT adjusted well after the half and we didn't. They are a good swarming defensive team.The way the good guys handled the pressure at the end, not to fold, was great.

Agree that VW is not game ready. He didn't handle the ball well and was a step off on his man on some plays.

By the 2nd half the Stu was getting into shape. There was a fair amount of empty seat but the noise matched the intensity of the game. Keep it up team.

How can someone be so open in the corner so many times?

Go Rams. Beat willy.

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, I think North Texas can be a very tough team this year.

They didn't have any good wins really last season, but they started the year 20-4 before basically injuries crushed them. They are full of smartly-added JUCOs and DI transfers and I can really see them taking a nice step forward this season.

They've got a tough non-conference schedule that included Rhody and Dayton and a game coming up next against kenpom top-40 Arkansas. I'll definitely enjoy rooting for them this season....and I mean, how do you not enjoy rooting for a team named the "Mean Green"?