The Official Beat the University of North Texas Mean Green Eagles Thread

Dec 5, 2013
Lol you guys are funny... I didn't notice anything at all regarding the chants

Aside from it being a little quiet now and then. But that's what happens when you have 18 mood-killing turnovers.

I started at least 3 roaring/screaming sessions by slamming my feet on the stands in section 3 🤷‍♂️ I tried.

Reactions: Havoc2Ut2
Dec 5, 2013
Yeah, they were a cakewalk and a mid C-USA team until they almost beat us, now they are a good team that will go dancing. Funny how that works.
Nah

My friend that's in-the-know specifically said he didn't understand why people were acting like VCU was playing J Sarg because NT is good and could win their league.

We'll see in March.

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
Nah

My friend that's in-the-know specifically said he didn't understand why people were acting like VCU was playing J Sarg because NT is good and could win their league.

We'll see in March.
North Texas didn't look that good to me. Just another average C-USA team, actually.

With this many seniors starting, I'm worried about how we've looked these first two games against teams that aren't anywhere close to the top-100. If we don't see some real improvement, Wednesday night is going to be ugly.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Flat? Umm, no. A team that is flat is not on the bench getting cramps rubbed out of their calf's with 5 mins left. A team that is flat does not hold the other team to 54 points. A team that is flat does not, on several occasions, try to get their fans to stand and yell. I team that is flat does not gut out a win after being up by 12 points, a team that is flat does not stroke 2 three pointers with the game on the line after going 0-7.
If you think they were flat, you were watching a different game than I was. If anybody was flat, it was the crowd, it was us.
Uhhhh, I think I stated I did not see, or hear the game, relax.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Rough game last night but we managed to get the W! No doubt MR will have some things to point out in Film & Practice where we need to get better.... but honestly that North Texas team honestly reminded me of a VCU team back from our CAA Days.... A Team that obviously felt like an underdog against a quality opponent, a team that can certainly shoot the ball well from everywhere on the court just about.... and a team that played really tough defense.

I would not be shocked if they somehow make a run through C-USA & make the tourney.

That being said, I wonder if our players were looking ahead to the LSU game a little bit? Maybe some of them who were recruited by Wade, or left hanging by Wade when he bounced for the LSU job.... I wonder if maybe we got caught looking a little bit ahead of the game last night.

3 biggest things we will need to clean up for Wednesday if we are going to win are: 1. Limiting Turnovers, 2. Rebounds, 3. Better Shot Selection.... sure they may not always drop but like MR said last night... gotta take better shots.

Ultimately we got the W, which is what matters.... but we gotta play better Wednesday night.
Nope. They were a mediocre team. We overlooked them and played down their level. They are not making a run through C-USA and if they do that doesn't bode well for C-USA.

Bright side, we won and we have learned. Let's move on.

Reactions: RAMBALLFAN

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
The one encouraging thing to draw from this game, that 20-0 run. We showed a glimpse of how we can be
Seniors were more like seniors. We just need more than glimpses.
And start Vince at the 4 sit Kel. MSS needs that help.
If you set Kel for Williams then you lose last nights game.

Reactions: connell
Dec 5, 2013
North Texas didn't look that good to me. Just another average C-USA team, actually.

With this many seniors starting, I'm worried about how we've looked these first two games against teams that aren't anywhere close to the top-100. If we don't see some real improvement, Wednesday night is going to be ugly.
Maybe you're right.

Just saying that BEFORE the game, my friend commented about their ability. So not everyone thought they were cupcakes and then "changed their mind" once the game was close.

I also thought it'd be a tough game, for what that's worth (nothing, lol)

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010

You and 70 are both spot on. N Texas is going to win C-USA and wont be a contender for the NCAA tournament. However, we won and we should move on.

PhantomRam

Top Member
Apr 30, 2009
Uhhhh, I think I stated I did not see, or hear the game, relax.
I did not reference your comment specifically, I am relaxed, very relaxed, and I might add without chemical help. The overall tone of some of the comments did point to that however.

Ramikin

Top Member
Insider
Sep 5, 2016
I don’t know how good NT is, but they certainly knew where to hit us. They successfully shut us down in the paint: 26 pts to our 10.

They didn’t out rebound us but they made their offensive rebounds count, scoring 16 second chance points to our 7. They also produced more points off their bench: 20 to 14.

Looking at these first two games, if there’s been any offensive improvement, I don’t see it. With a team loaded with seniors, yes, I’d expect at least some continuity coming into this season. With 19 and 18 turnovers respectively, our first two showings out of the gate, our offense, if anything, has regressed. We kept St. Francis at arms length at least., but allowing NT to out score us by 8 points in the second half is a very bad sign.

After last season, our offensive deficiencies were in flashing neon. As much as I hate to say it, I can’t help wondering if they were addressed at all in the off season.

mglitos

Top Member
Insider
May 11, 2009
I don’t know how good NT is, but they certainly knew where to hit us. They successfully shut us down in the paint: 26 pts to our 10.
If I may, a few things stand out as I read through on a Sunday morning...

NT isn't a great team nor do they stink. However they are an upper-half C-USA team, which means they have good players. We didn't play well, but they were never going to be a pushover.

Also, any coach with half a brain gameplans to stop your most effective offense. You will have to beat them with your second-best thing. That's exactly what NT did...didn't allow us room to drive nor pitch in to MSS. Let's not lose sight of the fact that we hit 10-26 from three and other than the usual D that's why we won.

Related, you don't break down a sagging defense by throwing it inside/out. Putting MSS on the block makes the problem worse. You have to move a defense like that side-to-side to create gaps. Yes the VCU bigs were on the perimeter, but when the ball went weak side they flashed to the post, and then back out. You have to break down a sagging defense.

The common theme is something someone else mentioned somewhere in here: there are multiple ways to get the ball where we want it, inside or out. But we have to hit threes to be successful. It's a must-have. It's why I station Crowfield in the short corner and instruct him to be shot-ready every time down the floor.

And finally, if we play like that Wednesday we will lose. We have to play better.

EDIT: someone asked my bourbon of choice. It was Angel's Envy. I'm not well-educated, but I have a great advisor.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Got to love today’s world where great proclamations are made after some 18-22 year old kids played their 2nd game of the season.

Some suggest NT will fight for the CUSA title while others suggest they will be a middle of the pack. I watch a lot of college basketball, but outside of ODU, I don’t pay much attention to CUSA. I doubt many of us really pay much attention to CUSA. I have absolutely no idea how North Texas will fare this year in CUSA. They have some decent size and length. They have some talent, but they are certainly not a top 75 team. Should we have handled them easier? Perhaps, but we got a win and the staff can point out all of the correctable errors we made. Better to do so in victory than in defeat.

Being outscored by 8 at home in the 2nd half of the 2nd game is not a “bad sign“. It is one 20-minute half of basketball. A half in which we shot poorly and committed too many turnovers. We shot great in the first half, but had too many turnovers, or the lead would have been 15 to 20 points at the half. The biggest problem we have through two games is turnovers. Most of them haven’t been because of the fast pace of play. Rather they have been because guys are forcing things and not making the simple play. Again, all correctable.

Bottom line is that we haven’t played our best, not even close, but we are 2-0. Both SFU and NT will likely in the top 125-200 of the NET, I think/hope. One thing that helped our SOS last season was mostly avoiding the bottom 150 of the NET in non-conference.

I am certainly not a Pollyanna. We can’t play against LSU as we did against NT, or we will get beaten. However, it is too early in the season to be worried about VCU, especially after a WIN.

Mar 1, 2015

They didn’t out rebound us but they made their offensive rebounds count, scoring 16 second chance points to our 7. They also produced more points off their bench: 20 to 14.

Looking at these first two games, if there’s been any offensive improvement, I don’t see it. With a team loaded with seniors, yes, I’d expect at least some continuity coming into this season. With 19 and 18 turnovers respectively, our first two showings out of the gate, our offense, if anything, has regressed. We kept St. Francis at arms length at least., but allowing NT to out score us by 8 points in the second half is a very bad sign.

After last season, our offensive deficiencies were in flashing neon. As much as I hate to say it, I can’t help wondering if they were addressed at all in the off season.
Last year the offense was better the second half of the year. Evans PG was a lot better the second half after it being real problem the first half. He has stated this year with twice as many turnovers as assists. Team overall has that same stat line I think. Im sure that will get better as they get into it. Personnel issues are the same, so I don’t guess we will see a huge change. Not a great shooting team, there is a real lack of guys who can handle the ball and who can set others up, and we are not a big physical team. Some of that is being addressed by recruiting, but for now there are definitely weaknesses opponents can capitalize on with our offensive limitations. Grind it out and get to line I guess, not pretty but it can get wins with our strong defense. Rhoades seems committed to player freedom on offense. Is that the best style with this group?

Maybe playing two of our guards who can handle it a little better at the same time. Evans/ bones - Evans/Crow, and in Curry as he gets used to games. We never push a fast after a defensive rebound, don’t know what that’s about because I think we have some players suited for that.

Reactions: Ramikin

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017

NT isn't a great team nor do they stink. However they are an upper-half C-USA team, which means they have good players. We didn't play well, but they were never going to be a pushover.

Also, any coach with half a brain gameplans to stop your most effective offense. You will have to beat them with your second-best thing. That's exactly what NT did...didn't allow us room to drive nor pitch in to MSS. Let's not lose sight of the fact that we hit 10-26 from three and other than the usual D that's why we won.

Related, you don't break down a sagging defense by throwing it inside/out. Putting MSS on the block makes the problem worse. You have to move a defense like that side-to-side to create gaps. Yes the VCU bigs were on the perimeter, but when the ball went weak side they flashed to the post, and then back out. You have to break down a sagging defense.

The common theme is something someone else mentioned somewhere in here: there are multiple ways to get the ball where we want it, inside or out. But we have to hit threes to be successful. It's a must-have. It's why I station Crowfield in the short corner and instruct him to be shot-ready every time down the floor.

And finally, if we play like that Wednesday we will lose. We have to play better.

EDIT: someone asked my bourbon of choice. It was Angel's Envy. I'm not well-educated, but I have a great advisor.
Bourbon with some bite🥃👍

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009

Personally, I think VCU needed a game like that prior to playing LSU. There was absolutely no way to hide/ignore the warts from the North Texas game, which will make it easier for the coaching staff to address those warts between now and Wednesday. When you are ranked, you are going to be the hunted every game. VCU needs to be "A Game" ready to play every night.

With that said, I think you could also tell it was Vince Williams first game of the season. He struggled at times Friday night, just as the rest of the team did against St. Francis in their first game of the season. Hopefully, he knocked off some of the rust Friday night and will be ready to roll Wednesday night.