- May 3, 2012
It wasn’t a good matchup for him. Ward will be very good, but he is a string bean. As physical as the North Texas bigs play, he would have probably been overpowered a bit in the post. A couple of those kids from the Mean Green look like they were in the 230 to 240 range.Was Ward injured or something? I'm also surprised so little time with 2 of the 3 "bigs" on the floor.
Really fun to watch a competitive game and always feels good to win but LSU would have stomped our Rams tonight I fear.
You make some great points, particularly #4. In our group last night during the first half, we commented that it seemed as if VCU was a step slow all game. It sure seemed like North Texas was getting to the 50/50 balls more than we did. That is NOT to say we didn’t give max effort or hit the floor, it just seemed like we didn’t get as many of the 50/50 balls.Slept on the emotions in order to tame them a bit, but general observations after last evening:
1. Our offense is still lacking pure shooters; yea we have guys who can shoot, but we’re too streaky
2. Our offense has to work too hard to get the open man the ball for a high % shot; even NT did a great job on their offensive sets getting a man open for good shots
3. Although we out-rebounded them, it felt as though they were better; they had multiple guys crashing the boards, and they were in better position for the boards
4. We didn’t win many of the 50-50 balls; in fact don’t recall winning but 1 or 2 of maybe 10; is that luck or hustle (or lack thereof; or is it being in the right position and hustling?)
5. While happy to be 2 - 0, we are not playing anywhere near the level of our ability; and suffice it to say if we play like we have the 1st 2 games then we’re in trouble vs lsu
6. While H Ward has a ways to go, I would’ve inserted him to see how he defended & rebounded - w/a short leash
7. Vince seemed rusty - a couple TO’s that were similar to him last season as a freshman - expecting much improvement w/him
8. As we’ve heard/stated in the past, much to work on, and much to work with.
YES, a top 25 team should put away a team like North Texas at home. You are absolutely right. We didn’t, but still got the win. We were far from our best, but still got the win. It is early in the season. Let’s see if our guys can build off of these two wins and learn from their mistakes.BS. That’s a team you put away. Particularly at home.
My friend bets on sports every day and last night he said, I think I will be studying Mean Green spreads and laying some bets on their upcoming games. Ha!How much are we betting?
A good sports book bettor takes many things into account. I would take the under when betting VCU and if the point spread is high I would probably bet the other team. They have not covered. That being said, depending on points I would probably take the points and VCU on Wednesday if LSU is favored.I'd take them against teams that can't shoot. Gotta stop giving these cupcake teams too much respect.
I totally agree. That is not the song you play when we are behind in the score or the other team just had a helluva run and they play it often during these scenarios. . But they sounded so professional, that they should record their music!!!!!Just lol at playing You don't want to go to war with the Rams after giving up this run.
RELAX man. It's the second game of the year. If we aren't putting Loyola (Md) and Fordham away come NYE then I will disappointed, but for right now we are working through the kinks that ALL college basketball teams must do to be successful. Enjoy the ride.BS. That’s a team you put away. Particularly at home.
Amen times 10.There is another team on the floor that wants to win just as bad, if not worse, than we do. I believe other teams, because of who we are, our top 25 status and wanting to beat us at the SC, have a bit more juice than a standard game. Do you think NT will play ODU with the same intensity as the played us? Sometimes you have to give the other team credit. At our level, the difference in competition is thin. Give our guys some credit, they gutted out a win. I don't believe a couple of our teams from past years would have. On any given night, there are no cupcakes. I get frustrated watching our offense too and I especially hate the turnovers, but I don't think for one moment that our players are not giving 110% on the court. Kel going 0-7 and then having the guts to take those 2 three pointers with the game on the line was huge. Much respect for that.