The Official Beat the University of North Texas Mean Green Eagles Thread

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
Didn't get to go to, watch on TV or listen to on the radio last night, sounds like they were flat ??

True ?? Reasons ???
I thought we lacked a sense of urgency. North Texas had many second chance rebounds and they won more 50-50 balls. I thought our defense was solid, but a couple steps slow on occasion. We shot the 3 ball well which makes me feel good about last nights game and our shooting going forward.

Today is a new day and on Wednesday we will face a new opponent (a good one too). I know some people on this boards will be angry all day because we did not win by 20 last night, but I am happy and ready for LSU on Wednesday.

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
Didn't get to go to, watch on TV or listen to on the radio last night, sounds like they were flat ??

True ?? Reasons ???
There is another team on the floor that wants to win just as bad, if not worse, than we do. I believe other teams, because of who we are, our top 25 status and wanting to beat us at the SC, have a bit more juice than a standard game. Do you think NT will play ODU with the same intensity as the played us? Sometimes you have to give the other team credit. At our level, the difference in competition is thin. Give our guys some credit, they gutted out a win. I don't believe a couple of our teams from past years would have. On any given night, there are no cupcakes. I get frustrated watching our offense too and I especially hate the turnovers, but I don't think for one moment that our players are not giving 110% on the court. Kel going 0-7 and then having the guts to take those 2 three pointers with the game on the line was huge. Much respect for that.
PRam nailed it, '85. On the head. Mean Green won't and ain't no pushover. No simple remedies for a team that rebounds, defends and shoots like that regardless of what people unfamiliar with them say. That was a rock fight last night. All night. Until somebody piped in that magic smoke, Da Rams really got hungry, reinvigored, and Kello came in with that tutu and rocked it out.

PhantomRam

Top Member
Apr 30, 2009
Flat? Umm, no. A team that is flat is not on the bench getting cramps rubbed out of their calf's with 5 mins left. A team that is flat does not hold the other team to 54 points. A team that is flat does not, on several occasions, try to get their fans to stand and yell. I team that is flat does not gut out a win after being up by 12 points, a team that is flat does not stroke 2 three pointers with the game on the line after going 0-7.
If you think they were flat, you were watching a different game than I was. If anybody was flat, it was the crowd, it was us.

Mar 1, 2015
RELAX man. It's the second game of the year. If we aren't putting Loyola (Md) and Fordham away come NYE then I will disappointed, but for right now we are working through the kinks that ALL college basketball teams must do to be successful. Enjoy the ride.

My bet is that come March we will look back at this game as one of the close OOC games that we held on to win even though we were a much better team --- just like St. Francis back in 2011-2012, Eastern Kentucky in 2013-2014, and Hofstra in 2018-2019.
I’m perfectly calm. Calmer than you are.

Reactions: Ramalama
May 4, 2012
The one encouraging thing to draw from this game, that 20-0 run. We showed a glimpse of how we can be
Seniors were more like seniors. We just need more than glimpses.
And start Vince at the 4 sit Kel. MSS needs that help.

Mar 1, 2015
I’m confident VCU will win the league. But like last year, the offense will probably be pretty anemic, for all the same reasons. Some games will be just like that one, should be over, then it’s anyones game. Really hard to win a tournament game like that unless the match up is very favorable or they catch fire by chance.

Reactions: mrgeode

SZQ VCU

Insider
Dec 5, 2012
That game was TOO MUCH for my nerves this early in the season! Especially with the same stress going on in the Robins Center. Sheesh! I’m thankful for the win, but seriously, is this what a top 25 team looks like?

I’m hoping beyond hope that our guys get it together before LSU comes to town. 😩

Why can’t the east & west ends stay in sync with the cheers? The DEFENSE 👏🏻👏🏻 is ALWAYS off!!! I don’t know why buy it bothers me way more than it should!
Honestly, west and east needs some practice. Hope they do before Wednesday. EVERYONE needs to be on the 10s including Ramnation!

May 3, 2012
PRam nailed it, '85. On the head. Mean Green won't and ain't no pushover. No simple remedies for a team that rebounds, defends and shoots like that regardless of what people unfamiliar with them say. That was a rock fight last night. All night. Until somebody piped in that magic smoke, Da Rams really got hungry, reinvigored, and Kello came in with that tutu and rocked it out.
I see you chanelled Kristen there.

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
There is another team on the floor that wants to win just as bad, if not worse, than we do. I believe other teams, because of who we are, our top 25 status and wanting to beat us at the SC, have a bit more juice than a standard game. Do you think NT will play ODU with the same intensity as the played us? Sometimes you have to give the other team credit. At our level, the difference in competition is thin. Give our guys some credit, they gutted out a win. I don't believe a couple of our teams from past years would have. On any given night, there are no cupcakes. I get frustrated watching our offense too and I especially hate the turnovers, but I don't think for one moment that our players are not giving 110% on the court. Kel going 0-7 and then having the guts to take those 2 three pointers with the game on the line was huge. Much respect for that.
This is true and the difference in talent level in D1 basketball gets slimmer each season.

Reactions: vcu70

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Okay. Here is the pre game scouting report of N. Texas from the coaching staff.

N. Texas will pack the lane, cut off pass lanes and forces teams to shoot 3's.

Here is the post game presser.

Rhoades: N. Texas clogged the passing lanes and forced us to shoot 3'S. We fought the defense instead of making the extras pass. We had too many unforced turnovers.

BTW, UNT was the smallest team in CUSA last year but 14th in the nation in defensive rebounding efficiency last year. Their guards are expected to long revounds and 50/50 balls.

If we can be more patient, work the ball from side to side, make the extra pass to the open man then we will be fine.

Another note: Marcus Evan's is 5 for 8 (62.5%) from 3 to start the year.